LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 200 users in the forums

Baalke Has a Fetish for Drafting Injured Players

Originally posted by NJNiner:
Originally posted by English:
Yeah, drafting that running back in the 3rd was a huge waste. What was his name? Frank Gore.

Think about it. Aside from the 1st round pick you are lucky to get much production out of your rookies. And we picked up Tank and Lattimore who were reckoned as 1st round material.

What's not to like?
Exactly!
What I think some people are missing is when you are a contender and you have good depth already on the roster, you can afford to take a chance on an injured player with great upside!
We get early round players whereas before we had no chance of drafting if healthy, AND we sign them cheap!
Sometimes taking injured players who fell in the draft can pay big dividends later on. I think we used a similar strategy in 1986. We were already a talented team and took a chance on two guys named Brent Jones and Kevin f*gan. Jones was drafted by the Steelers and was cut shortly after he was injured in a car accident. They both missed their rookie years but ended up being big time players for us.
It's actually a pretty good move considering it will let you carry more players on the roster in their rookie year. Can hold on to other projects that you want to evaluate further while the player is on the PUP list.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
I suspect they will be worth the wait. I think it somewhat ingenious approach. I'm good with it until it doesn't pan out.

I think it is ingenious as well. We can get quality players, let them heal, fill up the IR with quality players and allow them to come back and get some fresh blood in the end of the season as well as develop them for the next year. We will have quite the trainging camp next year.
Aldon was had big injury history through college. Look where he is. Please, just stop.
LMAO I lost it at Baalke has a fetish i couldn't stop laughing it took me a few seconds to read the rest of the post. But ya i agree he has drafted a lot of injured players i see what hes trying to do get value in the future out of a player who is hurt now. But that doesn't make sense to do when the team is built to win now. He should draft players who will make a immediate impact. By the time these injured players contribute who knows were our all around team will be.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Sometimes taking injured players who fell in the draft can pay big dividends later on. I think we used a similar strategy in 1986. We were already a talented team and took a chance on two guys named Brent Jones and Kevin f*gan. Jones was drafted by the Steelers and was cut shortly after he was injured in a car accident. They both missed their rookie years but ended up being big time players for us.

Kevin f*gan

[ Edited by billbird2111 on Nov 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
k.
f*gAN!

Dear Mods: We have a problem.
[ Edited by billbird2111 on Nov 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM ]

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by billbird2111:
f*gAN!

no we don't.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
f*gAN!

Don't be a f*gan.
a DE with 1st round potential in taken in the second round is a waste?
Originally posted by Antix:
Also, you have to consider the talent on our team. if Tank was 100& healthy he still wouldn't be starting if everybody else was healthy. We can take chances esp on defense because our roster is stacked. Best roster from top to bottom in the NFL. We even got TJE makin plays in primetime.

Yeah I wouldnt go that far saying we have the best roster in the NFL top to bottom. That's hugely debatable
Originally posted by Raul98:
LMAO I lost it at Baalke has a fetish i couldn't stop laughing it took me a few seconds to read the rest of the post. But ya i agree he has drafted a lot of injured players i see what hes trying to do get value in the future out of a player who is hurt now. But that doesn't make sense to do when the team is built to win now. He should draft players who will make a immediate impact. By the time these injured players contribute who knows were our all around team will be.
Like a lot of people have already said: the team IS already built to win now, it's way to stacked to think about drafting players who can be contributors from day one; they simply won't play.
Furthermore, Baalke does INDEED draft players who make an immediate impact; have you ever of an Aldon Smith Smith or Eric Reid yet?

we can afford to draft players who aren't contributors from day one. It is way to naive to think that rookies, especially the guys picked in lower rounds, will make an immediate impact.
Share 49ersWebzone