There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Zach Mettenberger joins Aaron Murray in the SEC QB w/ torn ACL club

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'm off to bed but look at the QB you brought up Phoenix, what a horrible example or should I say weak one. Again Ponder is still young and might I add doing much better than a RG3 or a Colt McCoy. Also another thing to point out is the mechanics of a QB from a Pro Style offense will translate faster than one from a Gimick offense. Also could've sworn Drew Brees lined up under-center in college often? Also shouldn't draft position further prove my point in preference of a Pro Style QB?

C'mon, this is nonsense. RG3 had a tremendous rookie season, better than any season of Ponder's career thus far, he's struggled this season but of course his OL is garbage and he really doesn't have all that much to work with. Writing the guy off at this point makes no sense, you act like you're talking about Ryan Leaf
here.

And refresh my memory but when was the last time a Spread option or read-option QB win a Super Bowl, I guess when Alex Smith wins one, he'll be the exception not the rule as you say in the other post.

Are we talking about in the NFL or in from college? If college, then this year with Joe Flacco who ran a "gimmick" spread offense in college. If you look at a team like New England, they've essentially been running an offshoot of the "gimmick" Run and Shoot for awhile now. The whole idea of "gimmick" offenses is meaningless, what happens when pro style offenses become more like college spread offenses....because that's what we are seeing more and more and the NFL is obviously encouraging it.

My point was RG3 has been figured out, same with Kaepernick, only Kaepernick has shown the ability to pass from the pocket a lot better, same goes for Russell Wilson, only he also ran a Pro Style offense in college. I am in no way, comparing RG3 to Ryan Leaf, MY POINT TO THIS WHOLE FIASCO IS THAT GIMMICK QB'S STRUGGLE TO SUCCEED IN THE NFL!!! And I'm not talking about just one-year of good football either.

As for Joe Flacco, I'm gonna use your "He's an exception not the rule" card, as majority QB's who won it were Pro Style QB's. Also what helped Flacco make his transition to the NFL was that he was/is a pure pocket passer and not a pure option QB. And NFL teams will use a pinch of a Gimmick system its not like they will use it as their Base offense.
Originally posted by Kolohe: My point was RG3 has been figured out, same with Kaepernick, only Kaepernick has shown the ability to pass from the pocket a lot better, same goes for Russell Wilson, only he also ran a Pro Style offense in college. I am in no way, comparing RG3 to Ryan Leaf, MY POINT TO THIS WHOLE FIASCO IS THAT GIMMICK QB'S STRUGGLE TO SUCCEED IN THE NFL!!! And I'm not talking about just one-year of good football either.

How has he been "figured out?" His team is struggling, the defense is horrible, the offensive line sucks, he's had inconsistent play from his receivers and yet he's still thrown for 2800 yards, 14 TD's and has completed almost 60% of his passes. There's quite a few QB's in the NFL that would love to be "figured out" in that case. Did you see the sort of game that Andrew Luck had against the Cardinals? Meanwhile Kaepernick had a significantly better game against that same defense. Neither Kaepernick nor RG3 have been "figured out", defenses are simply attacking the major weaknesses in their respective offenses.

I believe Kaepernick and RG3 both will be near the top of NFL QB's over the long haul, they both have an incredible amount of talent. A QB, especially a young QB, can only work with what he has. Look at Luck now without Wayne and with a gimped up Hilton, how good did he look yesterday? And he is a "pro-style" QB looking lost in the sauce. Has Luck been "figured out" too? Or more likely, is it a case of an inexperienced young QB without a lot of weapons to throw to and teams keying in on his tendencies as with any young QB.

As for Joe Flacco, I'm gonna use your "He's an exception not the rule" card, as majority QB's who won it were Pro Style QB's. Also what helped Flacco make his transition to the NFL was that he was/is a pure pocket passer and not a pure option QB. And NFL teams will use a pinch of a Gimmick system its not like they will use it as their Base offense.

Brees, Flacco, Big Ben, Tony Romo.....you sure its just one exception to the rule? Between 2005-2011, QB's coming out of spread offenses actually had a better success rate in the NFL than those who came out of pro-style offenses.

Of the 24 quarterbacks taken in the first or second round of the draft since 2005, 11 ran a variation of the spread offense in college. Despite starting fewer games in the NFL than their non-spread counterparts, their career statistics are almost identical.

The 11 spread quarterbacks had a slightly higher passer rating in the NFL than the non-spread quarterbacks. They also had a higher completion percentage and winning percentage.

It is reasonable to believe the players who ran the spread in college would struggle in their first year in the league. Again, that is not the case. Of the quarterbacks drafted in the first two rounds since 2005, 11 of them took 150 or more snaps in their rookie seasons. Of those players, the spread quarterbacks started fewer games but had a higher completion percentage and TD-to-INT ratio.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm done, you can find my final answer here: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/175897-phoenix49ers-updated-mock-draft-thanksgiving-edition/
By "figured out" do you mean coming back from a major knee surgery? It should go without saying he's nowhere near healthy. Brooks even said he shouldn't be playing.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by eonblue:
By "figured out" do you mean coming back from a major knee surgery? It should go without saying he's nowhere near healthy. Brooks even said he shouldn't be playing.

I mean hes no longer running the Read-Option majority of the time now.
Kolohe, if you haven't seen this yet, here's your Thanksgiving moment of zen.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000288009/article/aaron-murray-will-be-middletolateround-steal-for-nfl-team
  • sfout
  • Veteran
bump

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10076730/zach-mettenberger-lsu-tigers-torn-acl
I would take Murray over Mettenberger just as Georgia did. I think Murray is a more accurate passer, not as strong of an arm, but a better game manager type if you accept that Kaepernick is going to be the starter long-term.
Also, Murray's mom is pretty MILFy, that right there ought to put him over the top.