There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

WR Dorial Green-Beckham - Missouri

Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
So is DGB gonna be allowed to play this season or not? I thought he had to sit out the year if he transferred; but then again, Rodgers from Tennessee played the year following a transfer.

I'm confused.

At this point, who knows. The NCAA has 4 of the 5 major conferences totally pissed at them. The mid-majors are freak'n out because they no longer have the "equal" voice the NCAA promised.

We'll see. I thing he may be able to play this year unless the BIG-10 pitches a private, back room fit. Given the absolute ire the NCAA has drawn from the PAC-12, even if the BIG-10 freaks out, it may fall on deaf ears.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,630
Former Missouri junior WR Dorial Green-Beckham has officially joined the Oklahoma football program.

DGB is not eligible to play until 2015, and we wonder if he ever takes an official snap for the Sooners.

Green-Beckham might be taking this opportunity to be with a team during his "off" year, which is something NFL teams will likely prefer over sitting out the season at home. This would make the receiver a redshirt sophomore this season. Green-Beckham will enroll in classes and participate in team activities, and he could still enter the 2015 NFL Draft. DGB's final act that led to his dismissal from Missouri included unlawfully forcing his way into an apartment seeking his girlfriend and then pushed a different woman down "at least four stairs," causing a minor hand injury


http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/32834/dorial-green-beckham-officially-joins-sooners


Cannot play this year 2014

BUT


Oklahoma will pursue a waiver from the NCAA for junior WR Dorial Green-Beckham to gain immediate eligibility, according to beat writer Jason Kersey.

We doubt the NCAA grants such a waiver, as many who were given immediate eligibility in the past transferred due to family emergencies or medical issues. As far as we know, DGB does not have either. The receiver was dismissed from Missouri after a number of off-field issues. He could be on the scout team with Baker Mayfield for the entire season


http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/32834/dorial-green-beckham-officially-joins-sooners?rw=1
[ Edited by buck on Jul 5, 2014 at 9:00 AM ]
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
So is DGB gonna be allowed to play this season or not? I thought he had to sit out the year if he transferred; but then again, Rodgers from Tennessee played the year following a transfer.

I'm confused.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/college-transfer-4-4.htm
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
So is DGB gonna be allowed to play this season or not? I thought he had to sit out the year if he transferred; but then again, Rodgers from Tennessee played the year following a transfer.

I'm confused.

At this point, who knows. The NCAA has 4 of the 5 major conferences totally pissed at them. The mid-majors are freak'n out because they no longer have the "equal" voice the NCAA promised.

We'll see. I thing he may be able to play this year unless the BIG-10 pitches a private, back room fit. Given the absolute ire the NCAA has drawn from the PAC-12, even if the BIG-10 freaks out, it may fall on deaf ears.

What are you talking about? It has nothing to do with what other conferences think should happen. He'd be allowed to play this year if he went to a FCS school (like Da'Rick Rogers did) or obtained a waiver (which I see no cause for him to be granted one). Usually waivers are allowed if say hypothetically a kid from IL was attending a school in FL but he transferred back to an IL because a family member was sick, they'll allow a hardship waiver and allow him to play. Or if you graduate, and still have eligibility, and the school you attend doesn't renew your scholarship or they don't offer a major in your field of study. Those 2 are the most common. Don't see how DGB, getting in trouble and ultimately getting kicked off the team, would be allowed a waiver to play this year.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
What are you talking about? It has nothing to do with what other conferences think should happen. He'd be allowed to play this year if he went to a FCS school (like Da'Rick Rogers did) or obtained a waiver (which I see no cause for him to be granted one). Usually waivers are allowed if say hypothetically a kid from IL was attending a school in FL but he transferred back to an IL because a family member was sick, they'll allow a hardship waiver and allow him to play. Or if you graduate, and still have eligibility, and the school you attend doesn't renew your scholarship or they don't offer a major in your field of study. Those 2 are the most common. Don't see how DGB, getting in trouble and ultimately getting kicked off the team, would be allowed a waiver to play this year.

I see your point.

Please understand, there was a point in time I believed that: actively covering up a player's excessive benefits (Miami, Ohio State), a coach's illegal behavior (Penn State), a school's bogus class (North Carolina), and oversight of another player arriving to school in a car twice his families income (Ohio State, Florida) would be more egregious than a player's family engaging in back door dealings with an agent (USC, Alabama) - doing everything in there power to keep it secret.

But, since having my eyes opened, I've learned one thing: the NCAA does what it wants and never put stock in any "rule" the NCAA "enforces". Fact is, the NCAA is fighting for it's life to be a part of the new Conference Alignment. If you feel otherwise, you haven't been paying attention. Only ONE conference actively wants NCAA involvement (BIG-10), and don't think the reason is altruistic.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/college-transfer-4-4.htm

If you are not eligible at the first school, you generally may not use a transfer exception to play immediately at your new school.

That reads like a self-help article rather than a regulation; but it appears like he's not gonna be able to play this year.

...But the word "generally" leaves it ambiguous.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Jul 10, 2014 at 3:10 PM ]
Anyone else get a Tommy Streeter vibe from this guy?
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Anyone else get a Tommy Streeter vibe from this guy?

As a prospect or personality-wise? I don't know anything about Tommy Streeter off the field, but I never liked him even a little bit as a prospect.

DGB, on the other hand, is the guy I want the Niners to pick next year in the first round. So you'll get a resounding "no" from me.

Is it because they're both big? Trust me; DGB has more than just size. The dude is an absolutely rare talent.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Anyone else get a Tommy Streeter vibe from this guy?

As a prospect? DGB is the real deal. Physically dominant. The concern is similar to a guy like Mike Wiliams of USC, who on paper and college film had everything to be a dominant WR.

DGB has excellent body control for a guy that big.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
As a prospect? DGB is the real deal. Physically dominant. The concern is similar to a guy like Mike Wiliams of USC, who on paper and college film had everything to be a dominant WR.

Mike Williams didn't have everything on paper to be a dominant WR. I don't remember many players I trashed more in college than Mike Williams. The guy was SsssssLLllllllOOOOOoooooowwwwwww.

DGB is not slow.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Mike Williams didn't have everything on paper to be a dominant WR. I don't remember many players I trashed more in college than Mike Williams. The guy was SsssssLLllllllOOOOOoooooowwwwwww.

DGB is not slow.

One thing that I always look for in a big guy is their ability to create separation.
Stephan Hill didn't have that, John Baldwin didn't have that, Tommy Streeter, and many other big WR all share this problem. Not to mention that the difference between your average college CB and average NFL CB is a huge difference, probably one of the biggest jumps per position which is why it makes scouting these WR so hard.

While I do think that DGB is on another playing field compared to these guys (athletically) I think he is going to struggle getting open. All of these 1 handed grabs I am seeing so far are great, but it seems like every time the ball is thrown his way he is still fighting somebody off. That may look good now, but its not going to work for him against a professional defense.
Who knows, I may be posting this a bit prematurely as I have only watched 4-5 games of his so far. (I'm on youtube/draft breakdown right now).
But for me I'm not going to say he is the next Calvin or AJ or Julio, those guys get open. I have yet to see that from DGB.
The only way he creates any separation so far that I have seen is with his straight line speed, not going to work in the NFL.


Last note, for how big he is, he shouldn't be this bad of a blocker. Wow that is going to need work
[ Edited by Quest4six on Jul 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM ]
Yeah, after watching enough vids I'm not impressed.
DGB relies to much on his size and constantly struggles shedding defenders and getting position, not to mention he is one of the worst blockers in his class.
I also like how our WR (Crabs and Boldin) seem to dominate over opposing secondaries with their size, DGB plays like he is the weakest guy on the field.

I get that he can make these amazing catches, and he looks great jumping for a ball, but 90% of his highlight reel is against a small school CB in 1 on 1 coverage.

Unless I see some changes at OU, I'm chalking this one under the bust category.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,630
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Anyone else get a Tommy Streeter vibe from this guy?

As a prospect? DGB is the real deal. Physically dominant. The concern is similar to a guy like Mike Wiliams of USC, who on paper and college film had everything to be a dominant WR.

DGB has excellent body control for a guy that big.


Excellent body control is great but that is not his problem.

It is control of his actions.

At this point, it does not even seem safe to assume that he will make it to the NFL.

I am going to wait and see if he can make it through the next year without getting in more trouble.

[ Edited by buck on Jul 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:
While I do think that DGB is on another playing field compared to these guys (athletically) I think he is going to struggle getting open.

DGB seems like he get open / creates separation significantly better than Alshon Jeffery did on college (I underestimated Jeffery). Dez Bryant also didn't get a ton of separation in college, and I underestimated him too.

Separation in college could be a bunch of different things.

1. A WR with great football speed
2. Playing against bad defensive backs
3. A combination of 1 & 2
4. An offense designed to get rid of the ball quickly & leave little protection for the QB (the opposite of the Niners' offense). This would cause less separation.
5. A QB with (1) a rocket launcher attached to his arm or (2) amazing timing / accuracy / chemistry with his receivers.

It's not always as easy as looking at the distance between the WR & the DB when the ball gets there.

I could be wrong, but I think DGB creates separation more easily than Jeffery & Dez did.

Also, keep in mind that if you're watching him catch a bunch of fades that fades aren't designed for the WR to have a ton of separation; they're designed for the QR to have position and / or leaping ability.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Jul 15, 2014 at 12:12 PM ]
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
DGB seems like he get open / creates separation significantly better than Alshon Jeffery did on college (I underestimated Jeffery). Dez Bryant also didn't get a ton of separation in college, and I underestimated him too.

Separation in college could be a bunch of different things.

1. A WR with great football speed
2. Playing against bad defensive backs
3. A combination of 1 & 2
4. An offense designed to get rid of the ball quickly & leave little protection for the QB (the opposite of the Niners' offense). This would cause less separation.
5. A QB with (1) a rocket launcher attached to his arm or (2) amazing timing / accuracy / chemistry with his receivers.

It's not always as easy as looking at the distance between the WR & the DB when the ball gets there.

I could be wrong, but I think DGB creates separation more easily than Jeffery & Dez did.

Also, keep in mind that if you're watching him catch a bunch of fades that fades aren't designed for the WR to have a ton of separation; they're designed for the QR to have position and / or leaping ability.

This is actually a great example that I should have used. Jeffery and Bryant both have a very physical style of play, their ability to manhandle opposing DBs and get great position is part of why they are both pro-bowlers. DGB is about as physical as DeSean Jackson. From the 8 games I watched of his yesterday he is constantly getting bumped off his routes and having to readjust.
In the case of Jeffery and Bryant, they both fight off CBs and make it easier on themselves when the ball is thrown their way, thus giving them better positing for the ball.
DGB does not, he tends to play around the secondary whereas Bryant and Jeffery play through them. I have yet to see him shed a bump off the line or use his frame to get position. (other than jump balls)
In all honesty he reminds me a lot of the Seahawks pick Paul Richardson.

I think his lack of separation comes from his inability to play more of a physical role which is surprising to me given his frame. If he can learn to use his arms/body more rather than his height and speed, I think he is going to do very well at OU.
[ Edited by Quest4six on Jul 15, 2014 at 12:36 PM ]