LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Jaelen Strong - WR, Arizona State

Probably haven't heard of this guy mentioned in the top WR prospects because he's only a RS sophomore and JUCO transfer but he has been a beast in the few games I've seen him play in, including today against UCLA.

6'4", 210 lbs. with really strong hands. One of those receivers who doesn't have the best speed but knows how to catch the ball when it's thrown to him. I've been a proponent of trying to draft a tall receiver like Mike Evans or Jordan Matthews in the first round but wouldn't mind targeting some other position or smaller WR like Brandin Cooks and then go after Strong in the 2nd-3rd round. Thoughts from any others who have seen him?
No, he's definitely been mentioned as one of the top prospects, but he's not likely to be coming out for the draft. He will be a prospect to keep an eye on though, a likely late 1st rounder to early 2nd rounder whenever he does come out, if he keeps his production up.
I'm not too sure on his speed, but excellent hands and strong as hell. One of the best I've seen at jump balls.

He is probably more 6'2 or 6'3 though
Make it happen Baalke.
My second favorite behind Kevin White. I'd still be erected the entire draft weekend if we got Strong
Sounds like a good Crabtree replacement if we were to let him walk. I want a speed receiver, but it's not necessary to draft one that high. We can get Strong in the first and come back later in the 3rd-7th round and pick up the flyer.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
WR
Jaelen Strong
Height 6-3
Weight 215
Arizona State #21

Jaelen Strong Improved Everywhere

Last year, Strong entered at 198 pounds. This year, he weighs 212. Last year, Strong couldn't bench press 225 pounds one time. This year he put up eight reps. Strong also increased his vertical jump from 35 inches to a team-high 39 and he posted a 10-foot, 7-inch standing long jump.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2014/08/09/asu-football-wr-jaelen-strong-improved-everywhere/13847175/

Lol zero reps is beyond pathetic but it looks like he is developing into a matchup nightmare.

Highlight Tape

2014 Season Stats After 10 Games

71 Receptions
13,8 Yards Per Reception
982 Yards
9 Touchdowns
[ Edited by DeUh on Nov 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:

Last year, Strong entered at 198 pounds. This year, he weighs 212. Last year, Strong couldn't bench press 225 pounds one time. This year he put up eight reps. Strong also increased his vertical jump from 35 inches to a team-high 39 and he posted a 10-foot, 7-inch standing long jump.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2014/08/09/asu-football-wr-jaelen-strong-improved-everywhere/13847175/

Lol zero reps is beyond pathetic but it looks like he is developing into a matchup nightmare.

This, nice physical, tough receiver, goes up for the ball, snatches it right out of the air.

Yeah I read that article when it first came out. Honestly I don't believe the zero 225 reps story, he probably only did 2 or 3 though. He is much stronger this year.

I'd compare him to Alshon Jeffrey. I would expect Strong to be a 2nd round WR at this point. The concern is his speed, if you watch his plays, he usually doesn't have much separation with a DB and that is concerning.

The good news is that no one in college is better at catching contested balls. I've never seen a WR in college catch so many contested balls.

On a side note, the backup QB Mike Bercovici looks promising. He is only 6-foot, so he is undersized. But holy crap the kid has a cannon. Usually QBs that size have a noodle for an arm. Berco has an arm.

Check out Bercovici's throw at 2:07 of the video

On the scramble, throws to the outside of the WR about 25 yards deep, and its on the money.

When I blabber on and on about how people are judging QBs wrong, giving them credit for stats generated by easy throws and not NFL throws, thats what I'm talking about. To find the NFL QB gems, you got to find QBs making those hard difficult throws, because that can't be taught at the NFL. Now Bercovici won't start until next year, and he will be a senior then,and I seriously doubt he will jump up the draft board on 1 year, especially with Strong gone. But its a late flyer name to keep an eye on.

Oh and one last note on Strong, he is technically a Junior, so its not 100% sure he will be in the draft. I think he probably will, and its a better choice for him to get paid without worrying about injury in college.
Like him but if we're going to draft a receiver we need a X receiver. Don't know if he can fit that role. If he stays another year he would be a great replacement for Boldin.

Originally posted by shmuck:
Like him but if we're going to draft a receiver we need a X receiver. Don't know if he can fit that role. If he stays another year he would be a great replacement for Boldin.

We can do both.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Yeah I read that article when it first came out. Honestly I don't believe the zero 225 reps story, he probably only did 2 or 3 though. He is much stronger this year.

I'd compare him to Alshon Jeffrey. I would expect Strong to be a 2nd round WR at this point. The concern is his speed, if you watch his plays, he usually doesn't have much separation with a DB and that is concerning.

The good news is that no one in college is better at catching contested balls. I've never seen a WR in college catch so many contested balls.

On a side note, the backup QB Mike Bercovici looks promising. He is only 6-foot, so he is undersized. But holy crap the kid has a cannon. Usually QBs that size have a noodle for an arm. Berco has an arm.

Check out Bercovici's throw at 2:07 of the video

On the scramble, throws to the outside of the WR about 25 yards deep, and its on the money.

When I blabber on and on about how people are judging QBs wrong, giving them credit for stats generated by easy throws and not NFL throws, thats what I'm talking about. To find the NFL QB gems, you got to find QBs making those hard difficult throws, because that can't be taught at the NFL. Now Bercovici won't start until next year, and he will be a senior then,and I seriously doubt he will jump up the draft board on 1 year, especially with Strong gone. But its a late flyer name to keep an eye on.

Oh and one last note on Strong, he is technically a Junior, so its not 100% sure he will be in the draft. I think he probably will, and its a better choice for him to get paid without worrying about injury in college.

Nice break down. I am stoked about Berco going forward. I would love if Jaelen stayed another year, but I highly doubt his draft stock goes any higher than this season. I would be ok with him declaring for the draft, as long as the Niners draft him The last ASU receiver the Niners drafted left a bad taste in my mouth, so someone needs to fix that.

I graduated from ASU in '06, and have season tix. Do you ever get to the games?
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Nice break down. I am stoked about Berco going forward. I would love if Jaelen stayed another year, but I highly doubt his draft stock goes any higher than this season. I would be ok with him declaring for the draft, as long as the Niners draft him The last ASU receiver the Niners drafted left a bad taste in my mouth, so someone needs to fix that.

I live in SF. '07 Grad. Lived in Hayden Dorms freshman year, Quads the next 2 years and San Tropez in Scottsdale senior year.

I go to the games when they come out here, and do one road trip every year. This year I'm going to Washington (last year was Notre Dame and the year before that Mizzou). Was also there for the USC win in Tempe, the "dust bowl" where they had to stop the game lol.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

I live in SF. '07 Grad. Lived in Hayden Dorms freshman year, Quads the next 2 years and San Tropez in Scottsdale senior year.

I go to the games when they come out here, and do one road trip every year. This year I'm going to Washington (last year was Notre Dame and the year before that Mizzou). Was also there for the USC win in Tempe, the "dust bowl" where they had to stop the game lol.

lol yep I was at that one too. Crazy day! Haven't been able to make any games this season since I tore my MCL playing flag football, but I think we are going to make the Stanford game.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

"I´ve never lifted in my whole life until I got to Arizona State. I coudn´t get 225 up one time last year when I first got here.....I was getting thrown around last year and still making plays. This year I won´t be getting thrown around at all."

I'd compare him to Alshon Jeffrey. I would expect Strong to be a 2nd round WR at this point. The concern is his speed, if you watch his plays, he usually doesn't have much separation with a DB and that is concerning. The good news is that no one in college is better at catching contested balls. I've never seen a WR in college catch so many contested balls.

At this point he is one of my favorite WR this year. I would love to see him as a 49er. From the tapes I saw my pro comparison is Marques Colston.
Share 49ersWebzone