LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 186 users in the forums

AB81's 49ers 2014 Mock Draft/Offseason V1.0

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
drafting a qb in the second round would screw with Kaeps head

he doesn't strike me as a guy that would do well in a situation like that.

I don't think any QB would take it well. You don't draft a QB in the second round unless you have very little confidence in the current starter and you plan on starting the drafted QB.

Kap has struggled but I still think he can be a pretty good QB with more development. Kap needs to build his confidence; this move would shatter the little confidence he has left.

What's bittersweet about this though is that while it sucks and it's pretty heartbreaking Murray was injured (ACL), his draft stock has plummeted. He should be available in the mid-later rounds now.
Packers did it when Rodgers became their starter. Got Brohm and Flynn in the same draft. Really messed with Rodgers didn't it? Kaeps a professional, if a little competition scares him, he's needs to sack up or move on. Alex sacked up and played well for us after we drafted Kaep. Harbaugh and Baalke preach "iron sharpens iron". Who exactly is Kaeps "iron"? McCoy? Some 5th round pick? No. A 2nd-3rd round QB would be great insurance in case something happens to Kaep (Packers are a great example this year. Tolzien and Flynn and Wallace haven't done anything for them). Plus it might get Kaeps competitive fire burning (not saying it isn't already, but competition breeds winners).

I agree wit Travisty on this one. A 2nd-4th round QB wont hurt Kap or his development. We need insurance in case he gets hurt,or busts.
We all know Trent and he doesn't waste roster spots. We will draft a QB though probably not until round 4 or 5 because I think it is clear that we are none too thrilled with Colt and maybe even McBLT. We won't allow scrub QBs the chance to stay on the 53 unless we believe in him with the draft ammo we have this time. I see us spending the 6 top 100 picks on WR, CB, WR, OLB, CB, S(versatile) then we nab a developmental QB, TE, G, C, T, and a big back
Getting a very back up sound very smart to me.

Let's face it, based on our current play calling, the struggles Kap is currently going through and the potential for injury - we're toast if Kap goes down.

Grooming a back up like a Steve Bono was for us is a smart move.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by bigwads:
Initially, I was all in with Clinton-Dix or even Tuitt, the DE from Notre Dame. However, this season has been a revelation and unless we start getting in line with the new age NFL, we are going to always be swimming upstream. Because of this:

DRAFT:

1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M - Game changer. Crabs is a good player, but not one a defense has to game plan around. This kid is. He single handedly make sour offense scary. We would likely need to give up one of our 2nd's and even one of our 3rds but I really don't care at this point. Next season we would go into it with Crabs, Evans and Boldin (if extended another year)...damn. This move also means we probably let Crabs walk after next season but big woop.

2. Craig Loston, SS, LSU - Immediate starter with his old teammate.

3. Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma

We would still need a center most likely, but that can be filled through other means.

The 9ers have five picks in the first three rounds so why not a OC?

lol - yes resurrect the days of trading picks for coaches!
i dont understand why anyone wants to keep Manningham, last year he was basically a non factor and so far this season he's not been healthy or productive.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
i dont understand why anyone wants to keep Manningham, last year he was basically a non factor and so far this season he's not been healthy or productive.

It's tough for MM, he is less than a year removed from the ACL injury. He isn't fully healthy, And last year he was good once Kap was QB. He had a better chemistry than Vernon did.

MM is worth a $3M a yr deal.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Always enjoy reading your posts AB. You put a lot of thought and work into these situations.

I second that emotion, with a couple of caveats:

1. If the 49ers blow a 2nd round pick on a QB, it means they are not sold on CK7. That's the God's honest truth. Teams don't spend 2nd round picks on backup players. Sixth and seventh round picks? Yes, but not 2nd round picks.

2. Our biggest position of need right now is clearly wide receiver. I do not see the 49ers breaking the bank open for Crabtree. The man simply cannot stay healthy. Last year he was truly awesome. But last year was the first year he didn't break or tear something. I see the 49ers drafting two -- possibly three -- wide receivers next season. And I believe the first two will be drafted with the first three picks that they have in the draft.

3. Suddenly, offensive line may have become a position of need. How bad is Iupati's knee? And Anthony Davis is probably having the worst season I've ever seen.

I think Coleman would be a great addition.

I did the Jackson pick as protection, could be the new LG if Iupati bolts.

I agree WR is a huge need, so maybe Beckham over Murray, and get Price then. I just figured if I take a project QB the webzone would freak out.

Your observation is correct. We take a QB in the second round, and the Webzone WILL freak out.

It also sends a fairly strong message to CK7 that Harbaugh is having some serious second thoughts...
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Always enjoy reading your posts AB. You put a lot of thought and work into these situations.

I second that emotion, with a couple of caveats:

1. If the 49ers blow a 2nd round pick on a QB, it means they are not sold on CK7. That's the God's honest truth. Teams don't spend 2nd round picks on backup players. Sixth and seventh round picks? Yes, but not 2nd round picks.

2. Our biggest position of need right now is clearly wide receiver. I do not see the 49ers breaking the bank open for Crabtree. The man simply cannot stay healthy. Last year he was truly awesome. But last year was the first year he didn't break or tear something. I see the 49ers drafting two -- possibly three -- wide receivers next season. And I believe the first two will be drafted with the first three picks that they have in the draft.

3. Suddenly, offensive line may have become a position of need. How bad is Iupati's knee? And Anthony Davis is probably having the worst season I've ever seen.

I think Coleman would be a great addition.

I did the Jackson pick as protection, could be the new LG if Iupati bolts.

I agree WR is a huge need, so maybe Beckham over Murray, and get Price then. I just figured if I take a project QB the webzone would freak out.

Your observation is correct. We take a QB in the second round, and the Webzone WILL freak out.

It also sends a fairly strong message to CK7 that Harbaugh is having some serious second thoughts...
It would be more Trent IMO
Share 49ersWebzone