LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

AB81's 49ers 2014 Mock Draft/Offseason V1.0

Originally posted by flaw:
Don't see taking a QB that early or letting Whitner go.
Him and Reid have great chemistry. Could see them restructuring his contract.

Restructure what? He'll be a free agent.
Good job as always AB! I would like to see a NT in the mix but with all the DL men now on the team or injured who knows what shape the team will be in next draft.
Originally posted by flaw:
Don't see taking a QB that early or letting Whitner go.
Him and Reid have great chemistry. Could see them restructuring his contract.
whitner was a liabality til this season...just because he is playing a good CONTRACT year, it doesnt mean anything
  • flaw
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Restructure what? He'll be a free agent.

ya, sorry misread my site seen 2015... diff player....

Originally posted by communist:
whitner was a liabality til this season...just because he is playing a good CONTRACT year, it doesnt mean anything

liability? the liability is in Tampa now.
Don't like a QB before the 4th and feel we need at least 2 wr in the 1st 6 picks.
Originally posted by communist:

Disagree that Whitner has been a liability overall. He has been the brain of a very good defensive backfield playing above expectations. Does he cover ground as well as I would like? No, but I can't knock his leadership. I do agree though that whether they retain him or not, they should try to draft his replacement this year.
Why the hell would u resign Boldin at his age and contract size? He can barely get open at his current age
drafting a qb in the second round would screw with Kaeps head

he doesn't strike me as a guy that would do well in a situation like that.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

I don't think any QB would take it well. You don't draft a QB in the second round unless you have very little confidence in the current starter and you plan on starting the drafted QB.

Kap has struggled but I still think he can be a pretty good QB with more development. Kap needs to build his confidence; this move would shatter the little confidence he has left.

What's bittersweet about this though is that while it sucks and it's pretty heartbreaking Murray was injured (ACL), his draft stock has plummeted. He should be available in the mid-later rounds now.
WR's round 1-4....one is bound to be a nugget!

Initially, I was all in with Clinton-Dix or even Tuitt, the DE from Notre Dame. However, this season has been a revelation and unless we start getting in line with the new age NFL, we are going to always be swimming upstream. Because of this:

DRAFT:

1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M - Game changer. Crabs is a good player, but not one a defense has to game plan around. This kid is. He single handedly make sour offense scary. We would likely need to give up one of our 2nd's and even one of our 3rds but I really don't care at this point. Next season we would go into it with Crabs, Evans and Boldin (if extended another year)...damn. This move also means we probably let Crabs walk after next season but big woop.

2. Craig Loston, SS, LSU - Immediate starter with his old teammate.

3. Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma

We would still need a center most likely, but that can be filled through other means.
There goes my mock, Murray out with ACL. I believe he is a 3rd-4th rounder now. His talent means someone will take a chance on him.

Now if I had to redo it, I would do Beckham Jr. at the Murray pick, maybe swap out Clinton-Dix for a CB like Ekpre-Olomu, or Gilbert. Keep most of the picks the same. I like Jackson as a possible successor to Iupati, who may out price us. So good to have a quality backup or 2, with Looney. I believe Kilgore will be the new Center, with competition from a draft pick. I like Swanson, also Grasu from Oregon if he declares. Also Tyler Larsen of Utah State, and Gabe Ikard of Oklahoma.

QB wise, I would view the kid from the lower level Illinois school, can't remember his name, Grappolo or something. Or Jordan Lynch, Northern Illinois.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
My only real complaint is that this does nothing to address what I see as the 49ers biggest weakness on offense and that is a lack of speed at the WR position. Coleman hasn't impressed me at all this season, at best he's another possession receiver on a team filled with possession receivers, I think as much as anything else, the 49ers need someone who can stretch the field and threaten defenses deep, give them a reason to keep a safety over the top. Between Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham and Patton, the 49ers are basically full up on possession receivers. Having the TE as your only real deep thrat is not an ideal situation.

Beyond everything else, I see speed on offense as hugely important. They have one of the slowest group of WR's in the NFL right now. I'm hoping they can add at least one true deep threat who can challenge defenses deep downfield, when you have a QB with a cannon for an arm, its practically a crime not to have at least one WR who can stretch the field. The same way the Colts have surrounded Luck with speedy receivers and the same thing with Tate and Harvin in Seattle.

I'm with Phoenix on this one, AB. Guys like Brandon Coleman or Mike Evans are big and their catching radius is huge, but they aren't burners. This team could use an Odell Beckham Jr., Donte Moncrief or Brandon Cooks to compliment what is already on the roster. I think the Niners could also use a quick slot guy like D'Anthony Thomas or Dri Archer who could also return kicks. Think the Murray and Gabe Jackson picks are money in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Because Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Larry Fitzgerald are all burners..... . Our best receiver right now is Crabs who isn't a burner.

What we need is someone that teams have to legitimately game plan for...in other words they need two people slated to stop the player. Crabs does not do this. Vernon does and so would Evans.

Vernon and Evans would be freaking scary. That being said going the Clinton-Dix route isn't a bad play at all.
[ Edited by bigwads on Nov 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM ]
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by ads_2006:

I don't think any QB would take it well. You don't draft a QB in the second round unless you have very little confidence in the current starter and you plan on starting the drafted QB.

Kap has struggled but I still think he can be a pretty good QB with more development. Kap needs to build his confidence; this move would shatter the little confidence he has left.

What's bittersweet about this though is that while it sucks and it's pretty heartbreaking Murray was injured (ACL), his draft stock has plummeted. He should be available in the mid-later rounds now.
Packers did it when Rodgers became their starter. Got Brohm and Flynn in the same draft. Really messed with Rodgers didn't it? Kaeps a professional, if a little competition scares him, he's needs to sack up or move on. Alex sacked up and played well for us after we drafted Kaep. Harbaugh and Baalke preach "iron sharpens iron". Who exactly is Kaeps "iron"? McCoy? Some 5th round pick? No. A 2nd-3rd round QB would be great insurance in case something happens to Kaep (Packers are a great example this year. Tolzien and Flynn and Wallace haven't done anything for them). Plus it might get Kaeps competitive fire burning (not saying it isn't already, but competition breeds winners).
Originally posted by bigwads:
Initially, I was all in with Clinton-Dix or even Tuitt, the DE from Notre Dame. However, this season has been a revelation and unless we start getting in line with the new age NFL, we are going to always be swimming upstream. Because of this:

DRAFT:

1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M - Game changer. Crabs is a good player, but not one a defense has to game plan around. This kid is. He single handedly make sour offense scary. We would likely need to give up one of our 2nd's and even one of our 3rds but I really don't care at this point. Next season we would go into it with Crabs, Evans and Boldin (if extended another year)...damn. This move also means we probably let Crabs walk after next season but big woop.

2. Craig Loston, SS, LSU - Immediate starter with his old teammate.

3. Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma

We would still need a center most likely, but that can be filled through other means.

The 9ers have five picks in the first three rounds so why not a OC?
Share 49ersWebzone