There are 341 users in the forums

AB81's 49ers 2014 Mock Draft/Offseason V1.0

Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Sfout is right. Drafting a QB that early would be a terrible move and stir up unnecessary replacement rumors, drama in which Kap might very well demand a trade - you're basically telling him that he's a) not good enough, b) have no faith in him, or c) he doesn't fit in the plans for the future.

And even if the 49ers felt that way (which I highly doubt they do), they might as well just trade Kap while he still has some value, there's many QB needy teams that would be desperate to get their hands on him and use him to his strengths.

If Murray is available in the third round, I'd give it a shot but if you're expecting them to select a QB higher than the 3rd or 4th round, you will be disappointed. Just not going to happen. I've been disappointed in Kap this year and want him to improve as well but it's way too early to just give up on him this quickly. Lets give him more time to develop more of his skills, give him some more weapons - the 2nd rounder should be used on a playmaker like Odell Beckham Jr or Brandin Cooks, guys who can stretch the field - hope Roman can improve (play calling, game planning, utilizing the talent) and if still nothing changes, then I'm on board with taking a potential starting QB as early as the 2nd but it's a bit too premature to do so now.

Thanks for the agreement. We're handcuffed to Kaepernick for his entire contract unless he completely regresses to an 2005 or 2006 Alex Smith level or suffers a serious injury. The coaching staff is obviously supporting him as evidenced by "I don't accept the premise of your question" response from Harbaugh when asked about Kaepernick's poor play.

To address your second point I would agree that we should use multiple picks on WRs. We're going into next season with Crabtree, Baldwin, and Patton as our only WRs under contract. Sure we could re-sign Mario for cheap due to recovery from injury and maybe Boldin if he really likes it here but Baldwin is a player who may end up being cut or never fully developing and Patton is a complete 4th round unknown. We need to make sure we have as many good WRs as possible.

And we have to add speed somewhere. Crabtree, Mario, Boldin, Baldwin, Patton - that's a pretty slow group, none that can be a reliable or legitimate deep threat. Spending a 2nd rounder on Odell Beckham Jr or Brandin Cooks would be a nice addition for a much needed burner who can stretch the field.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Patriots drafted Ryan Mallet in the 3rd. I didn't hear any complaining out of Brady....
Because Brady is a self-confident HOF-QB who wasnt in question by any means at that time?
Patriots drafted Ryan Mallet in the 3rd. I didn't hear any complaining out of Brady....

Kap is not Brady (obviously, lol). And even a great QB like Brady needs a solid back up especially on a team where the QB and good QB play is perhaps the most important. Brady goes down w/o a solid back up QB solution, that's the Patriots' season.

Kap still has a lot to prove, many doubters and hasn't played well (at all) and he knows it. Taking a QB in the same exact round the 49ers selected him in to presumably and eventually replace AS, cannot be good. Kap is still holds a grudge against the Titans taking Locker over him lol. Imagine how he'd react if this were to happen? It won't be pretty.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Nov 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM ]
Kap is not Brady (obviously, lol). And even a great QB like Brady needs a solid back up especially on a team where the QB and good QB play is perhaps the most important. Brady goes down w/o a solid back up QB solution, that's the Patriots' season.

Kap still has a lot to prove, many doubters and hasn't played well (at all) and he knows it. Taking a QB in the same exact round the 49ers selected him in to presumably and eventually replace AS, cannot be good. Kap is still holds a grudge against the Titans taking Locker over him lol. Imagine how he'd react if this were to happen? It won't be pretty.
Where did you get that?

Originally posted by communist:
Because Brady is a self-confident HOF-QB who wasnt in question by any means at that time?

So, its okay to draft a QB in the 3rd when you have a well established QB and don't have much need for improvement at the starting QB position.

But if you have a QB struggling, you should not draft a QB
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
The toughest thing for me to judge when thinking of the draft is our WR corps. On paper we have enough in: Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Baldwin and Patton. However, when we watch games, our major need is WR (i know 2 of those listed are injured currently).

I think if Whitner leaves, safety becomes a priority along with NT. Depending on how Eric Wright fits in rest of season, CB is always a position you can get better at too.

I could not agree more. On paper, the Niners have good WR's. Is this the problem of the qb, the OC or are they not as good as we think?

Crabtree- First rounder, legit number 1
Boldin- second rounder, legit number 2, getting old, but he looks and plays young.
Manningham- legit number 3, maybe number 2, needs to stay healthy.
Patton- I think he was a valuable 4th round pick. He seemed to get open but was not targeted. I think he sticks with the team and will develop into th enumber 2 in a few years.
Baldwin- call me crazy, but I think this former 1st round pick will be a decent player and the niners will get more out of him than AJ
Jacobs- He should be active to only stretch the field.
My only real complaint is that this does nothing to address what I see as the 49ers biggest weakness on offense and that is a lack of speed at the WR position. Coleman hasn't impressed me at all this season, at best he's another possession receiver on a team filled with possession receivers, I think as much as anything else, the 49ers need someone who can stretch the field and threaten defenses deep, give them a reason to keep a safety over the top. Between Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham and Patton, the 49ers are basically full up on possession receivers. Having the TE as your only real deep thrat is not an ideal situation.

Beyond everything else, I see speed on offense as hugely important. They have one of the slowest group of WR's in the NFL right now. I'm hoping they can add at least one true deep threat who can challenge defenses deep downfield, when you have a QB with a cannon for an arm, its practically a crime not to have at least one WR who can stretch the field. The same way the Colts have surrounded Luck with speedy receivers and the same thing with Tate and Harvin in Seattle.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Where did you get that?

the media asked him a zillion times prior to the Jags and Titans games and he says he especially remembers the titians(lol - no pun) because they had him in for workout and were really forward about how much they liked him but picked Locker instead.

Says that just like Twitter he uses the motivation of the other teams that all took QBs instead of him.
Always enjoy reading your posts AB. You put a lot of thought and work into these situations.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
My only real complaint is that this does nothing to address what I see as the 49ers biggest weakness on offense and that is a lack of speed at the WR position. Coleman hasn't impressed me at all this season, at best he's another possession receiver on a team filled with possession receivers, I think as much as anything else, the 49ers need someone who can stretch the field and threaten defenses deep, give them a reason to keep a safety over the top. Between Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham and Patton, the 49ers are basically full up on possession receivers. Having the TE as your only real deep thrat is not an ideal situation.

Beyond everything else, I see speed on offense as hugely important. They have one of the slowest group of WR's in the NFL right now. I'm hoping they can add at least one true deep threat who can challenge defenses deep downfield, when you have a QB with a cannon for an arm, its practically a crime not to have at least one WR who can stretch the field. The same way the Colts have surrounded Luck with speedy receivers and the same thing with Tate and Harvin in Seattle.

I'm with Phoenix on this one, AB. Guys like Brandon Coleman or Mike Evans are big and their catching radius is huge, but they aren't burners. This team could use an Odell Beckham Jr., Donte Moncrief or Brandon Cooks to compliment what is already on the roster. I think the Niners could also use a quick slot guy like D'Anthony Thomas or Dri Archer who could also return kicks. Think the Murray and Gabe Jackson picks are money in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Wow AB u put alot work into this stuff very kool though... Reading N making mock drafts is why i finely joined .... im glad someone let brown go lol good player but i think he'll want to much ... at boldin N gore(N with lattimore) age u really think 3 yr deals are best ???? Again im not to sold on taken another S in tha 1st round in back to back yrz.. I like tha murray pick juz worried about taken a QB so high thinkin mental it may hurt kaep stir up replacement rumorz ...nice job at helpin tha O-line out ...do u think colemen will be there in tha 3rd round ??? U know i luvz me some bigg WRz lol Thought we cut fleming are u thinkin we'll sign him bac ???

I think 3 yrs may be a little too much. But they would be easy to get out of. Little guaranteed money.

I thought about WR. I like Coleman a lot. Originally had Beckham, but couldn't find a place for a quality backup QB, so Murray made sense.

For the purpose of this mock, I didn't say final roster, so I think Fleming is given 1 last chance, if not, he is gone.

Also I can see Snyder cut a little later in camp. We would still have the 12.591M to work with, extend Aldon, and Bruce, and maybe Hunter.
Given that we will extend MM and Boldin, the question is whether Coleman fits the profile we are looking for. Redzone-threat but not very fast.

What about Abbrederis or Odell Beckham?

Abbrederias is a good pick idea. I had Beckham originally, but couldn't find a quality QB later in rds 3-7. I think most of the quality QBs will be picked in first 2 rounds.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Abbrederias is a good pick idea. I had Beckham originally, but couldn't find a quality QB later in rds 3-7. I think most of the quality QBs will be picked in first 2 rounds.

I disagree with this, I think there's a lot of interesting prospects in the later rounds, more than there was last draft. Guys like Keith Price, David Fales, Brynn Renner, Jeff Matthews, James Franklin all show potential. Price in particular has come on strong this season and with improved accuracy and his terrific athleticism is very intriguing. Like any other draft, you'll definitely end up seeing some guys falling, someone like Stephen Morris who has had a very rough senior season, could end up dropping back in the pack while guys like Carr and Mettenberger have clearly boosted their draft stock.

Ideally, I'd like to see the 49ers bring in 2 QB's, one mid round guy and a 7th round pick...only because they have like 50 of them..... a guy like Jordan Lynch or Logan Kilgore, throw them all out on to the field and see what they can do.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Always enjoy reading your posts AB. You put a lot of thought and work into these situations.

I second that emotion, with a couple of caveats:

1. If the 49ers blow a 2nd round pick on a QB, it means they are not sold on CK7. That's the God's honest truth. Teams don't spend 2nd round picks on backup players. Sixth and seventh round picks? Yes, but not 2nd round picks.

2. Our biggest position of need right now is clearly wide receiver. I do not see the 49ers breaking the bank open for Crabtree. The man simply cannot stay healthy. Last year he was truly awesome. But last year was the first year he didn't break or tear something. I see the 49ers drafting two -- possibly three -- wide receivers next season. And I believe the first two will be drafted with the first three picks that they have in the draft.

3. Suddenly, offensive line may have become a position of need. How bad is Iupati's knee? And Anthony Davis is probably having the worst season I've ever seen.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by TheChozen:

I second that emotion, with a couple of caveats:

1. If the 49ers blow a 2nd round pick on a QB, it means they are not sold on CK7. That's the God's honest truth. Teams don't spend 2nd round picks on backup players. Sixth and seventh round picks? Yes, but not 2nd round picks.

2. Our biggest position of need right now is clearly wide receiver. I do not see the 49ers breaking the bank open for Crabtree. The man simply cannot stay healthy. Last year he was truly awesome. But last year was the first year he didn't break or tear something. I see the 49ers drafting two -- possibly three -- wide receivers next season. And I believe the first two will be drafted with the first three picks that they have in the draft.

3. Suddenly, offensive line may have become a position of need. How bad is Iupati's knee? And Anthony Davis is probably having the worst season I've ever seen.

I think Coleman would be a great addition.

I did the Jackson pick as protection, could be the new LG if Iupati bolts.

I agree WR is a huge need, so maybe Beckham over Murray, and get Price then. I just figured if I take a project QB the webzone would freak out.
Share 49ersWebzone