There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Geek's Mock Plan V2.0

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Geek's Mock Plan V2.0

Coaching Changes:

John Morton (fired) replaced with George Stewart (WR coach, Vikings).
- Stewart was the 49ers WR coach under Mooch. He's developed players like T.O., Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, and others. He could bring a new perspective on our passing game.

Ed Donatell (lands DC job) replaced with Eric Mangini (our offensive consultant)
-Our current DBs coach gets a DC job in the NFL. Mangini, already familiar with our team, lands the DB job.

Release: $10M in cap savings

Jonathan Baldwin - WR ($1.4M in savings)
Craig Dahl - S ($1.5M in savings)
Carlos Rogers - CB ($6.1M in savings)
Adam Snyder - OG ($1M in savings)

Restructure: $7M in cap savings

Vernon Davis - TE (2 year extension, $5M in 2014 savings)
Frank Gore - RB (Contract restructure, $2M in 2014 savings)

Resign: $12M in spending

Tramaine Brock - CB (4 year, $11M)
Donte Whitner - S (3 year, $14M)
Mario Manningham - WR (3 year, $7M)
Michael Wilhoite - LB (ERFA - $550k)
Eric Wright - CB (2 year, $1.75M)
Phil Dawson - K (1 year, $2M)

Free Agency : $9M in spending

Sidney Rice - WR (1 year, $2.5M; Cut from Seahawks)
*Low risk, high reward signing. Adds height and talent to our team. Developed under George Stewart.

Alex Mack - C (5 year, $32.5M; Free agent from Cleveland)
*Ah, the Eric Mangini connection. Mack locks up our center position for years to come.

NFL Draft -

R1: Darqueze Dennard - CB - Michigan State
*Dennard is a physical defender in the secondary with potential to be a shut down corner. We need that in our secondary.

(Trade 2nd and 4th to move up in 2nd round)

R2: Brandin Cooks - WR - Oregon State
*Blazing speed to keep the defense honest. Crabs and Rice on the outside, Cooks and Manningham on the inside. Patton to rotate.

R2: Dion Bailey - S - USC (via Chiefs)
*A guy that can flex at FS and SS, Bailey will add security to our secondary and eventually replace Whitner at SS.

R3: Aaron Murray - QB - Georgia (via Titans)
*Take it from the Packers or Titans, when you starter goes down, you need a viable backup.

R3: Morgan Moses - OT/OG - Virginia
*This is a pick to secure the offensive line for the 2015 season. Moses has dominant strength and projects best as an RT in the NFL. But he can play LT, RG, and RT, and provides that flexibility in his first year.

R3: Andre Hal - CB - Vanderbilt (comp)
*Plays the ball well and has good measurables.

R5: Garrison Smith - NT/DE - Georgia
*Strong game against Florida. Generates a pass rush even with his massive frame. Great on-field presence, emotional leader.

(Trade 6th and 7th for early 6th round pick)

R6: Spencer Long - OG - Nebraska
*Starts on the NFI list, but should be able to compete for the guard job in 2015.

R7: Allen Hurns - WR - Miami (via Colts)
*A tall lanky WR that adds size to our corps.

R7: Keon Lyons - CB - Syracuse (via Saints)
*Out for 2013 with an injury, Lyons reminds me a bit of Marcus Cooper. Again, another NFI type guy that could be a mid-season replacement for an injured 49er.

R7: Ryne Giddins - DE/OLB - USF
*Another pass rusher to throw in the mix. Injury concerns, but enough talent to take a flyer on him.

Depth Chart -
QB: Kaepernick/Murray*
RB: Gore/Hunter/James/Lattimore
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/McDonald/Celek

WR: Crabtree/Patton
WR: Rice*/Hurns*
WR: Manningham/Cooks*

LT: Staley/Bykowski
LG: Iupati/Looney
C: Mack*/Kilgore
RG: Boone
RT: Davis/Moses*

LE: Smith/Carradine
NT: Dorsey/Williams/Smith*
RE: McDonald/Dial

OLB: Smith/Skuta
ILB: Willis/Wilhoite
ILB: Bowman/Moody
OLB: Brooks/Lemonier

CB: Dennard*/Brock/Morris
CB: Culliver/Wright/Hal*
FS: Reid/Spillman
SS: Whitner/Bailey*/Ventrone

ST: Dawson, Lee, McDermott

NFI: Long, Lyons
PS: Clay, Giddins, Okoye, Debniak, Jacobs, Thomas, Swanson, UDFA QB
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Call out: My second round pick is the same as Idaho's mock pick and trade up. Credit goes to him on that.
Nice job
No thanks to Sydney im always hurt and overrated Rice. That guy has 0 value in the NFL imo. The target there should be Golden Tate whom I think Seattle lets leave in FA.
Nice looking draft but there is ZERO chance that Cleveland lets Mack walk. He will be franchised at the very least.
No way we would sign Sidney Rice, and not keep Boldin. I dont cre what everyone says, Boldin is well worth $5-$6 million a year. He is our only WR threat the first half of the season.

I also doubt we even think of signing a FA, especially giving big money for a Center. We likely go the draft route, or cheap route.

I like the draft.

Also one more thing, 1yr deal for Brock at most. I am not sold on him being a good CB, he shows as much negatives as positives. I really believe this was a statement year for him, he wants to be paid, and start, he isnt better than Brown, Cully or Rogers. Unfortunately Brown will bolt for more $$$, and Rogers will be cut. His savings is actually $5.1M GEEK.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
No way we would sign Sidney Rice, and not keep Boldin. I dont cre what everyone says, Boldin is well worth $5-$6 million a year. He is our only WR threat the first half of the season.

I also doubt we even think of signing a FA, especially giving big money for a Center. We likely go the draft route, or cheap route.

I like the draft.

Also one more thing, 1yr deal for Brock at most. I am not sold on him being a good CB, he shows as much negatives as positives. I really believe this was a statement year for him, he wants to be paid, and start, he isnt better than Brown, Cully or Rogers. Unfortunately Brown will bolt for more $$$, and Rogers will be cut. His savings is actually $5.1M GEEK.

Ah shoot. Back to the drawing board.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Nice mock draft Geek, I love your Dennard, Bailey, Hal, Cooks and Murray picks. Pretty much retooled the secondary....I like.

Aaron Murray FTW!!!!
Doubt we sign anyone outside the team to a large contract, would be nice though. Would love Mike Evans in the 1st
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Nice mock draft Geek, I love your Dennard, Bailey, Hal, Cooks and Murray picks. Pretty much retooled the secondary....I like.

Aaron Murray FTW!!!!

This ^^^, all those picks would be awesome. Didn't mean to come off wrong GEEK. I would love a guy like Mack at Center, but not sure Cleveland lets him go.

And no biggie over the cap savings. I would suggest we may extend McDonald and Willis at some point, McDonald is signed thru 2015, and Willis 2016, we can gain more room, to help with other extensions, and get two more key guys locked up. Both are keys on the defensive side of the ball.
The Mack signing would be awesome if Cleveland lets him walk. Sidney Rice, not so much. The Niners could do better with a younger, healthier alternative.

First 3 rounds are money on the draft. If the Niners don't get Mack and also don't sign Iupati, the need for a quality C/OG goes way up in the draft.