LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 401 users in the forums

Cody Latimer-WR-Indiana(Declared)

Originally posted by strickac:
From my perspective, I think Latimer going in the 3rd is accurate. He's only a junior, so he's going to continue to get better. Despite his time speed, Latimer isn't going to fly past many DBs, but he's fast enough to gain separation. I don't envision Latimer as an ideal deep threat in the NFL. What he is though is a smooth, natural athlete, with good hands that can get physical. He's one of, if not the best, blockers out of this WR class. You know the team loves that. Comparing him to former 49ers, I'd say you're getting a bigger, more productive version of Josh Morgan. Latimer's ceiling is a consistent #2.

I'm not blown away by Moncrief, like my zoners, but there's something there. He has deceptive speed for his size and he's able to behind defenses for big plays. He has the skill set to be a #1, but he seems to lose interest at times (just my impression). I see Moncrief as an inconsistent player that's to look like a star some weeks then completely disappear for several games.

It's hard to predict how their game translates, but I think most would agree the Moncrief has a higher ceiling. Latimer though could be a steal in the 4th. The team has said that you need a speedy #3 to force Seattle's safeties off the LOS. Latimer isn't that guy, whereas Moncrief could be a real problem in that role, particularly for Chancellor. Latimer would be a great pick to stash on the bench for a year or two, meaning we'd probably want to draft another WR prior to him.

I see Latimer as being legitimately strong, being very physical and getting his hands on guys and knocking defensive back's around. I haven't seen that same level of beast strength from Moncrief although he's got a solid frame. Moncrief has better deep speed and by far my favorite trait of his is his ability to simply separate and get open. As you mentioned, Latimer is very raw, he's been playing football for like 5 years total. I think he could have upped his draft position by staying in school but maybe he figured in the long-term he'd be better off with pro level coaching, I don't know, but both of these guys have a lot of potential to develop into high quality NFL receivers.

I think they actually complement each other pretty well.
Philadelphia, Carolina, Oakland, St. Louis and the New York Giants are among the teams Latimer said he's scheduled to visit before the draft.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2014/03/26/cody-latimer-impresses-shines-at-iu-pro-day/6929299/
[ Edited by Harbaalke on Mar 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
New video out there

He seems to be moving up the draft boards, I like his size and speed! He has team visits all over the league, will he still be there in the 3rd??
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
I just read on his twitter that he worked all off season with Brandon Marshall. Especially on his seperation ability.
[ Edited by DeUh on Apr 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM ]
I wouldnt mind us taken him at #94
Wouldn't mind us taking him early 3rd.
He is a good looking prospect but im not convinced the Niners will go this route. Its my belief the 49ers are looking for a prototypical slot WR with speed to burn to take the top of defenses. Just look at the free agents we were targeting this year.
Originally posted by 49erTravis:
He is a good looking prospect but im not convinced the Niners will go this route. Its my belief the 49ers are looking for a prototypical slot WR with speed to burn to take the top of defenses. Just look at the free agents we were targeting this year.

Right maybe grab Beckham/Cooks in 1st and Latimer with one of our 3rd round picks....we need to start planing for the future at WR and this is the prefect draft for that.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Essentially it boils down to two things:

1) Moncrief gives you superior "quick-twitch" explosiveness and deep speed to fly by the safety. Latimer is fine straight-line speed-wise, but doesn't quite have the same "plant and GONE" that Moncrief gives you.

2) Moncrief played in the SEC

Don't get me wrong, Latimer flashes a lot of great abilities with outstanding physical measurables, but there are some valid concerns that make the 3rd the most reasonably high spot for him. 2nd is not out of the question for a team that falls in love with the player -- but 3rd is the "most reasonably high" spot I'd project.
Thanks for the break down. I started reading this and asked that same question.

mcshay's latest espn mock has latimer being the 6th receiver picked, going in the 1st round, pick #23 to the chiefs...that would be an upset I would think
Originally posted by hofer36:
mcshay's latest espn mock has latimer being the 6th receiver picked, going in the 1st round, pick #23 to the chiefs...that would be an upset I would think

That is quite interesting. Have not heard any other buzz about him being a potential 1st rounder.
That is quite interesting. Have not heard any other buzz about him being a potential 1st rounder.

Tremendous talent and i like him as much as anyone but worth a 1st rounder? I dont see it.

How about mid 2nd round or so?
Lots of prospects people aren't talking about. Some very underrated names out there, especially among seniors in an awful senior WR class.

One guy I'm intrigued by is Allen Hurns of Miami. He has 800+ receiving with 5 TDs and is Top 20 in the nation in YPC average. Not only does the guy get open deep, I've noticed he's an extremely solid blocker. Right now projected as a late rounder, but I think this kid has potential.

Wanted to bump this because I think Hurns deserves some recognition. I still contend he should've been drafted and is having a monster pre-season for Jacksonville. Sure, it's still early, but Hurns is proving what I thought he would -- that his workout numbers didn't indicate at all what his game tape showed -- he's a good player who produced because he is a reliable pass catcher than simply gets open and makes plays.

Hurns, who leads all receivers in yards so far this pre-season, has skyrocketed up the depth chart and has actually garnered consideration for a starting role in Jacksonville, above draftees Lee and Robinson. Good stuff.
Share 49ersWebzone