LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Cody Latimer-WR-Indiana(Declared)

49ers met with Latimer at the Indiana Pro Day. He ran a 4.4 40 and had a 39 inch vertical.

Stephen Houston, another prospect I like a lot, reportedly had some pretty beastly numbers and did great in field drills.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 26, 2014 at 2:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
49ers met with Latimer at the Indiana Pro Day. He ran a 4.4 40 and had a 39 inch vertical.

Stephen Houston, another prospect I like a lot, reportedly had some pretty beastly numbers and did great in field drills.

I would be ELATED if we took Latimer. I grade him in the 3rd (and maybe even higher by draft time). He is among my top 10 WR's in this class. His manhandles opponents in the blocking game and had no problem beating Darqueze Dennard one on one. I can't give him any worse than a high 3rd round grade and think he borders on a 2nd round talent. I am glad we spoke to him. He would be a tremendous fit for our team.
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
I'm sorry but can anyone name a big ten WR who is worth a crap in the league right now?

Don't waste your time with anyone from that conference, especially offensive skill position players!

Brandon Llyod was a pro-bowler in 2010 went to Illinois
Mario Manningham- Michigan
Eric Decker- Minnesota
Ted Ginn- Ohio State
Brian Hartline- Ohio State

I'm gonna have to agree with Mutant here that list is crap
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I would be ELATED if we took Latimer. I grade him in the 3rd (and maybe even higher by draft time). He is among my top 10 WR's in this class. His manhandles opponents in the blocking game and had no problem beating Darqueze Dennard one on one. I can't give him any worse than a high 3rd round grade and think he borders on a 2nd round talent. I am glad we spoke to him. He would be a tremendous fit for our team.

My dream is Beckham in the 1st (by trading up) and Latimer in the 3rd.

Agreed. Latimer has definitely moved up into my 3rd rd range over the last month.

After his pro day, I think he'll go in the 3rd.
Originally posted by mkary12:

Even though I'm not a huge Beckham-in-the-first fan (it's not that I hate him, I just give him a 2nd round grade and not a 1st like many), I would be perfectly happy with that combination.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Could one of you break down Latimer vs. Moncrief...they have similar and awesome measureables, yet Moncrief is rated higher. Are they the same receiver, basically, on gameday? Thanks
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mkary12:

Even though I'm not a huge Beckham-in-the-first fan (it's not that I hate him, I just give him a 2nd round grade and not a 1st like many), I would be perfectly happy with that combination.

That would be sick ! Huge fan of both.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 27, 2014 at 6:56 AM ]

Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
I'm sorry but can anyone name a big ten WR who is worth a crap in the league right now?

Don't waste your time with anyone from that conference, especially offensive skill position players!

Brandon Llyod was a pro-bowler in 2010 went to Illinois
Mario Manningham- Michigan
Eric Decker- Minnesota
Ted Ginn- Ohio State
Brian Hartline- Ohio State

I'm gonna have to agree with Mutant here that list is crap

I think it's a major stretch to start eliminating a player based on his conference. That is a very poor way to jump to a conclusion in evaluating someone and writing them off. It makes much more sense to see who they performed against, and if Dennard is as good as many think, Latimer's performance (and I'm not even talking about stats) showed he can hang with some of the best and he displayed real potential.
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2014/03/26/cody-latimer-impresses-shines-at-iu-pro-day/6929299/

Timed as fast as 4.38, and this is fresh off of foot surgery.
Originally posted by Murphys1:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Could one of you break down Latimer vs. Moncrief...they have similar and awesome measureables, yet Moncrief is rated higher. Are they the same receiver, basically, on gameday? Thanks

Essentially it boils down to two things:

1) Moncrief gives you superior "quick-twitch" explosiveness and deep speed to fly by the safety. Latimer is fine straight-line speed-wise, but doesn't quite have the same "plant and GONE" that Moncrief gives you.

2) Moncrief played in the SEC

Don't get me wrong, Latimer flashes a lot of great abilities with outstanding physical measurables, but there are some valid concerns that make the 3rd the most reasonably high spot for him. 2nd is not out of the question for a team that falls in love with the player -- but 3rd is the "most reasonably high" spot I'd project.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 27, 2014 at 7:23 AM ]
Thanks OTC.
Originally posted by Murphys1:

From my perspective, I think Latimer going in the 3rd is accurate. He's only a junior, so he's going to continue to get better. Despite his time speed, Latimer isn't going to fly past many DBs, but he's fast enough to gain separation. I don't envision Latimer as an ideal deep threat in the NFL. What he is though is a smooth, natural athlete, with good hands that can get physical. He's one of, if not the best, blockers out of this WR class. You know the team loves that. Comparing him to former 49ers, I'd say you're getting a bigger, more productive version of Josh Morgan. Latimer's ceiling is a consistent #2.

I'm not blown away by Moncrief, like my zoners, but there's something there. He has deceptive speed for his size and he's able to behind defenses for big plays. He has the skill set to be a #1, but he seems to lose interest at times (just my impression). I see Moncrief as an inconsistent player that's to look like a star some weeks then completely disappear for several games.

It's hard to predict how their game translates, but I think most would agree the Moncrief has a higher ceiling. Latimer though could be a steal in the 4th. The team has said that you need a speedy #3 to force Seattle's safeties off the LOS. Latimer isn't that guy, whereas Moncrief could be a real problem in that role, particularly for Chancellor. Latimer would be a great pick to stash on the bench for a year or two, meaning we'd probably want to draft another WR prior to him.
Share 49ersWebzone