LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 334 users in the forums

Cody Latimer-WR-Indiana(Declared)

Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
This kid is good but im tired of all this Project superstar and taking fliers on guys and trying to get a steal in the draft. We have more than enough ammunition to put the time, effort and evaluation to find the best WR in the Draft. Whether its Mike Evans (who is my choice) or Sammy Watkins or whoever else. Its time to straight up draft a high first round talent an do away with all the kyle williams, marlon more and Baldwins of the world. Crabtree fell in our laps, i am scared to even think who would we would have if we hadnt taken him.

Baldwin was a first round talent, you realize this? There are absolutely no guarantees at the wide receiver position, it has the highest first round bust rate of any position. So, yes while I'd like to have someone like Watkins, I don't think that there isn't plenty of outstanding talent that will come after him in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Also, trading the farm for a single WR is generally stupid, look at Atlanta to see why. They traded a bunch of picks for Julio Jones and now their defense has more holes than swiss cheese, surely they could have used some of those picks to fill in the holes and have taken a guy a little further down who'd still be a good contributor and allowed them to maintain their overall team balance.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Once again, looking at the conference, not the individual player. Unless we're talking about the same system under the same coach, then I honestly see it as irrelevant. I'm sure some people figured that a quarterback out of EIU or Miami of Ohio would do s**t in the NFL....after all......"if they were any good" they would have gone elsewhere, some guys like to stick around where they are from or like a particular coach.

Latimer had offers from half a dozen other schools, including Oklahoma and this was after only having played football for 2 years. The head coach at Indiana was the OC at Oklahoma for many years and they ended up with many offensive players getting drafted quite high in the draft.

I'm sorry man but I'm on the side of history and the numbers say WR rarely from that confrence fair well in the league. Hartline, Decker and the old Holmes are the exception. The big ten just does not develop its skill players in a way that helps them succeed when they get to the NFL. Look at the RB and QB positions and you'll see that the big ten is represented very little in the league. If that doesn't tell you something then you are blind! Sure some kids will emerge but history is one thing I don't overlook!

Just put it this way, If he went to Indiana to play WR...chances are he doesn't make it in the NFL. I'll PASS!
Baldwin was a first round talent, you realize this? There are absolutely no guarantees at the wide receiver position, it has the highest first round bust rate of any position. So, yes while I'd like to have someone like Watkins, I don't think that there isn't plenty of outstanding talent that will come after him in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Also, trading the farm for a single WR is generally stupid, look at Atlanta to see why. They traded a bunch of picks for Julio Jones and now their defense has more holes than swiss cheese, surely they could have used some of those picks to fill in the holes and have taken a guy a little further down who'd still be a good contributor and allowed them to maintain their overall team balance.

They were a play away from the Super Bowl last year bro! Look at who Cleveland picked with all those picks. Weeden was one. There's no doubt Atlanta got the better end of that deal
[ Edited by mutant-man49 on Nov 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM ]
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
They were a play away from the Super Bowl last year bro! Look at who Cleveland picked with all those picks. Weeden was one. There's no doubt Atlanta got the better end of that deal

They were a playoff team before Jones and are now completely out of the playoffs and having a disastrous season, sure they've had injury issues but they were getting lit up even when everyone was healthy. They are a poorly constructed team, without their defense getting hot like it did last season, they won't be a serious contender. Its irrelevant who Cleveland took with that picks, it doesn't mean that Atlanta would have taken the same players by any stretch.
I'm sorry man but I'm on the side of history and the numbers say WR rarely from that confrence fair well in the league. Hartline, Decker and the old Holmes are the exception. The big ten just does not develop its skill players in a way that helps them succeed when they get to the NFL. Look at the RB and QB positions and you'll see that the big ten is represented very little in the league. If that doesn't tell you something then you are blind! Sure some kids will emerge but history is one thing I don't overlook!

Just put it this way, If he went to Indiana to play WR...chances are he doesn't make it in the NFL. I'll PASS!

Once again, focus on the player, not the conference. FSU QB's don't have a great record in the NFL, should that have stopped Buffalo from taking EJ Manuel who looks like a pretty damn good quarterback thus far? There are no absolutes, if someone is a truly good talent, they are a truly good talent wherever they play.

Using your logic, we should never see any small school, Division 3 guys make any impact in the NFL, ever, and we know that simply isn't true.
They were a playoff team before Jones and are now completely out of the playoffs and having a disastrous season, sure they've had injury issues but they were getting lit up even when everyone was healthy. They are a poorly constructed team, without their defense getting hot like it did last season, they won't be a serious contender. Its irrelevant who Cleveland took with that picks, it doesn't mean that Atlanta would have taken the same players by any stretch.

They need help on D but there's no way with the draft picks they gave away could they have gotten player(s) close to what Jones has given them. We're talking about a top 10 WR in the league. Draft trades are measured by what the other team got in return and so far, Cleveland lost that trade. You mentioned about the WR never being a sure thing but Julio was widly considered and can't miss prospect. Why would the team even draft a player at that position who is anything close to a project!? You must be the only person in the world who thinks that was a stupid trade for Atlanta. Injuries killed Atlanta on both sides of the ball.
Once again, focus on the player, not the conference. FSU QB's don't have a great record in the NFL, should that have stopped Buffalo from taking EJ Manuel who looks like a pretty damn good quarterback thus far? There are no absolutes, if someone is a truly good talent, they are a truly good talent wherever they play.

Using your logic, we should never see any small school, Division 3 guys make any impact in the NFL, ever, and we know that simply isn't true.

He's played 6 games man, how can you see he's going to be great/good from only 6 games?

Like I said sometimes players slip through the cracks but the majority of WR that make it in the NFL didn't play big ten. I'm sure years ago, the big ten produced WR galore in the league but in the last 15 years very very few wrs have come into the league and made an impact! Look at the numbers/drafts!
Is it just me or does he look like shawne merriman?
Declared. Stats this season->72 receptions, 1096 yards, 9 TD's with monster games against Missouri, Michigan State and Illinois.

Bring in Robinson or Moncrief and Latimer and the 49ers are set at WR with some big receivers.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 6, 2014 at 7:37 AM ]
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Is it just me or does he look like shawne merriman?

At first I thought Reggie Smith our old S but yeah you're is closer. Looks like smaller verison of him, almost dead one.

Anyways, I know any good evaluator looks at the prospect not just the school but when is the last time Indiana had a WR that worked out? I remember James Hardy 2nd round pick for the Bills but he busted. Antwaan Randle El is probably one of the few in the past 20+ years.Edit found list: Only a handful selected and Randle El looks like only one that worked out.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=I&collegeName=Indiana&abbrFlag=0&type=school

Same thing I know I shouldn't hold it against them but Robinson at Penn State, Lee at USC. It just scares me that the odds are so against a WR working out from that college.
Here is Penn State's. Only a few worked out
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=P&collegeName=Penn+State&abbrFlag=0&type=school

Same with USC, Lynn Swann and a few others worked out out of many.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=U&collegeName=USC&abbrFlag=0&type=school
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 6, 2014 at 5:45 PM ]

Originally posted by Gore_21:
At first I thought Reggie Smith our old S but yeah you're is closer. Looks like smaller verison of him, almost dead one.

Anyways, I know any good evaluator looks at the prospect not just the school but when is the last time Indiana had a WR that worked out? I remember James Hardy 2nd round pick for the Bills but he busted. Antwaan Randle El is probably one of the few in the past 20+ years.Edit found list: Only a handful selected and Randle El looks like only one that worked out.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=I&collegeName=Indiana&abbrFlag=0&type=school

Same thing I know I shouldn't hold it against them but Robinson at Penn State, Lee at USC. It just scares me that the odds are so against a WR working out from that college.
Here is Penn State's. Only a few worked out
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=P&collegeName=Penn+State&abbrFlag=0&type=school

Same with USC, Lynn Swann and a few others worked out out of many.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=U&collegeName=USC&abbrFlag=0&type=school

To that I respond with:

"Man, when is the last time a Tedford QB made it in the NFL, they are all busts, none of them amount to anything, why would this Rodgers guy be any different?"

You just never know, it truly pays to evaluate the prospect, just as Trent Richardson has turned out to be an epic bust thus far, Eddie Lacy looks pretty damn good, wouldn't you agree? Yes, Indiana and the Big 10 in general don't have a lot of high quality receiving prospects in recent history but that doesn't mean any receiving prospect that comes out is automatically tainted or somehow a lesser player. I happen to like Latimer a lot, he's a bit raw but if given time, could be a very good NFL WR.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM ]
To that I respond with:

"Man, when is the last time a Tedford QB made it in the NFL, they are all busts, none of them amount to anything, why would this Rodgers guy be any different?"

This will take it off topic but as good as Rodgers is I think some of it is their system and getting to sit on the bench and learn. He probably would have done what Alex did if he was put it Alex's situation. I agree you can't discount anyone because of the school but I'm just saying in the back of my mind at least it scares me that not 1 WR from the school has ever done anything or that very few have worked out like in USC or Penn State's case. That being said it won't matter to Baalke and the scouts which is the way it should be.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 7, 2014 at 12:45 AM ]

They need help on D but there's no way with the draft picks they gave away could they have gotten player(s) close to what Jones has given them. We're talking about a top 10 WR in the league. Draft trades are measured by what the other team got in return and so far, Cleveland lost that trade. You mentioned about the WR never being a sure thing but Julio was widly considered and can't miss prospect. Why would the team even draft a player at that position who is anything close to a project!? You must be the only person in the world who thinks that was a stupid trade for Atlanta. Injuries killed Atlanta on both sides of the ball.

So was Braylon Edwards. He was the number 3 pick if I remember right... I'm missing your point here. Have to agree with Phoenix everywhere in this thread.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
This will take it off topic but as good as Rodgers is I think some of it is their system and getting to sit on the bench and learn. He probably would have done what Alex did if he was put it Alex's situation. I agree you can't discount anyone because of the school but I'm just saying in the back of my mind at least it scares me that not 1 WR from the school has ever done anything or that very few have worked out like in USC or Penn State's case. That being said it won't matter to Baalke and the scouts which is the way it should be.

Can also think about it this way......prior to Kaepernick, how many NFL starting QB's came out of the University of Nevada? You have to go back to 1949 to find one that was picked higher than Kaepernick, and he only started one game in his entire career.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HeatSt20.htm
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 7, 2014 at 8:42 AM ]
I think Pho and GOFD were talking about Latimer was a good ST player early at Indiana. If this is true, I can see Baalke targeting him. They like their mid to late round picks to have ST abilities and with the probably loss of Osgood, he makes even more sense while having the potential to develop.
Share 49ersWebzone