There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

One speed WR, one size WR, your picks

If a team is willing to invest two seasons in developing these 6'3 and up sub 4.5 guys, you may come out with something. I thought Streeter should've played another year at the U. It's worth a shot taking a player like that in the 6th or 7th, but be prepared to spend 2 seasons developing the guy on the practice squad.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
The Combine and Pro Day workouts just add a piece to the puzzle. If the Niners see something relevant that adds to that game film, so be it.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Don't want to answer until the Combine and Pro Days. Would love if the Bigger WR's (Adams, Robinson, Moncrief) show some speed, too.
Who cares about the combine that much? The only thing there what is relevant is the size. A simple day cannot erase game film. That event is totally overrated imo.

The Combine and Pro Day workouts just add a piece to the puzzle. If the Niners see something relevant that adds to that game film, so be it.

Exactly. Dontari Poe IMO got drafted in the first largely because of his combine workouts. Measureables standout to me for certain positions more so than others. It really just depends on the position coaches. If you have guys that can hone that raw talent into something that translates onto the football field, then the workout numbers become more important. If you don't have the right staff in place, then you just have a guy with great numbers.
Let's get extreme:
a track star with unreliable hands will be useless at WR, a workout warrior without instincts is useless on the field behind the d-line and so on.

I am not a scout but I assume that scouts do not move guys around that much, i.e. a round or even two "just" because of some measurables or some pro days.
Like you said, it adds some pieces to the puzzle but I think that these pieces are very small.

No argument about the overall relevance of the workouts. Then again, if you have two big WR's like Allen Robinson and Donte Moncrief, knowing one of those guys posseses greater straight line speed or overall agility might mean the difference of investing a late first round pick or a late second.
  • cools
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,312
Im going with two west coasters, Cooks from Oregon st as my slot/speed guy and Adams as my size split end type, I know he's only 6'2 but plays big.
and instead of bringing back Boldin, Im going younger with free agent 6'5 D.Alexander from San Diego

Splitend- Alexeander/Adams
Slot- Cooks
Flanker- Crabs/Patton
[ Edited by cools on Jan 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM ]
Allen Robinson and Dri Archer. We need that lightning in a bottle
MarQuise Lee and whoever is left at the end of round 3 of
Devante Adams, Moncreif, Josh Huff,
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
MarQuise Lee and whoever is left at the end of round 3 of
Devante Adams, Moncreif, Josh Huff,

Baalke would definitely need to work his magic for us to come away with Lee and Moncrief at the of the third.
Cooks and Davante Adams
I don't see what everyone likes about lee so much. He's fast and produces but he's fragile and doesn't seem likely hell last in the NFC west. And around pick 20, I'd rather trade up to like 40 and grab cooks . Speed

And Moncrief in the 3rd. Underrated speed and he's a great route runner with a big body
Originally posted by DJamhour:
I don't see what everyone likes about lee so much. He's fast and produces but he's fragile and doesn't seem likely hell last in the NFC west. And around pick 20, I'd rather trade up to like 40 and grab cooks . Speed

And Moncrief in the 3rd. Underrated speed and he's a great route runner with a big body

Yeah that's my only knock on Lee. I love him when he's on the field, but the dude is as fragile as Percy Harvin. Mike Evans intrigues me because he plays with great finesse for a big guy. But I'm not sure he could get open against Seattle.
Where is the "Lee is fragile" thinking coming from? He had a knee injury, which can happen to any player at anytime, and only missed a couple games and came back and played on it even though he wasn't 100%. Comparing him to Harvin, who misses games cause he has a headache, is asinine and means you're looking for cheap, non-factual reasons to hate on the kid.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Where is the "Lee is fragile" thinking coming from? He had a knee injury, which can happen to any player at anytime, and only missed a couple games and came back and played on it even though he wasn't 100%. Comparing him to Harvin, who misses games cause he has a headache, is asinine and means you're looking for cheap, non-factual reasons to hate on the kid.

I don't hate the kid, I love the way he plays. I'd just rather have someone with less injuries . And less draft pick. And looks like they produce at the same level. Brandin cooks, that's all I'm saying, he's hell of a player and he's gonna have a huge impact with some team. Hopefully he's healthy and can have the same impact Harvin can , but I just don't know how healthy he can be especially in the roughest NFC west.
Originally posted by DJamhour:
I don't hate the kid, I love the way he plays. I'd just rather have someone with less injuries . And less draft pick. And looks like they produce at the same level. Brandin cooks, that's all I'm saying, he's hell of a player and he's gonna have a huge impact with some team. Hopefully he's healthy and can have the same impact Harvin can , but I just don't know how healthy he can be especially in the roughest NFC west.

Not taking sides in this debate but Lee's games played in college.


12 games
13 games
11 games



I don't see that as inherently injury prone, he was productive for the most part, especially with some lousy QB play. If anything I see him as a "buy low" opportunity, if you look at his other two seasons and how much production he had, its clear he'd be worth a look, even trading up a bit, to acquire him.
Phoenix what do you think about him in terms of primary WR-attributes? Any clear strengths or weaknesses?
Originally posted by communist:
Phoenix what do you think about him in terms of primary WR-attributes? Any clear strengths or weaknesses?

He makes some bad drops at times, generally a hands catcher but relies on his body too much at times. He's very dangerous with the ball in his hands after the catch but his biggest strength is his quickness and fluidity. He's not the fastest guy, not a pure deep threat but definitely has enough speed to take it to the house, however his biggest strength IMO is his lightning first step off the line and his ability to move very smoothly into his cuts. That right there tells me he'll be able to get separation in the NFL and ultimately, isn't that what we want most when drafting a WR? His quickness and smooth transition into his routes will dust off a lot of cornerbacks and once he gets the ball in his hands, he'll be able to do some damage after the catch too.


I've seen the Jeremy Maclin comparison floated around all over the place and I think that is as good a player to compare Lee to as any. I think if the 49ers could retain Crabtree long term, a group featuring Crabtree, Lee and Patton would be a very damn good one.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 3, 2014 at 7:47 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by communist:
Phoenix what do you think about him in terms of primary WR-attributes? Any clear strengths or weaknesses?

He makes some bad drops at times, generally a hands catcher but relies on his body too much at times. He's very dangerous with the ball in his hands after the catch but his biggest strength is his quickness and fluidity. He's not the fastest guy, not a pure deep threat but definitely has enough speed to take it to the house, however his biggest strength IMO is his lightning first step off the line and his ability to move very smoothly into his cuts. That right there tells me he'll be able to get separation in the NFL and ultimately, isn't that what we want most when drafting a WR? His quickness and smooth transition into his routes will dust off a lot of cornerbacks and once he gets the ball in his hands, he'll be able to do some damage after the catch too.


I've seen the Jeremy Maclin comparison floated around all over the place and I think that is as good a player to compare Lee to as any. I think if the 49ers could retain Crabtree long term, a group featuring Crabtree, Lee and Patton would be a very damn good one.

Don't get my wrong, i don't mind him, i just think cooks is just as effective.