There are 228 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

One speed WR, one size WR, your picks

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
which one are you referring to?

Washington. I sometimes feel like people pick out the biggest and fastest guy they can find and assume that is all you need to be a quality NFL receiver.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
which one are you referring to?

Washington. I sometimes feel like people pick out the biggest and fastest guy they can find and assume that is all you need to be a quality NFL receiver.

name one WR that has his size and speed that will be available in the 5th/6th
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
name one WR that has his size and speed that will be available in the 5th/6th

Why are those the only qualifying factors? Seriously, give me a guy that's 5'10", runs a 4.5 40, has great hands and is a quality route runner over some stiff that looks great out in the track and succeeds in college through pure athleticism. If all you needed was size and speed, Baldwin would be the 49ers leading receiver right now.

In that range, I would take TJ Jones over Washington 100 times out of 100. Smaller receiver but immensely productive, quality route runner and solid, dependable hands. Won't look as impressive running around in his underwear but a much more skilled receiver for those times they put on pads and cleats.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
name one WR that has his size and speed that will be available in the 5th/6th

Why are those the only qualifying factors? Seriously, give me a guy that's 5'10", runs a 4.5 40, has great hands and is a quality route runner over some stiff that looks great out in the track and succeeds in college through pure athleticism. If all you needed was size and speed, Baldwin would be the 49ers leading receiver right now.

fine, give me your ranking of 5th round - 7th round WRs.
TJ Jones will be gone in the 4th or earlier
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
TJ Jones will be gone in the 4th or earlier

I don't buy it. If Patton fell to the end of the 4th, I could see TJ Jones winding up going as far back as the late 5th round. Its possible he turns some heads in the offseason, but I see him as likely 4th to late 5th rounder. In that range, I think he's very good value and a very skilled receiver who'll get overlooked because he's not very big, not very fast but he makes plays and has done well with a lousy QB situation.


I think for a wide receiver, hands, coordination, agility and route running trump size and speed as considerations. Donte Moncrief is one of my favorite receivers in this draft, he's got size and speed, he's limited as a route runner though and needs to improve there. However he's also got tremendous hands,rarely drops a pass and he has tremendous ability to create separation from defensive backs. I feel that his route running issues can be coached up, however a guy with poor hands and limited awareness is going to have a tremendous amount of improvement to make to be a serviceable receiver.

Nothing I've seen from Washington makes me go "wow", he's got the ability to be a great pro receiver or even an average one. I need something more beyond "he's tall and hella fast."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:50 PM ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
fine, give me your ranking of 5th round - 7th round WRs.

Tough to say who'll be available and what round in particular, but guys in that range I'd be interested in? Ryan Grant of Tulane who's been a beast under the radar. Jones, Shaq Evans, Tracy Moore, Allen Hurns, Jeff Janis, Philly Brown, Bernard Reedy, DJ Banks.
Did Moncrief declare? I was under the impression he would stay.
Sammy Watkins and Kelvin Benjamin are who I want and those two will be the best receivers in the class
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Did Moncrief declare? I was under the impression he would stay.

No word eitherway, rumors that he was waiting until after the Bowl game to speak with his coach and take his advice on what he should do.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Sammy Watkins and Kelvin Benjamin are who I want and those two will be the best receivers in the class

Me too. Trade what we have to so we can get one of these two guys! Please
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Washington. I sometimes feel like people pick out the biggest and fastest guy they can find and assume that is all you need to be a quality NFL receiver.

Damn. I hope you're wrong about him. Seen him play quite a bit this season and I think it was the Georgia game in particular where he made some tough catches and looked wiry strong out there to go with his speed.

Seen some interviews with him too and he seems like a high character guy. I know you know your s**t so I defer to you as far as his route running cuz I honestly don't know nothing about that.

What about Devante Parker from Louisville? Another guy I like.. you hate him too? Lol
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Tough to say who'll be available and what round in particular, but guys in that range I'd be interested in? Ryan Grant of Tulane who's been a beast under the radar. Jones, Shaq Evans, Tracy Moore, Allen Hurns, Jeff Janis, Philly Brown, Bernard Reedy, DJ Banks.

Love Shaq Evans and Philly Brown as late-round sleepers.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
which one are you referring to?

Washington. I sometimes feel like people pick out the biggest and fastest guy they can find and assume that is all you need to be a quality NFL receiver.

name one WR that has his size and speed that will be available in the 5th/6th

Size and speed isn't all. If that were the case, Tommy Streeter should be killing it. Remember him?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Size and speed isn't all. If that were the case, Tommy Streeter should be killing it. Remember him?

This. I was a fan of Streeter too, I got lured in by his athleticism, ignored how raw he was. That was another lesson learned for me. I see Washington having similar sorts of issues in the NFL.