There are 198 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

One speed WR, one size WR, your picks

If we can somehow pull a trade and land Clemson's Watkins, then we would get "TWO IN ONE" from that guy..

But just incase we don't feel like being agressive, I think MARQUIZ LEE should be the priority... I keep hearing how he's a 2nd rounder, that's bull crap, we drafted Jenkins in the 1st round, why not take this guy..

But a dream come true for me is if we land Oregon's Black Mamba (Dat Thomas)... St Louis has Tavon, Seattle's got Percy, so heaven forbid Arizona lands this guy...
Kelvin Benjamin (size)
Odell beckham. Jr(speed)
[ Edited by 9ertillidie on Dec 24, 2013 at 6:05 PM ]
Lee is what we need
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Don't want to answer until the Combine and Pro Days. Would love if the Bigger WR's (Adams, Robinson, Moncrief) show some speed, too.
Who cares about the combine that much? The only thing there what is relevant is the size. A simple day cannot erase game film. That event is totally overrated imo.

The Combine and Pro Day workouts just add a piece to the puzzle. If the Niners see something relevant that adds to that game film, so be it.
Don't want to answer until the Combine and Pro Days. Would love if the Bigger WR's (Adams, Robinson, Moncrief) show some speed, too.
Who cares about the combine that much? The only thing there what is relevant is the size. A simple day cannot erase game film. That event is totally overrated imo.

The Combine and Pro Day workouts just add a piece to the puzzle. If the Niners see something relevant that adds to that game film, so be it.

Exactly. Dontari Poe IMO got drafted in the first largely because of his combine workouts. Measureables standout to me for certain positions more so than others. It really just depends on the position coaches. If you have guys that can hone that raw talent into something that translates onto the football field, then the workout numbers become more important. If you don't have the right staff in place, then you just have a guy with great numbers.
Odell Beckham Jr.

Speed AND size - L'Damian Washington: 6'4, 205 lbs, allegedly runs somewhere between 4.31 and 4.44. Poor mans Megatron?
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Dec 29, 2013 at 7:55 AM ]
is he a reliable catcher?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Exactly. Dontari Poe IMO got drafted in the first largely because of his combine workouts. Measureables standout to me for certain positions more so than others. It really just depends on the position coaches. If you have guys that can hone that raw talent into something that translates onto the football field, then the workout numbers become more important. If you don't have the right staff in place, then you just have a guy with great numbers.
Let's get extreme:
a track star with unreliable hands will be useless at WR, a workout warrior without instincts is useless on the field behind the d-line and so on.

I am not a scout but I assume that scouts do not move guys around that much, i.e. a round or even two "just" because of some measurables or some pro days.
Like you said, it adds some pieces to the puzzle but I think that these pieces are very small.
Sammy Watkins 6'1 200 4.4sp.
Cody Hoffman 6'5 215 4.59sp.
SIZE: Kelvin Benjamin - Florida State - 6'5", 234

SPEED: Odell Beckham, Jr. - LSU - 6'0", 193
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Odell Beckham Jr.

Speed AND size - L'Damian Washington: 6'4, 205 lbs, allegedly runs somewhere between 4.31 and 4.44. Poor mans Megatron?

s**t, you got 2 of my favorites! I like your thinking!
  • buck
  • Veteran

The most important thing at the combine is the medical exam.

The interviews are also important.
Originally posted by buck:
The most important thing at the combine is the medical exam.

The interviews are also important.

I think the combine is very important for fans because its tough for us to judge the measurable from watching games on TVs.

For example we might see a WR on TV and think he has 4.4 speed as he blows by guys, but the pro scouts know he has high 4.5 speed just from game film but we never realize it until the combine.

Other weird things that are important are hand size for receivers (got to love those big mits to catch balls) and arm length on DE's and OT's. Its not a "deciding factor" but its important. I mean you LOVE to find pass rushers with long arms.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Yep and you can combine that with horrendous route running and bad hands, like drafting a poor man's Jon Baldwin.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Yep and you can combine that with horrendous route running and bad hands, like drafting a poor man's Jon Baldwin.

which one are you referring to?