LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

One speed WR, one size WR, your picks

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Just admit you know nothing about him other than his size. Its ok i wont hold it against you. I have followed him his entire career. He has less drops than anyone on the team, has a higher YAC than anyone on the team, and has QB's no where near Carr's level throwing him the football. Maybe his numbers are suffering because he is being used in the slot in the short passing game more than he should have been? Look what happened against Texas Tech when Oklahoma decided to use him out wide more. 6 receptions, 153 yards, 2 TD's and a 25.5 average. Oklahoma has had a less than stable offense this season. Last season in 8 games played (ineligible early due to transfer) he had 62 receptions for 829 yards with Landry Jones throwing him the ball. He has also never missed a game due to injury.

In fact, look what this article states about him.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000269745/article/oklahomas-jalen-saunders-leads-top-receivers-in-week-9

Also here is an article about Oklahoma's struggles on offense this season.
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/tag/_/name/jalen-saunders

This guy doesnt look slow to me.

And what do you know? Look what happens when they use him as a deep threat on the edge....

The comparisons to KW are seriously laughable. I can understand the size criticisms, i really can, but other than that, any knocks i hear on him have no basis in reality.

Know nothing about him? I live in TX and am forced to see nothing but Big 12 games. I've seen enough of Saunders to know I'd pass on him. Big 12 defenses are a joke, and WAC defenses are even worse (and I'm saying WAC because Fresno was still in the WAC during Saunders years). Let's look at what he's done verse non-cupcake D's. ND-7 for 46 at 6.6, Texas aka DBU 3 for 18 at 6, TCUs always solid Defense 5 for 30 for 6. It's laughable when you say they finally used him correctly on the outside when there's no way he's playing there in the pros. And comparing him to Kyle Williams is incorrect, my apologies, cause Williams has way more speed than Saunders. I like you Idaho, but you seem to get overly offended when people don't agree with your assessment of players you like. You were the same guy who said Elvis Akpla would be the steal of the draft and be the next Victor Cruz. I understand rooting for someone, but getting offensive because someone doesn't like the same prospect you do is pointless. We are entitled to our own opinions, and just cause we don't like kid doesn't mean "we've never seen him play". Just means we don't like what we saw.
Mike Evans is by far an away the best receiver in College and will go in the top 10. This is the guy i want, we passed on Alshon Jeffery, if we have the opportunity to have evans you must take it. Its a no brainer, he does so much for Manziel its not even funny. Evans has rare body control and leaping ability for a guy his size. He is not quite as fast as Megatron but just as good Vertical and body control. Also much more experienced coming out of college than Calvin, considering he played at GT in a running system whereas Evans is in an offense that throws 50 times a game.
Give me the LSU boys! Beckham Jr. and Landry... FTW!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CaliNiner:
1) Odell Beckham Jr
2) Jordan Matthews

These two would be nice.

Also, I like Allen Robinson Penn St 6-3 204.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Know nothing about him? I live in TX and am forced to see nothing but Big 12 games. I've seen enough of Saunders to know I'd pass on him. Big 12 defenses are a joke, and WAC defenses are even worse (and I'm saying WAC because Fresno was still in the WAC during Saunders years). Let's look at what he's done verse non-cupcake D's. ND-7 for 46 at 6.6, Texas aka DBU 3 for 18 at 6, TCUs always solid Defense 5 for 30 for 6. It's laughable when you say they finally used him correctly on the outside when there's no way he's playing there in the pros. And comparing him to Kyle Williams is incorrect, my apologies, cause Williams has way more speed than Saunders. I like you Idaho, but you seem to get overly offended when people don't agree with your assessment of players you like. You were the same guy who said Elvis Akpla would be the steal of the draft and be the next Victor Cruz. I understand rooting for someone, but getting offensive because someone doesn't like the same prospect you do is pointless. We are entitled to our own opinions, and just cause we don't like kid doesn't mean "we've never seen him play". Just means we don't like what we saw.

I dont get offended in the slightest. I simply provide facts contrary to nonsense. You stated that his stats were inflated in Oklahomas offense. I stated facts contrary to that. Then you came back with some quick witted comment about him being worse at Oklahoma, again when he had a decent QB throwing him the ball he averaged more than 100 yards a game. If you watch Oklahoma this season you would know that their QB play is s**t, and their offense is bi polar.

I will admit i like to argue a bit about guys i like, and i do have an overly argumentative personality at times. Im not perfect, far from it, but i try to bring stats to back my arguments. I dont make simple blanket statements like "KW has way more speed than Saunders" or "he is a product of Oklahoma" without providing evidence that backs my claim.

And i like you too Travisty, Hope your not offended by me defending prospects i like because i will continue to do so. I dont mind if you continue to tell me im full of s**t, or call me out on guys i missed. I come here for conversations like these. I enjoy them.

JJ Wilcox, Alshon Jefferey, Justin Bethel, Antonio Allen, Robert Alford, Ace Sanders, Kevin Mcdermott, are all guys i defended in the past couple years and got flack for doing so, all are contributors on their teams in one way or another. Hell i was told time and time again that Alshon Jefferey was fat and lazy. I got told Mcdermott would never take Jennings spot at LS. I also Missed big on guys like Akpla, and was really high on Phillip Thomas, and he got injured. We all miss. Its funny when i defend a prospect i like, that people feel the need to bring up Akpla, a guy that i was high on two years ago. I missed. I got over it.

Still really like Jalen Saunders, and i will continue to promote and defend him. If you follow my draft posts over the years, I like to promote and post about guys that may be lesser known or on the margins because those are the guys i like to talk about. Its no fun for me to simply talk about guys that will go in the top 45. Saunders is a guy we could get in the mid rounds that offers something that i think no other WR on the roster going forward offers.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Nov 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM ]

JJ Wilcox, Alshon Jefferey, Justin Bethel, Antonio Allen, Robert Alford, Ace Sanders, Kevin Mcdermott, are all guys i defended in the past couple years and got flack for doing so

Yeah man... Jeffery and Alford were going to be very good IMO then...
Watkins and lee both speed
I dont get offended in the slightest. I simply provide facts contrary to nonsense. You stated that his stats were inflated in Oklahomas offense. I stated facts contrary to that. Then you came back with some quick witted comment about him being worse at Oklahoma, again when he had a decent QB throwing him the ball he averaged more than 100 yards a game. If you watch Oklahoma this season you would know that their QB play is s**t, and their offense is bi polar.

I will admit i like to argue a bit about guys i like, and i do have an overly argumentative personality at times. Im not perfect, far from it, but i try to bring stats to back my arguments. I dont make simple blanket statements like "KW has way more speed than Saunders" or "he is a product of Oklahoma" without providing evidence that backs my claim.

And i like you too Travisty, Hope your not offended by me defending prospects i like because i will continue to do so. I dont mind if you continue to tell me im full of s**t, or call me out on guys i missed. I come here for conversations like these. I enjoy them.

JJ Wilcox, Alshon Jefferey, Justin Bethel, Antonio Allen, Robert Alford, Ace Sanders, Kevin Mcdermott, are all guys i defended in the past couple years and got flack for doing so, all are contributors on their teams in one way or another. Hell i was told time and time again that Alshon Jefferey was fat and lazy. I got told Mcdermott would never take Jennings spot at LS. I also Missed big on guys like Akpla, and was really high on Phillip Thomas, and he got injured. We all miss. Its funny when i defend a prospect i like, that people feel the need to bring up Akpla, a guy that i was high on two years ago. I missed. I got over it.

Still really like Jalen Saunders, and i will continue to promote and defend him. If you follow my draft posts over the years, I like to promote and post about guys that may be lesser known or on the margins because those are the guys i like to talk about. Its no fun for me to simply talk about guys that will go in the top 45. Saunders is a guy we could get in the mid rounds that offers something that i think no other WR on the roster going forward offers.
We are just going to have to disagree about Saunders. IMO, we had a similar player (Williams) who was more of a deep threat than Saunders is and he never materialized. Saunders is more shifty than Williams, but to me, not nearly as fast. Williams was a better blocker, and bigger in size (yet still hurt quite a bit).

And just so you know, I like that you mention lesser known players (mainly from the NW area). Gives me and others more guys to pay attention to. And both you and I were both very high on Ace last year.

Keep doing what you're doing. I just wanted to let you know, from my personal perspective, if I say I don't like a player, it's cause I've actually seen him play and not just hating to hate. I would never discredit a player solely to argue with another poster.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
We are just going to have to disagree about Saunders. IMO, we had a similar player (Williams) who was more of a deep threat than Saunders is and he never materialized. Saunders is more shifty than Williams, but to me, not nearly as fast. Williams was a better blocker, and bigger in size (yet still hurt quite a bit).

And just so you know, I like that you mention lesser known players (mainly from the NW area). Gives me and others more guys to pay attention to. And both you and I were both very high on Ace last year.

Keep doing what you're doing. I just wanted to let you know, from my personal perspective, if I say I don't like a player, it's cause I've actually seen him play and not just hating to hate. I would never discredit a player solely to argue with another poster.

Appreciate the honesty. That comment was more tongue in cheek, but i apologize if it came across the wrong way. Its hard to convey sarcasm across the internet sometimes. Always appreciate your opinions man.
Marqise Lee
Donte Moncrief (or however you spell it)

Interesting thread, good stuff. In reality, we may take a high-low doubleton, but I can't see them investing the sort of picks, including the costs of trading up, that are being floated here.

But nothing wrong with a bit of fantasy!
If we land Allen Robinson I'll be a happy man. I think he's the second best Wr in this draft behind Watkins. Marqise Lee has taken a step back without Matt Barkley.
Originally posted by Broseph6:
Watkins and lee both speed

Haha... That might break the draft bank for a couple three years..........

really want robinson if evans or watkins is out of reach
Watching Las Vagus Bowl.... Looking like I'd take Lee-speed & Adams-size. Nice watching both WRs during the same game
Share 49ersWebzone