LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

#1 QB prospects in this years draft.

Originally posted by hofer36:
how about aj mccarron--a winner who can manage a game--and he hasa hot girlfriend

product of a system
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He also possesses limited arm strength and the biggest knock on him is his inability to get through his progressions, I don't even care about the size issue, Brees and Wilson have been successful in spite of it. He's an interesting, albeit limited prospect. Brees and Wilson are about the same size, smaller possibly in the case of Wilson, but both possess stronger arms than Murray.

limited arm strength? I'm curious who you think has more arm strength than Murray. You posted about us taking Jordan Lynch and Lynch doesn't have half the arm strength Murray does.

Murray is playing with one of the weakest WR groups in the nation.

And he doesn't go through his progressions!?!? He is probably the best in college football when it comes to a pro-oriented offense and going through progressions.

I really don't get the knocks on Murray at all. He makes NFL throws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I0fT6DGGCk
-Look at 2:29. That is one hell of a throw and he put it exactly where he wanted to even though it was an incompletion. I hardly see any college QB making a throw like that. That is a 40 yard out pattern off a play action from the opposite hash mark

So many college QB stats are so overblown. You have QBs like Marriota throwing deep strikes but its on blown coverage generated from spread option or Brett Hundley jacking up his stats with 5 yard dump off passes. I'd LOVE to see an adjusted stats for throwing against coverage and taking off YAC. Murray would KILL it in that stat. Or you have Manziel who is pretty much the master of the broken/backyard football.

Compare that to Mettenberg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in3IJZ04fEE
-On the first play. Almost identical to Murray's play above. Mettenberg throws the ball to where it can be contested and puts a LOT of air underneath it, but its Odell Beckham that makes the play. If Murray had Beckham....peoples thoughts on Murray would be much improved.

Now IMO, on those 2 throws, its Murray who demonstrates the stronger arm and better deep ball accuracy

Only QB in college doing more NFL throws IMO is Teddy Bridgewater.

So who do you think is a 2nd/3rd round QB we should take over Murray?

Per CBS rankings, the QBs in Murray's draft range is as follows: Brett Hundley, Tajh Boyd, A.J. McCarron or Jimmy Garoppolo.

I'd take Murray over those guys. And I think Murray has a stronger arm than all those guys, well not sure about Garoppolo as I haven't seen him.

I seriously doubt Hundley comes out this year as he has been average at best.

So I'm curious who you think is a mid round QB that has such superior arm strength to Murray?

On the phone atm, ill give a more detailed response but Matthews is a guy I would take and then hire a proper QB coach to work with him. He is a California guy with a strong football iq, a very good arm and likely will be available in the later rounds, thus allowing the 49ers to spend their early picks on CB, WR, DE, S.
So who do you think is a 2nd/3rd round QB we should take over Murray?

Per CBS rankings, the QBs in Murray's draft range is as follows: Brett Hundley, Tajh Boyd, A.J. McCarron or Jimmy Garoppolo.

I'd take Murray over those guys. And I think Murray has a stronger arm than all those guys, well not sure about Garoppolo as I haven't seen him.

I seriously doubt Hundley comes out this year as he has been average at best.

So I'm curious who you think is a mid round QB that has such superior arm strength to Murray?

On the phone atm, ill give a more detailed response but Matthews is a guy I would take and then hire a proper QB coach to work with him. He is a California guy with a strong football iq, a very good arm and likely will be available in the later rounds, thus allowing the 49ers to spend their early picks on CB, WR, DE, S.

especially with the picks he has stockpiled id like to baalke follow the ron wolf appraoch and pick a qb every draft---you develop one and you will receive more picks in return, or have your guy to run your offense for a decade

So you'll knock Murray and then want us to draft a guy who we have no clue how strong his arm is?

I've never seen Matthews play, but I found this youtube clip on him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA_jPt0WBWc

I watched the first 6 minutes. I didn't see a single throw demonstrating arm strength.

And how do you know he has football IQ? You see that defense Yale is playing? lol. He literally stands in the pocket for 10 seconds without any pressure.
Originally posted by ninerfreak:
product of a system

Aren't all QBs a product of their system?

One could say Kaeps recent struggles have been because of his being forced to play under center opposed to in the pistol which he is clearly more comfortable in.

Point being McCarron is efficient, intelligent, and has sound mechanics. He's not a 1st rounder but he's a viable options.

I've been at the lake house with family so I won't be able to post much for a couple of days, but I read most of your posts, and I really enjoyed them. QBs are easily the most divisive position because the perception of the player is open to personal bias and personal inclination to certain traits. Personally I value accuracy, footwork, and intelligence. I want someone who can hit his receivers, evade pressure, and punish busted coverages.

Here's my list of guys that feel the role:

Bridgewater
Aaron Murray
Boyd
Mettenberger
Hundley

I will rejoin the conversation with a personal analysis of Murray, Mett, and Hundley.
So you'll knock Murray and then want us to draft a guy who we have no clue how strong his arm is?

I've never seen Matthews play, but I found this youtube clip on him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA_jPt0WBWc

I watched the first 6 minutes. I didn't see a single throw demonstrating arm strength.

And how do you know he has football IQ? You see that defense Yale is playing? lol. He literally stands in the pocket for 10 seconds without any pressure.

Matthews has an absolute cannon, he might have one of the strongest arms in the draft. That part isn't even up for debate, its the reason why pro scouts have been crashing Cornell games this season, its not to scout their TE or WR's. His arm has drawn comparisons to Joe Flacco. His issues are ones that can be coached up, namely, bad footwork, but he's a traditional pocket QB, a total gunslinger with a quick release who is always looking to make the big play. He's been incredibly productive while surrounded by crap essentially. If he can be had in the 4th or 5th round, he'd be a heck of a developmental prospect for a team to coach up.

It is that arm strength from the 6-foot-4 Mathews that may separate him from many of the 2014 QBs. He can zip the ball all over the field, making him a fit for either a vertical-based attack like the one Bruce Arians utilized with Andrew Luck in Indianapolis last season or a more horizontal, West Coast offense.

The current Cornell scheme is an intricate one, implemented by former Big Red and current Hamilton Tiger Cats coach Kent Austin, which utilizes the shotgun, pistol and under-center looks. Archer also points out that Cornell's offense involves a "complex adjustment package," one that asks both the quarterback and receivers to make multi-level reads after the snap.

Mathews, a student of the game, has had no issues digesting the playbook.

"He's really knowledgeable of the offense, and this is not an easy offense," Hurd says. "He can tell exactly where the ball's gonna go, based on one movement from a defensive player.

"He studies more film … he's here during the summer, up in the offices all the time watching film on his own. He gets it."

Mathews put in some extra work under center in the spring — he played out of the shotgun in high school, so he has more experience dropped back off the line. According to Hurd, he and Mathews also practiced extensively at getting quicker with his release, especially out of the shotgun.

And it is Mathews' footwork that may eventually make or break his draft stock. Mathews has completed better than 61 percent of his passes at Cornell, but early scouting reports question whether or not he can move well enough, both in and out of the pocket, to succeed at the next level.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/06/25/unheralded-jeff-mathews-intriguing-scouts-in-a-year-of-star-studded-qbs/

His footwork is the biggest issue, he's a guy who needs to be coached up ...he still turns the ball over by trying to do too much but the potential, intelligence, a rocket arm, all are there, the offense he plays in requires multiple reads, adjusting to the defense, finding the weakest point in the defense and attacking, its definitely an "Ivy League" offense, unnecessarily complicated but Matthews has made it work. Definitely a solid prospect for Harbaugh and co. to work with.

As far as size, he's 6'4" with a very solid build.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM ]
So just to be clear, you are forming your opinion on Matthews from what you've read on news articles and not seen yourself in games?
So just to be clear, you are forming your opinion on Matthews from what you've read on news articles and not seen yourself in games?

I actually first started following him in 2011 when he first began generating a lot of hype after throwing for 1000 yards in 2 games. I've seen several of his games up to this point, including the recent Harvard game, as well as against Penn and Harvard last season.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Aaron Murray of the San Francisco 49ers........mmmmm yah I went too far got carried away a little.

Poise/Pocket presence---check

NFL arm-----check

QB mechanics-----check

6'4" 225 pounds-------yah I don't give a s**t about that so------check

His last name starts with a "M" like Montana-------check

Seriously though, I would love to see this guy in the 49ers offense. I think the 9ers have the perfect offense for him, power-running game with Boldin and Crabs on each side hell yes!! I wonder if Harbaugh and Baalke see the same.

Originally posted by Kolohe:

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Aaron Murray of the San Francisco 49ers........mmmmm yah I went to far got carried away a little.

Poise/Pocket presence---check

NFL arm-----check

QB mechanics-----check

6'4" 225 pounds-------yah I don't give a s**t about that so------check

His last name starts with a "M" like Montana-------check

Seriously though, I would love to see this guy in the 49ers offense. I think the 9ers have the perfect offense for him, power-running game with Boldin and Crabs on each side hell yes!! I wonder if Harbaugh and Baalke see the same.

Or they just stick with Kaepernick and his long-term potential, I think that if the 49ers wanted a game manager, they would have drafted Andy Dalton to begin with.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:42 PM ]
For a midround QB (which i think is most likely the area we look for one) I will take Jimmy Garoppolo.

Here is a nice article about his development and career.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131113/jimmy-garoppolo-eastern-illinois/
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
For a midround QB (which i think is most likely the area we look for one) I will take Jimmy Garoppolo.

Here is a nice article about his development and career.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131113/jimmy-garoppolo-eastern-illinois/

I like Garoppolo a lot too, still lingering questions about his arm strength but he's putting up some retarded, Madden on easy mode numbers this season, 42 TD's to 8 INT's while completing 66% of his passes..........

Everything I've heard makes him sound like a really humble, down to earth guy, hard worker, picks up things very quickly, a very interesting prospect.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Well as a Mod I do have certain powers to correct my mistakes so HA!!!!

So anyways I'd take Aaron Murray over any QB in this draft class if I had the chance (and if I was a NFL GM too) lol.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well as a Mod I do have certain powers to correct my mistakes so HA!!!!

See, this is where it all starts, only going to lead you to hitting up noobs for $20 "donations" to your private charity in order to gain full posting privileges.....although seeing the sheer amount of Seahawks trolls and otherwise around here lately, I don't know if I'd necessarily be against that.

Share 49ersWebzone