LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

#1 QB prospects in this years draft.

I am disappointed that it has come to this, especially considering that Baalke gave up 5th and 7th round picks to get Colt McCoy. Not much value to most teams, bt Trent Baalke has a knack for finding talent in the later rounds and I look at it as at least one role player or even something that could've been traded for a future pick (like a 2014 4th round pick) that we don't have anymore. Oh well, you live and you learn.

With that said, i wouldn't mind if we took a QB in the third that could push Kaep. Not only could it potentially give us a quality backup, but it would also be motivation for Kaep (iron sharpens iron as Jim Harbaugh and another poster said), and insurance in the event he doesn't improve or want TOO much to be extended.

In response to the question being asked, I haven't watched enough games of any one QB that I'd want AND would actually be available in the 3rd or 4th round.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Actually, I was thinking the same thing. It would definitely be a surprise if the Niners took a QB early, but the front office is all about depth so why not?

The Niners aren't going to get any of the blue chip QB prospects, but I wouldn't mind seeing any one of these QB's on the Niners roster:

James Franklin
Tajh Boyd
Jimmy Garrapolo
Jordan Lynch

Buyer beware:

Logan Thomas

Who does Buyer Beware play for? I want his shirt!
Draft David Fales! He backed up Kaep in Nevada
Snatch Case McCoy in the 2nd rd.

Thas real, it's what we do in the 2nd, true story.

O sheet, are those pennies? and you're just giving em away?
a guy under the radar a bit--Blake Bortles of Central Florida--prototypical size, good #s, team is winning
Originally posted by DONBIS:
Snatch Case McCoy in the 2nd rd.

Thas real, it's what we do in the 2nd, true story.

O sheet, are those pennies? and you're just giving em away?

No clue what is going on in this post.
Originally posted by hofer36:
a guy under the radar a bit--Blake Bortles of Central Florida--prototypical size, good #s, team is winning

he's my favorite QB!
I seriously wonder what the odds of Niners drafting a QB are right about now. top 2 rounds.
[ Edited by winningestqb on Nov 18, 2013 at 12:55 AM ]
Originally posted by winningestqb:
I seriously wonder what the odds of Niners drafting a QB are right about now. top 2 rounds.

I think they might have to now.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Aaron Murray please.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Aaron Murray please.

YES!
Aaron Murray please.

This! He is a four year starter in the SEC and has played in more than a handful of big games. Most of the time he will have his team in position to win. Just like this past weekends game against Auburn. He lead Georgia through three fourth quarter scoring drives to make a big comeback, and had Georgia in the best possible position to win but a inexcusable defensive lapse cost Georgia that game in the dwindling seconds. I really like Murray. Great leader and maturity. Ultra competitive.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
This! He is a four year starter in the SEC and has played in more than a handful of big games. Most of the time he will have his team in position to win. Just like this past weekends game against Auburn. He lead Georgia through three fourth quarter scoring drives to make a big comeback, and had Georgia in the best possible position to win but a inexcusable defensive lapse cost Georgia that game in the dwindling seconds. I really like Murray. Great leader and maturity. Ultra competitive.

He also possesses limited arm strength and has struggled to get through his progressions. I don't even care about the size issue, Brees and Wilson have been successful in spite of it. He's an interesting, albeit limited prospect. Brees and Wilson are about the same size, smaller possibly in the case of Wilson, but both possess stronger arms than Murray.

Others have made the Matt Barkley comparison, I can see that, although he seems less douchier and a better leader than Barkley. Christian Ponder is another guy he plays similarly to....at least in terms of college.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM ]
Aaron Murray please.

My pick as a QB for us to target in the 3rd. IMO, he'd be an upgrade over Colt and could probably relay more notes to Kap as far as the defensive alignments.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He also possesses limited arm strength and the biggest knock on him is his inability to get through his progressions, I don't even care about the size issue, Brees and Wilson have been successful in spite of it. He's an interesting, albeit limited prospect. Brees and Wilson are about the same size, smaller possibly in the case of Wilson, but both possess stronger arms than Murray.

limited arm strength? I'm curious who you think has more arm strength than Murray. You posted about us taking Jordan Lynch and Lynch doesn't have half the arm strength Murray does.

Murray is playing with one of the weakest WR groups in the nation.

And he doesn't go through his progressions!?!? He is probably the best in college football when it comes to a pro-oriented offense and going through progressions.

I really don't get the knocks on Murray at all. He makes NFL throws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I0fT6DGGCk
-Look at 2:29. That is one hell of a throw and he put it exactly where he wanted to even though it was an incompletion. I hardly see any college QB making a throw like that. That is a 40 yard out pattern off a play action from the opposite hash mark

So many college QB stats are so overblown. You have QBs like Marriota throwing deep strikes but its on blown coverage generated from spread option or Brett Hundley jacking up his stats with 5 yard dump off passes. I'd LOVE to see an adjusted stats for throwing against coverage and taking off YAC. Murray would KILL it in that stat. Or you have Manziel who is pretty much the master of the broken/backyard football.

Compare that to Mettenberg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in3IJZ04fEE
-On the first play. Almost identical to Murray's play above. Mettenberg throws the ball to where it can be contested and puts a LOT of air underneath it, but its Odell Beckham that makes the play. If Murray had Beckham....peoples thoughts on Murray would be much improved.

Now IMO, on those 2 throws, its Murray who demonstrates the stronger arm and better deep ball accuracy

Only QB in college doing more NFL throws IMO is Teddy Bridgewater.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone