There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

#1 QB prospects in this years draft.

I would've thought this thread was completely unnecessary and ridiculous, but now I think you're on to something.

Make no mistake, I still think Kap is the guy BUT I think it would be very productive if we took a better back up QB. Doesn't have to be a huge, top prospect but a QB who is solid to light a fire under Kap and give him some competition so he can work harder and step up. Having McCoy and McBeth behind him isn't threatening or very motivating.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I'd like for us to take James Franklin, Mizzou

2 serious injuries to his throwing shoulder, plus not great accuracy to begin with. Not a good combination.


you're not going to find a late round flyer or UDFA QB without problems
I'd be fine as Franklin being a 3rd string QB. But I truly believe we need a starting QB type as our #2. Harbaugh always preaches "iron sharpens iron". Well Alex was Colin's iron. Colt McCoy, MBT are not iron. They are no threat to Colin. We need someone who Colin should be wondered could take his job just like he took Alex's. I don't want Colin to become complacent, I want him to be that guy who had 1 football scholarship and play with a chip on his shoulder (not saying he's not working hard or any of that). I just would love a team with starter caliber role players. I'd be all for us using a 2nd on a very good QB. Carr, Petty, Murray, Fales are guys we should be looking at long and hard.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I would've thought this thread was completely unnecessary and ridiculous, but now I think you're on to something.

Make no mistake, I still think Kap is the guy BUT I think it would be very productive if we took a better back up QB. Doesn't have to be a huge, top prospect but a QB who is solid to light a fire under Kap and give him some competition so he can work harder and step up. Having McCoy and McBeth behind him isn't threatening or very motivating.

We were always gonna be drafting a QB this year IMO. Its a strong class, and we need a backup.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
LOL SD.

Use the search feature or stay out of the Draft forums.

So who do you think?

Ignoring you first post, which will eventually lead to this thread being locked, I really like Derek Carr, but i am a bit biased admittedly. Can make all the throws, mobile enough, Great leader, loves football, great personality and intangibles.

He is making a case for himself as a first rounder though, and even if Kap continues to struggle i don't see us drafting a QB in the first round.

I like other QB's as well, but i really like Carr.

Do you think Derek Carr can be a #1 QB? Who else do you like?

I honestly think Carr has the potential to be the best QB out of this class. He slimply LIVES for football. He has since he was born. Kid was born to be a QB.

Other QB's i like are

Jimmy Garropolo
Jeff Mathews
Kieth Price
Rakeem Cato


Those are guys that will be spaced throughout the draft. Though to be fair i havent spent a lot of time grading QB's.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Nov 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM ]
taking a qb is a real possibility

not necessarily to replace Kap, but for a solid #2.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
taking a qb is a real possibility

not necessarily to replace Kap, but for a solid #2.

I have been saying for a while now we would be taking one. No doubt in my mind, just depends where we pick him.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
I'd be fine as Franklin being a 3rd string QB. But I truly believe we need a starting QB type as our #2. Harbaugh always preaches "iron sharpens iron". Well Alex was Colin's iron. Colt McCoy, MBT are not iron. They are no threat to Colin. We need someone who Colin should be wondered could take his job just like he took Alex's. I don't want Colin to become complacent, I want him to be that guy who had 1 football scholarship and play with a chip on his shoulder (not saying he's not working hard or any of that). I just would love a team with starter caliber role players. I'd be all for us using a 2nd on a very good QB. Carr, Petty, Murray, Fales are guys we should be looking at long and hard.


We have a lot of other needs that are pretty pressing. I think we'll only have 2 CBs (Culliver and Rogers) on contract for 2014 and only about $7million in cap space. Plus Whitner is a FA. Plus I think KW, Manningham and Boldin are FA. We need to draft 2 CBs, 2 WRs, and a Safety early because we don't have the cap space to sign FAs.

Goodwin is a FA, but hopefully Kilgore is ready to step up. Will still need an lineman though for back u/reserve duties, can't risk being thin there.
how about aj mccarron--a winner who can manage a game--and he hasa hot girlfriend
[ Edited by hofer36 on Nov 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM ]
how about we draft some true playmakers for this offense at ohhhh idkkkk receiver maybe?!
Originally posted by hofer36:
how about aj mccarron--a winner who can manage a game--and he hasa hot girlfriend

She is going to dump him soon but he would be a good 3rd or 4th rd pickup to backup Kaep.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
I'd be fine as Franklin being a 3rd string QB. But I truly believe we need a starting QB type as our #2. Harbaugh always preaches "iron sharpens iron". Well Alex was Colin's iron. Colt McCoy, MBT are not iron. They are no threat to Colin. We need someone who Colin should be wondered could take his job just like he took Alex's. I don't want Colin to become complacent, I want him to be that guy who had 1 football scholarship and play with a chip on his shoulder (not saying he's not working hard or any of that). I just would love a team with starter caliber role players. I'd be all for us using a 2nd on a very good QB. Carr, Petty, Murray, Fales are guys we should be looking at long and hard.


We have a lot of other needs that are pretty pressing. I think we'll only have 2 CBs (Culliver and Rogers) on contract for 2014 and only about $7million in cap space. Plus Whitner is a FA. Plus I think KW, Manningham and Boldin are FA. We need to draft 2 CBs, 2 WRs, and a Safety early because we don't have the cap space to sign FAs.

Goodwin is a FA, but hopefully Kilgore is ready to step up. Will still need an lineman though for back u/reserve duties, can't risk being thin there.
I agree we need CBs and WRs, but we will more than likely grab a couple of these in Free Agency. It won't be big name guys, but depth. Cully and I think Wright gets resigned with be top guys next year unless we work a long term deal with Brown. So that leaves us a 1st, 2 2nds, more than likely 3 3rds to get a CB, WR, SS, backup QB, another CB or WR just in the 1st 3 rounds. Plus more picks to add depth at other positions. We can all agree CB and WR are are positions of dire need (SS if Whitner isn't resigned), plenty of picks left even if we use a high 2nd or 3rd on a guy who is a very important insurance policy.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Who are the best #1 QB prospects in this years draft? If Kaep continues to struggle we may need not only a better backup but a starter of the future. Kaep is in no way a franchise QB at this point. Who do you like of the seniors or juniors who may come out early? Who can be a franchise signal caller for the future of this team? What are the WZ opinions?

San Diego has officially reverted back to 2007 form lol.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Yes!

Although we still need to draft a 2bd and a 3rd string qb.
Actually, I was thinking the same thing. It would definitely be a surprise if the Niners took a QB early, but the front office is all about depth so why not?

The Niners aren't going to get any of the blue chip QB prospects, but I wouldn't mind seeing any one of these QB's on the Niners roster:

James Franklin
Tajh Boyd
Jimmy Garrapolo
Jordan Lynch

Buyer beware:

Logan Thomas