LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 351 users in the forums

Donte Moncrief-WR-Ole Miss

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Can someone tell me the appeal of Moncrief? I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him but why is he so popular here?
Because we need the type WR that can beat SEA secondary. We need someone that can get off the jam and outrun them consistently. Moncrief seems to be physically capable to do both

Why is anyone even questioning the interest in Moncrief? The guy is a strong 6-3 receiver who ran a 4.4 at the combine and has run an unofficial 4.35.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Can you show that ? When there is no one in front of him I have NEVER seen him get chaught from behind. And I saw every Vanderbilt game last season and most in 2012.
Also Matthews takes a lot of pride in that and says it frequently. I have never heard a scout or expert say different.

Go to YouTube, hit the search tab, type in Jordan Matthews and click on any of the links. The videos speak for themselves. Living in Memphis our tv market for the SEC is either Vandy or Ole Miss, so I have seen plenty of both guys in several games. I am a fan of both guys, I just feel Moncrief better fits our needs than Matthews. Again, if we could get both, I'd be f**kin' ecstatic.

I think you misunderstand what Jordan Matthews means by saying "i never got caught from behind". Of course he got tackled from behind. I think there is not a single player that never got tackled from behind. BUT WHEN HE IS IN THE OPEN FIELD RUNNING WITH FULL SPEED DOWN THE SIDELINE WITH NO ONE IN FRONT OF HIM HE NEVER GOT CAUGHT FROM BEHIND. If you still disagree with that feel free to show the world the exact plays you are speaking about, cause Matthews is taking a lot of pride in that.

I think that if there were instances where that happened, it would make his YouTube highlights...don't you? I watched him play his entire career and he just doesn't get deep much. The YouTube videos speak for themselves. He is very good after the catch and makes some difficult catches, but I cannot remember but one single time where he had a long touchdown due to his speed. If we needed another possession reviever I would want Matthews, but we do not need another one. You guys need to quit actin like I am saying he sucks, I like the kids game, but we need someone that has better deep speed.

Instances where he is not getting caught while running full speed down the sideline with no one in front of him ??

Here is one example

Here is another example

Also you said he doesn go deep much ( which is not true as he caught 12 catches 20 yrds or deeper last season. Only Cooks (17), Benjamin (14) and Evans (18) caught more balls 20 yrds or deeper when talking about the big names.). But what has that to do with the statement that he has never been caught anyways ??

Normally receivers need a season to make the full transition to the NFL. So yes we should draft another possesion receiver this year for Boldin or Crabtree.

No one is acting like you dont like him. Your statements are just not true.

Note: If needed we should continue this discussion in the Jordan Matthews not in the Donte Moncrief thread.
I like the kids game, but we need someone that has better deep speed.

The only receiver in the draft with better deep speed than Moncrief is Brandin Cooks, and Cooks will be gone before 30.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
duplicate.
[ Edited by DeUh on Jan 4, 2015 at 12:20 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I like the kids game, but we need someone that has better deep speed.

The only receiver in the draft with better deep speed than Moncrief is Brandin Cooks, and Cooks will be gone before 30.

Not true.

Odell Beckham and Martavis Bryant have better deep speed. Also Bruce Ellington, Robert Herron and Damian Copeland are at least as fast as Moncrief if not faster.
[ Edited by DeUh on Apr 2, 2014 at 12:04 PM ]
I like Moncrief.. but sometimes I when I watch him I feel like hes a AJ Jenkins clone... maybe im just scared.
Originally posted by crake49:
Why is anyone even questioning the interest in Moncrief? The guy is a strong 6-3 receiver who ran a 4.4 at the combine and has run an unofficial 4.35.

i like Moncrief, but of course there's doubts. there's a reason that he hasn't been discussed in draft shows as a possible 1st rd prospect. there's also been plenty of physically imposing receivers that don't pan out in the NFL. just cuz he's 6-3 and runs a 4.4 doesn't mean he'll be great, although it's possible.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Can someone tell me the appeal of Moncrief? I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him but why is he so popular here?
Because we need the type WR that can beat SEA secondary. We need someone that can get off the jam and outrun them consistently. Moncrief seems to be physically capable to do both

Okay that sounds good. I never saw him play during college so Im just curious to what he is good at.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I like Moncrief.. but sometimes I when I watch him I feel like hes a AJ Jenkins clone... maybe im just scared.

huh? In what way?

Moncrief has like 2-3 inches on AJ and 20 lbs on him. He's way more physical of a player and not that much slower than Jenkins.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd cream my pants if we got Moncrief.
Not true.

Odell Beckham and Martavis Bryant have better deep speed. Also Bruce Ellington, Robert Herron and Damian Copeland are at least as fast as Moncrief if not faster.

I think we are getting Beckham. Him or Landry, Im liking our chances of snagging another LSU stud.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

huh? In what way?

Moncrief has like 2-3 inches on AJ and 20 lbs on him. He's way more physical of a player and not that much slower than Jenkins.

I honestly dont know why.. I cant put my finger on it. Just watching him tape reminds me of Jenkins' college tape.
Can you show that ? When there is no one in front of him I have NEVER seen him get chaught from behind. And I saw every Vanderbilt game last season and most in 2012.
Also Matthews takes a lot of pride in that and says it frequently. I have never heard a scout or expert say different.

Go to YouTube, hit the search tab, type in Jordan Matthews and click on any of the links. The videos speak for themselves. Living in Memphis our tv market for the SEC is either Vandy or Ole Miss, so I have seen plenty of both guys in several games. I am a fan of both guys, I just feel Moncrief better fits our needs than Matthews. Again, if we could get both, I'd be f**kin' ecstatic.

I think you misunderstand what Jordan Matthews means by saying "i never got caught from behind". Of course he got tackled from behind. I think there is not a single player that never got tackled from behind. BUT WHEN HE IS IN THE OPEN FIELD RUNNING WITH FULL SPEED DOWN THE SIDELINE WITH NO ONE IN FRONT OF HIM HE NEVER GOT CAUGHT FROM BEHIND. If you still disagree with that feel free to show the world the exact plays you are speaking about, cause Matthews is taking a lot of pride in that.

I think that if there were instances where that happened, it would make his YouTube highlights...don't you? I watched him play his entire career and he just doesn't get deep much. The YouTube videos speak for themselves. He is very good after the catch and makes some difficult catches, but I cannot remember but one single time where he had a long touchdown due to his speed. If we needed another possession reviever I would want Matthews, but we do not need another one. You guys need to quit actin like I am saying he sucks, I like the kids game, but we need someone that has better deep speed.

Instances where he is not getting caught while running full speed down the sideline with no one in front of him ??

Here is one example

Here is another example

Also you said he doesn go deep much ( which is not true as he caught 12 catches 20 yrds or deeper last season. Only Cooks (17), Benjamin (14) and Evans (18) caught more balls 20 yrds or deeper when talking about the big names.). But what has that to do with the statement that he has never been caught anyways ??

Normally receivers need a season to make the full transition to the NFL. So yes we should draft another possesion receiver this year for Boldin or Crabtree.

Note: If needed we should continue this discussion in the Jordan Matthews not in the Donte Moncrief thread.

So two examples out of a four year career against two of the worst defenses in the SEC means he never gets caught from behind?

okay if you says so, you didn't change my opinion one bit though.

Here is one example

Here is another example

So two examples out of a four year career against two of the worst defenses in the SEC means he never gets caught from behind?

okay if you says so, you didn't change my opinion one bit though.

I'm just going to throw my 2 cents in here...

Speaking from an Economics standpoint (actually a lot of comparisons can be made to how we draft and evaluate players to compliment our team to how economists fit new markets and proposals in to help the economy.)

IF we were to acquire Matthews, it would be at a higher cost than that of Moncrief. Almost every draft projection out there has Matthews going in front.
Gentlemen, economics is all about the trade-offs.
Getting Matthews would ideally cost us our 1st round pick. (He will not be there come pick 56 and so help me god if somebody thinks so)

^That would mean we go pick up Matthews, and the trade off is any 1st round defensive talent.
So we miss our chances on guys like Verrett, Fuller, Roby, Tuitt... They are out the window

IF we pick up a guy like Moncrief, it will likely cost us our second second round pick. Which means we can address some defensive concerns and still pick up quality defensive players ahead of Moncrief.

Drafting Moncrief will allow our draft to look something like,
1. Fuller, Roby, Verrett,Tuitt
2. Another safety, maybe a center or a D-lineman here
3. Moncrief

With that being said, it makes more sense for us to draft a guy like Moncrief and fill in some defensive talent around him. The difference between Matthews and Moncrief is not much. But luckily for us their projected draft stock is the biggest difference between the two.
Getting Matthews would cost a lot more than people think and in doing so he probably would become our ONLY rookie contributor.
Share 49ersWebzone