LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Donte Moncrief-WR-Ole Miss

What some people are missing is that 49ers are in position to take flyers on more than 2 receivers in this draft. I just hope they roll the dice on at least 2 WR's and 2 CB's.
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
What some people are missing is that 49ers are in position to take flyers on more than 2 receivers in this draft. I just hope they roll the dice on at least 2 WR's and 2 CB's.

Same here!
  • pfizz
I doubt we grab more than 1 receiver but who knows. Boldin, Crabtree, Patton and Osgood(STer but still) are all locks on the roster. That's already 4 with Baldwin in the mix.
Originally posted by pfizz:
I doubt we grab more than 1 receiver but who knows. Boldin, Crabtree, Patton and Osgood(STer but still) are all locks on the roster. That's already 4 with Baldwin in the mix.

And then there's Chuck Jacobs on the practice squad. Not that you want to be counting on a PS guy but Boldin, Crabtree, Patton and Osgood aren't going anywhere. That means you have a max of 2 spots for which you'll have at least 2 or 3 other guys in the mix before you even add a draft pick.
I don't see Osgood as a lock for the roster. He was huge on special teams but we all know that's his one contribution to the team. If they find a rookie who looks very promising and can offer them much more now and certainly long term on offense and is decent on special teams they'll take a spot over Osgood.

I know we put a premium on that unit and we should but Osgood is still old. Don't think he's guaranteed anything. Not to mention(hopefully this won't play a part in all of this) but injuries happen.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I have seen both of them play, Matthews is consistently caught from behind. Even his career highlight reel only has one breakaway touchdown. He has trouble getting separation, but makes up for it some by making contested catches. I just think we need a guy that gets open more than a possession reciever, which we have a couple of already. Maybe we get lucky and by some miracle get both.

Can you show that ? When there is no one in front of him I have NEVER seen him get chaught from behind. And I saw every Vanderbilt game last season and most in 2012.
Also Matthews takes a lot of pride in that and says it frequently. I have never heard a scout or expert say different.
I'd be thrilled with either Matthews or Moncrief in the 2nd. I just see Moncrief as someone with higher potential and Matthews as someone who is a much safer pick.

Normally I'd want us to draft a safer guy given our crap offensive coaching...seriously why does John Morton still have a job? However with Q and Crab being on the team someone like Moncrief can learn a ton from them. He's got good size and speed. He can learn from those guys and grab the best from each one of them. If he puts it together then he's gonna be a scary threat on the field.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Can you show that ? When there is no one in front of him I have NEVER seen him get chaught from behind. And I saw every Vanderbilt game last season and most in 2012.
Also Matthews takes a lot of pride in that and says it frequently. I have never heard a scout or expert say different.

Go to YouTube, hit the search tab, type in Jordan Matthews and click on any of the links. The videos speak for themselves. Living in Memphis our tv market for the SEC is either Vandy or Ole Miss, so I have seen plenty of both guys in several games. I am a fan of both guys, I just feel Moncrief better fits our needs than Matthews. Again, if we could get both, I'd be f**kin' ecstatic.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
triple post.
[ Edited by DeUh on Apr 1, 2014 at 7:52 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
triple post.
[ Edited by DeUh on Apr 1, 2014 at 7:52 AM ]

• DeUh
  • Veteran

Go to YouTube, hit the search tab, type in Jordan Matthews and click on any of the links. The videos speak for themselves. Living in Memphis our tv market for the SEC is either Vandy or Ole Miss, so I have seen plenty of both guys in several games. I am a fan of both guys, I just feel Moncrief better fits our needs than Matthews. Again, if we could get both, I'd be f**kin' ecstatic.

I think you misunderstand what Jordan Matthews means by saying "i never got caught from behind". Of course he got tackled from behind. I think there is not a single player that never got tackled from behind. BUT WHEN HE IS IN THE OPEN FIELD RUNNING WITH FULL SPEED DOWN THE SIDELINE WITH NO ONE IN FRONT OF HIM HE NEVER GOT CAUGHT FROM BEHIND. If you still disagree with that feel free to show the world the exact plays you are speaking about, cause Matthews is taking a lot of pride in that.
  • pfizz
ideally matthews is a flanker and moncrief is a split end. we need a split end.
Can someone tell me the appeal of Moncrief? I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him but why is he so popular here?

I think you misunderstand what Jordan Matthews means by saying "i never got caught from behind". Of course he got tackled from behind. I think there is not a single player that never got tackled from behind. BUT WHEN HE IS IN THE OPEN FIELD RUNNING WITH FULL SPEED DOWN THE SIDELINE WITH NO ONE IN FRONT OF HIM HE NEVER GOT CAUGHT FROM BEHIND. If you still disagree with that feel free to show the world the exact plays you are speaking about, cause Matthews is taking a lot of pride in that.

I think that if there were instances where that happened, it would make his YouTube highlights...don't you? I watched him play his entire career and he just doesn't get deep much. The YouTube videos speak for themselves. He is very good after the catch and makes some difficult catches, but I cannot remember but one single time where he had a long touchdown due to his speed. If we needed another possession reviever I would want Matthews, but we do not need another one. You guys need to quit actin like I am saying he sucks, I like the kids game, but we need someone that has better deep speed.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Apr 2, 2014 at 4:17 AM ]
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Can someone tell me the appeal of Moncrief? I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him but why is he so popular here?
Because we need the type WR that can beat SEA secondary. We need someone that can get off the jam and outrun them consistently. Moncrief seems to be physically capable to do both
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 2, 2014 at 6:29 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone