LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 181 users in the forums

Donte Moncrief-WR-Ole Miss

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DeUh:
I have watched every Ole Miss game and I´m fully aware that Wallace is bad. But there were definitely plays he did not get seperation. Saying that Moncrief got seperation constantly is a little to much hype for me.

But my biggest dislike I have is that he rarely catches contested passes. He has good hands. But at times it just seemed like the DB wanted the ball more than Moncrief.

Saying rarely is more than a bit of hyperbole. I've seen him regularly making contested catches in traffic. Does he look focus at times or become passive, sure, but I don't see that translating to him "rarely" making contested catches.

Well when saying that he rarely catches contested passes is more than a bit of hyperbole then saying he constantly gets open is more than a bit of hyperbole as well.

Also I would hope that over his whole college career he made a few tough catches. But posting a bunch of photos of him doing so does not change the fact that he is just not doing them with consistency.

And when you also take his fumble problems into consideration I have some serious doubts about his hands.
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 30, 2014 at 6:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
probably just me but I don't see that at all from DM. matter of fact what i've seen from Corey Lemonier's highlights is that one big jolt of a hit on DM and he fumbles. haven't seen JM cough up the ball.

I know Matthews fumbled inside the 10 yard line against Tennessee this year.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Well when saying that he rarely catches contested passes is more than a bit of hyperbole then saying he constantly gets open is more than a bit of hyperbole as well.

Also I would hope that over his whole college career he made a few tough catches. But posting a bunch of photos of him doing so does not change the fact that he is just not doing them with consistency.

And when you also take his fumble problems into consideration I have some serious doubts about his hands.

Constantly and consistently are different words with different definitions.

Unless I missed something, you misread his post.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Did you watch with your eyes open or closed? You can definitely criticize Moncrief for letting passes get into his body at times, you can criticize him for not running the best routes at times, but in terms of gaining separation, he is simply outstanding in that aspect, from stutter steps to double moves, he simply finds ways to consistently get open and if QB wasn't a potato, his numbers would be far improved.

Moncrief is a guy I see being a far better NFL player than college player. He shows the ability to get open consistently and he has fairly reliable hands. Without overthinking the WR position, that's essentially the two main things you want to see from a receiver. He's got the ability to beat a defense vertically, he's also a guy who tends to use his body leverage well to go up and get passes in the air. All these traits make him look like a solid #2 WR at the NFL level at worst.

I�m with you on those points 100 percent !

I think Phoenix is on point that Moncrief can create seperation, not constantly, but he is definitely able to.

I watched and he did gain seperation against Alabama's freshman CB and in zone coverage or if the secondary blew the coverage,but he did not get seperation consitantly against man coverage. I really just see him as another possession receiver at the pro level and we have enough them already .
  • Andra
  • Veteran
I really don't think he is ready to catch one of Kaps fastballs, they will just keep on bouncing off his pads
Originally posted by Andra:
Can somebody explan the zones fascination with moncrief? Now I am no talent scout but I did watch every game tape that draft breakdown had for him in the 2013 season and this is what I saw

Dropped passes
Catches to many passes to the body not the hands
Rarely catches jump balls or contested passes
The times he seem to get separation are when the secondary makes a mistake
Average at best blocker
Does not get open with his route running ability or lack of
I did notice that he looked a lot better finding the gaps in zone coverage

IMO 3rd round pick at best, am I missing something ?

If we drafted him in the 3rd, I'll say that's a steal. I haven't seen a single mock that has he going in the first. He's always been one of the two second round picks or the first 3rd round pick. To me, that's a good spot to draft him.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
If we drafted him in the 3rd, I'll say that's a steal. I haven't seen a single mock that has he going in the first. He's always been one of the two second round picks or the first 3rd round pick. To me, that's a good spot to draft him.

If some other team drafted him in the 3rd round I would be happier because from what I see he is another possession receiver not what we need right now
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Constantly and consistently are different words with different definitions.

Unless I missed something, you misread his post.

Touche.

I completely misread his post. Apologies to Phoenix49ers for starting this nonsense.
[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 11, 2015 at 9:52 PM ]
Lol @ him being a possession reciever...you guys are funny. Do you guys even understand the concept? Dude is not a possession reciever, he consistently broke long ones. Wanna see a possession reciever, check out Jordan Matthews, he's one of the best ones in the draft. A couple of you guys seem to not understand the term.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Lol @ him being a possession reciever...you guys are funny. Do you guys even understand the concept? Dude is not a possession reciever, he consistently broke long ones. Wanna see a possession reciever, check out Jordan Matthews, he's one of the best ones in the draft. A couple of you guys seem to not understand the term.

This is one reason many want Moncrief over Matthews, but I tend to want both types. We need more than four good WRs competing for time, so there is room for at least three draft picks to compete--Matthews, Moncrief and a KR/WR in the late rounds would be a nice set of draftees. So, with six picks in the top 100 I don't see why they can't use two for WRs and two for CBs...unless they trade up for ready to start guys.

Consistently broke long ones?...
In the last 2 seasons
Matthews 28 catches of 25+ yards
Moncreif 24 catches of 25+ yards

Btw if you want to do the last 3 years
Matthews 41 catches of 25+ yards
Moncreif 30 catches of 25+ yards

And before Matthews had to become Mr. Everything for Vandy, he did have an 18+ yards per completion average. Just in case you didn't know
[ Edited by solidg2000 on Mar 31, 2014 at 8:16 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

This is one reason many want Moncrief over Matthews, but I tend to want both types. We need more than four good WRs competing for time, so there is room for at least three draft picks to compete--Matthews, Moncrief and a KR/WR in the late rounds would be a nice set of draftees. So, with six picks in the top 100 I don't see why they can't use two for WRs and two for CBs...unless they trade up for ready to start guys.

My dream draft would have both Moncrief and Matthews for sure, Dri Archer would be great for a speed guy. Seeing as how Culliver went full retard knucklhead we will likely have to draft a db first round (hopefully Fuller), our chances of getting both seem low.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
In the last 2 seasons

And before Matthews had to become Mr. Everything for Vandy, he did have an 18+ yards per completion average. Just in case you didn't know

I have seen both of them play, Matthews is consistently caught from behind. Even his career highlight reel only has one breakaway touchdown. He has trouble getting separation, but makes up for it some by making contested catches. I just think we need a guy that gets open more than a possession reciever, which we have a couple of already. Maybe we get lucky and by some miracle get both.
Originally posted by solidg2000:

In the last 2 seasons

Without looking up targets, I'm guess Matthews saw way more passes thrown his way. Both guys would fit with the 49ers nicely but Moncrief is way more of a deep threat and Matthews is more of the possession receiver.
Originally posted by Andra:
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:

If some other team drafted him in the 3rd round I would be happier because from what I see he is another possession receiver not what we need right now

And you will be looking at that other team wondering why the 49ers didn't draft him. He's more athletic, faster, and quicker than Matthews. Don't get me wrong, Matthews is a hell of a prospect but he's more of the possession receiver type than Moncrief. The biggest issue I've seen from Moncrief is bodying the ball, not the ability to separate or being able to blow the top off the defense.
Share 49ersWebzone