There are 164 users in the forums

Donte Moncrief-WR-Ole Miss

Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Yes and he has 20 ish body catches in that highlight
No ones said he's not fast. Hell Ricardo Lockett is big, strong, and fast, how's that worked out?
I know they have different circumstances but I stand by my criticisms
I see Robert Meachem. I even like the Mario Manningham
He doesn't play big or strong, and when he's pressed he struggles

If you see that, you might need your eyes checked bro.

At about 4:40 they show some college highlights
Can't find many now, they've all been taken down I guess
Coming out of college as a 1st round pick, Meachem was a vertical threat with similar size and speed.
Hell just look at the cal vs ten 2006 game online, Meachem put up 180 on them and cal was ranked #9 at the time

Josh Gordon gets thrown out a lot, but Gordon's a 4.50 guy who uses his body and strength to get open.
He does look faster once he has the ball in his hands. But his style, body frame, physically, and toughness remind me of someone else not Moncreif

From a lifelong Vol fan, you are seeing only what you want to. Meachem was never as strong as Moncrief. In fact, Matthews reminds me more of Meachem. I got nothing against Matthews, I just think Moncrief fits our needs better.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
From a lifelong Vol fan, you are seeing only what you want to. Meachem was never as strong as Moncrief. In fact, Matthews reminds me more of Meachem. I got nothing against Matthews, I just think Moncrief fits our needs better.

It's not an insult to be compared to Meachem.
And from what I've seen, idk where this Moncreif strength/physical ness comes from, I haven't seen it
If someone can show me a game/or games where he displays strength/physicality

Matthews is def stronger then Moncreif
Donte Moncrief has the Higher Ceiling then Mathews but they are both nice prospects that I would be very happy for the 49ers to have.
Moncrief's got 7 pounds on Meachem and really beats him out athletically as well. Significantly better vertical and broad jumps. He also has more consistency because Meachem was a 1 year wonder in college. It's not a terrible comparison but it really doesn't going deeper than saying this guy was 6'2 215 ran a 4.40 as well and he didn't pan out.

We can do that with every single prospect out there.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 26, 2014 at 6:56 PM ]
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Donte Moncrief has the Higher Ceiling then Mathews but they are both nice prospects that I would be very happy for the 49ers to have.

probably just me but I don't see that at all from DM. matter of fact what i've seen from Corey Lemonier's highlights is that one big jolt of a hit on DM and he fumbles. haven't seen JM cough up the ball.
It's not an insult to be compared to Meachem.
And from what I've seen, idk where this Moncreif strength/physical ness comes from, I haven't seen it
If someone can show me a game/or games where he displays strength/physicality

Matthews is def stronger then Moncreif

Lower body explosiveness.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Tape vs LSU 2013

[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 11, 2015 at 8:55 PM ]
The area where Moncrief has Matthews beat is quite apparent when you watch the game film on each. Moncrief consistently beats his defender where most every catch from Matthews is contested. Just the eye test shows that Moncrief is better suited for what we need. They played against the same competition, yet Moncrief scored only 4 fewer touchdowns in a whole season less worth of games, with a garbage qb. To me they are both great, but Moncrief just looks like the better downfield threat. If we needed a third possession receiver I'd want Matthews over him, but we don't. Either way, you can't go wrong with either.
Perhaps this has already been said somewhere in this 27 page thread, but after watching some highlights of Moncrief, his size, body type, and style of play remind me a lot of the Charger's rookie and former golden bear Keenan Allen. He was a third round pick and turned out to have one of the best years of any rookie in 2013.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Can somebody explan the zones fascination with moncrief? Now I am no talent scout but I did watch every game tape that draft breakdown had for him in the 2013 season and this is what I saw

Dropped passes
Catches to many passes to the body not the hands
Rarely catches jump balls or contested passes
The times he seem to get separation are when the secondary makes a mistake
Average at best blocker
Does not get open with his route running ability or lack of
I did notice that he looked a lot better finding the gaps in zone coverage

IMO 3rd round pick at best, am I missing something ?

Originally posted by Andra:
Can somebody explan the zones fascination with moncrief? Now I am no talent scout but I did watch every game tape that draft breakdown had for him in the 2013 season and this is what I saw

Dropped passes
Catches to many passes to the body not the hands
Rarely catches jump balls or contested passes
The times he seem to get separation are when the secondary makes a mistake
Average at best blocker
Does not get open with his route running ability or lack of
I did notice that he looked a lot better finding the gaps in zone coverage

IMO 3rd round pick at best, am I missing something ?

Did you watch with your eyes open or closed? You can definitely criticize Moncrief for letting passes get into his body at times, you can criticize him for not running the best routes at times, but in terms of gaining separation, he is simply outstanding in that aspect, from stutter steps to double moves, he simply finds ways to consistently get open and if QB wasn't a potato, his numbers would be far improved.

Moncrief is a guy I see being a far better NFL player than college player. He shows the ability to get open consistently and he has fairly reliable hands. Without overthinking the WR position, that's essentially the two main things you want to see from a receiver. He's got the ability to beat a defense vertically, he's also a guy who tends to use his body leverage well to go up and get passes in the air. All these traits make him look like a solid #2 WR at the NFL level at worst.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 30, 2014 at 5:11 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Tape vs Arkansas 2013

[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 11, 2015 at 8:57 PM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:
I´m with you on those points 100 percent !

I think Phoenix is on point that Moncrief can create seperation, not constantly, but he is definitely able to.

If you have watched Ole Miss games, the amount of time that Wallace either overthrew or underthrew Moncrief boggles the mind. He regularly got open and the ball was placed out of his reach or simply was never sent his way. When looking at a receiver, my #1 qualification is "can he get open consistently?" Moncrief has shown that ability. That to me is the biggest concern, if you have a phenomenally talented wide receiver who struggles to get separation, he's not going anywhere at the next level.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I´m with you on those points 100 percent !

I think Phoenix is on point that Moncrief can create seperation, not constantly, but he is definitely able to.

If you have watched Ole Miss games, the amount of time that Wallace either overthrew or underthrew Moncrief boggles the mind. He regularly got open and the ball was placed out of his reach or simply was never sent his way. When looking at a receiver, my #1 qualification is "can he get open consistently?" Moncrief has shown that ability. That to me is the biggest concern, if you have a phenomenally talented wide receiver who struggles to get separation, he's not going anywhere at the next level.

I have watched every Ole Miss game and I´m fully aware that Wallace is bad. But there were definitely plays he did not get seperation. Saying that Moncrief got seperation constantly is a little to much hype for me.

But my biggest dislike I have is that he rarely catches contested passes. He has good hands. But at times it just seemed like the DB wanted the ball more than Moncrief.
I have watched every Ole Miss game and I´m fully aware that Wallace is bad. But there were definitely plays he did not get seperation. Saying that Moncrief got seperation constantly is a little to much hype for me.

But my biggest dislike I have is that he rarely catches contested passes. He has good hands. But at times it just seemed like the DB wanted the ball more than Moncrief.

Saying rarely is more than a bit of hyperbole. I've seen him regularly making contested catches in traffic. Does he look focus at times or become passive, sure, but I don't see that translating to him "rarely" making contested catches.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 30, 2014 at 5:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone