There are 228 users in the forums

Donte Moncrief-WR-Ole Miss

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If you look at the collective prospect board, this draft is likely to see a downright shocking amount of first round talents fall into the 2nd round.

We're going to be sitting here with players going into the 3rd and 4th that many predicted there was no chance of getting there.

I agree that the depth in this draft is special. I simy don't see another player that combines the traits we appear to need in as complete a package as Moncrief. If HarBaalke decide they want him, they shouldn't roll the dice on him slipping. The depth through the rest of the draft should allow us to to get impressive talent at other positions (CB) through our remaining 4-5 top 100 picks.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
If you look at the collective prospect board, this draft is likely to see a downright shocking amount of first round talents fall into the 2nd round.

We're going to be sitting here with players going into the 3rd and 4th that many predicted there was no chance of getting there.

I agree that the depth in this draft is special. I simy don't see another player that combines the traits we appear to need in as complete a package as Moncrief. If HarBaalke decide they want him, they shouldn't roll the dice on him slipping. The depth through the rest of the draft should allow us to to get impressive talent at other positions (CB) through our remaining 4-5 top 100 picks.

Agreed. We should not have to force anything when it comes to CB or WR since those are the deepest positions in this draft. I would say from a depth standpoint, the deepest positions are as follows:

1. WR
2. CB
3. Pass-Rusher

This class is top-heavy at the OL and DL positions. DL in particular. I did not like what I saw at all in footage from the majority of the projected 3rd round and later linemen. I hope a good one falls to us and we make the right call.

Which is why I'm not really a fan of trading up in the 1st, but I am a fan of them moving up into the 3rd round or even adding an extra 2nd rounder, so much talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, its pretty nuts.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Which is why I'm not really a fan of trading up in the 1st, but I am a fan of them moving up into the 3rd round or even adding an extra 2nd rounder, so much talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, its pretty nuts.
Exactly and our first rounder should be a player we most benefit from having the fifth year option. We will probably draft a DB first round or trade back if sufficient talent falls. All I know is I can't wait!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Exactly and our first rounder should be a player we most benefit from having the fifth year option. We will probably draft a DB first round or trade back if sufficient talent falls. All I know is I can't wait!
They picked a hell of a year to push the draft date back. It's killing me

Exactly what I've been saying for as long as I've been on this board! Seriously though, we've all tried the draft machines and called BS when we've drafted a killer team that seemed like an impossible haul. But, what that points out in its Madden-like way, IS the absolute depth of this draft. Sit tight, Niners, and feed.
Originally posted by Murphys1:
Exactly what I've been saying for as long as I've been on this board! Seriously though, we've all tried the draft machines and called BS when we've drafted a killer team that seemed like an impossible haul. But, what that points out in its Madden-like way, IS the absolute depth of this draft. Sit tight, Niners, and feed.

I don't know about everyone else, but I've been killing mock drafts on fanspeak because some players regularly fall way farther than they should realistically so I target certain players each round and refresh the page until they fall to my pick. Justin Gilbert doesn't fall to 30 because the draft is really top heavy - he falls to 30 because there are some issues with how the application is programmed. The draft is deep, but some of the mock drafts from fanspeak have a 0% chance of happening. I don't know if Dri Archer is still around in the 6th or 7th rounds, but there are other players that are very underrated on Fanspeak's big board and then the faulty simulator causes them to drop much further than that.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by Murphys1:

I don't know about everyone else, but I've been killing mock drafts on fanspeak because some players regularly fall way farther than they should realistically so I target certain players each round and refresh the page until they fall to my pick. Justin Gilbert doesn't fall to 30 because the draft is really top heavy - he falls to 30 because there are some issues with how the application is programmed. The draft is deep, but some of the mock drafts from fanspeak have a 0% chance of happening. I don't know if Dri Archer is still around in the 6th or 7th rounds, but there are other players that are very underrated on Fanspeak's big board and then the faulty simulator causes them to drop much further than that.

Yeah, I think their algorithm is too simple. Top remaining need and player rating are addressed, with some degree of variation, but type of player (speed WR vs possession) doesn't seem to factor in, and the balance between BPA and positions of need seems off, as does the valuation of some positions over others. JMO, anyway.
Agreed. We should not have to force anything when it comes to CB or WR since those are the deepest positions in this draft. I would say from a depth standpoint, the deepest positions are as follows:

1. WR
2. CB
3. Pass-Rusher

This class is top-heavy at the OL and DL positions. DL in particular. I did not like what I saw at all in footage from the majority of the projected 3rd round and later linemen. I hope a good one falls to us and we make the right call.

I see these posts often.. and that's fine from a fan's perspective.. but our scouts/FO/coaches will only have a certain number of these deep positional players circled as targets. It's fun to imagine that we would "just take the next best player at that position"... but it doesn't work that way. Some that we perceive as great/good/worthy will already be crossed off SF's lists. There could be a total of 6 wideouts (for example) that SF even regards in the first 2 rounds.

Not really trying to be argumentative.. just sayin...

As for Moncrief, he has steadily moved up over the last few weeks for me. There's something about him that I really like. I am sure fans will HATE me saying this... as it may be cliche or dramatic or blasphemous... but Moncrief reminds me more of Jerry Rice than any other prospect in this draft. Maybe they just run the same... I'm sure Moncrief is faster straight-line and Rice had the better hands.. but he sure does remind me JR.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I see these posts often.. and that's fine from a fan's perspective.. but our scouts/FO/coaches will only have a certain number of these deep positional players circled as targets. It's fun to imagine that we would "just take the next best player at that position"... but it doesn't work that way. Some that we perceive as great/good/worthy will already be crossed off SF's lists. There could be a total of 6 wideouts (for example) that SF even regards in the first 2 rounds.

Not really trying to be argumentative.. just sayin...

As for Moncrief, he has steadily moved up over the last few weeks for me. There's something about him that I really like. I am sure fans will HATE me saying this... as it may be cliche or dramatic or blasphemous... but Moncrief reminds me more of Jerry Rice than any other prospect in this draft. Maybe they just run the same... I'm sure Moncrief is faster straight-line and Rice had the better hands.. but he sure does remind me JR.

I don't see it, but I still really like the kid. I think JR was more precise, and Moncrief is more sudden. JR definitely has him on hands, routes, production, fitness, and a whole bunch of categories I can't think of right now. JR would bludgeon you to deaath with his fitness by refusing to give you a play off, all game long, then he'd own you at crunch time. I don't see anything resembling that consistency from Moncrief, but I see toughness, acceleration, speed, size and strength, and we can use those. Not expecting HOF, though

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I don't see it, but I still really like the kid. I think JR was more precise, and Moncrief is more sudden. JR definitely has him on hands, routes, production, fitness, and a whole bunch of categories I can't think of right now. JR would bludgeon you to deaath with his fitness by refusing to give you a play off, all game long, then he'd own you at crunch time. I don't see anything resembling that consistency from Moncrief, but I see toughness, acceleration, speed, size and strength, and we can use those. Not expecting HOF, though

well keep in mind... JR had many years to refine his skills and technique. We not talking bout a rookie vs seasoned vet... mo like rookie Moncrief VS rookie Rice.
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Mar 24, 2014 at 9:45 AM ]

What about trading down from # 30 into the early second round? The QB's in this draft have pretty much lost their luster as top 10 picks, but the Texans, Jaguars, Browns, Raiders, and Vikings all still need one. If Manziel's Pro Day doesn't go smoothly this week, at least a couple of those teams will be waiting till the top of the 2nd round to pickup their QB of the future.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Highlight Tape

[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 11, 2015 at 8:50 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

What about trading down from # 30 into the early second round? The QB's in this draft have pretty much lost their luster as top 10 picks, but the Texans, Jaguars, Browns, Raiders, and Vikings all still need one. If Manziel's Pro Day doesn't go smoothly this week, at least a couple of those teams will be waiting till the top of the 2nd round to pickup their QB of the future.

If we can't get one of the guys we want in the first, I can see us trading down. But I don't know how likely it will be because Baalke is the type to jump on a player when he has the chance.
In all seriousness, go watch some college film on Josh Gordon, then Donte Moncrief...very similar. I feel that if we can get our db @ 30, we might need to trade up to get Moncrief earlier in the second. I'd honestly be okay with using 30 on Mr Moncrief.
Share 49ersWebzone