LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Donte Moncrief-WR-Ole Miss

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Agreed, though I'm leaning towards Cooks as the pick, which means we'll need to trade up for him.

I share the sentiment, but I remain tentative.

Would Baalke and company even consider throwing a future pick into a trade? Should they consider this?

I am convinced that the moves we make on a wide receiver or wide receivers have to be consensus moves--the result of a cooperative collaborative effort and understanding.

I don't think they'd need to. I see Cooks going somewhere in the 20's, and that should only cost a 3rd rounder....2nd rounder at the absolute most if they want to get in to the teens.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I think he's just playing Devil's advocate, which makes sense. I'm sold on Moncrief myself based on everything I've seen and I'm convinced he's a 1st round talent (though will likely go anywhere from 40-55th overall), but it never hurts to have a critic in the room to make sure you hear all sides of the argument.
Rarara. ;)

Have you emtpied your inbox yet?

Yes sir, I have.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Ole Miss Pro Day: WR Moncrief impresses during drills

http://lindyssports.com/nfl/article/headline/ole-miss-pro-day-wr-moncrief-impresses-during-drills/189366
Originally posted by Murphys1:
You know, I get why everyone wants two different types of receivers and all, but when I think of lining up at DB, and having 3 Crabtrees across the line from me, or three Boldins, well, that's a big problem, too. You can't double them all. Boldin, Crabtree and a guy like Matthews, if he's as good as I think he'll be, fast and sure handed and physical..well, how do you cover these three. Maybe we don't hit the bomb much, but down the field we go. Hard to stop.

The issue is that none of those guys really have teams scared to the point of where they're going to keep safeties deep. The whole premise of having a guy who can stretch a defense vertically and beat you all the way downfield is that it manipulates how a team defends you. If you have someone that can take a step on your cornerback and be gone, you can't bring your free safety up to cheat in coverage and you feel a lot less comfortable keeping your strong safety way up in the box.

The more you can spread a defense out, the more you can keep those safeties back, the more it opens up the run game for you.

49ers have already have Crabtree, Boldin and Patton. That is 3 possession receivers on the roster. They don't have anyone at receiver who has that ability to be the deep threat that makes defense's adjust their plans.
He is my draft crush and if we dont draft him im gonna start a petition to get Baalke fired, i will also create a Fire Baalke thread in NT
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The issue is that none of those guys really have teams scared to the point of where they're going to keep safeties deep. The whole premise of having a guy who can stretch a defense vertically and beat you all the way downfield is that it manipulates how a team defends you. If you have someone that can take a step on your cornerback and be gone, you can't bring your free safety up to cheat in coverage and you feel a lot less comfortable keeping your strong safety way up in the box.

The more you can spread a defense out, the more you can keep those safeties back, the more it opens up the run game for you.

49ers have already have Crabtree, Boldin and Patton. That is 3 possession receivers on the roster. They don't have anyone at receiver who has that ability to be the deep threat that makes defense's adjust their plans.

But even when the niners did have a speed WR who can take it to the house on one play, the niners never used him. So why do you think it'll automatically change now? Ted Ginn wasn't used at all as the vertical threat and that's all he has. Yet in Carolina he had a ok season doing just that. It's not about personnel, it's about scheme. And the problem we had is if one gets injured we have no one to step in and move the chains. We don't throw for the home run very often
Originally posted by solidg2000:

But even when the niners did have a speed WR who can take it to the house on one play, the niners never used him. So why do you think it'll automatically change now? Ted Ginn wasn't used at all as the vertical threat and that's all he has. Yet in Carolina he had a ok season doing just that. It's not about personnel, it's about scheme. And the problem we had is if one gets injured we have no one to step in and move the chains. We don't throw for the home run very often

Clearly HaRom didn't trust Ginn as a WR or they would've used him more.
Originally posted by solidg2000:

Answer-Ted Ginn is a lousy receiver. Carolina has worse receivers than the 49ers do, they just do a better job of incorporating more guys into the offense. The 49ers at times showed a willingness to throw it deep, but beyond VD, who did they have to throw it deep to?

In 2012, Kaepernick led the NFL in passer rating for throws over 20 yards. He's certainly got the ability and the arm, he just needs more targets to chuck it to downfield.
Originally posted by valrod33:
He is my draft crush and if we dont draft him im gonna start a petition to get Baalke fired, i will also create a Fire Baalke thread in NT

Haven't there been about three of those already? Drafting AJJ had to spawn at least one.
Answer-Ted Ginn is a lousy receiver. Carolina has worse receivers than the 49ers do, they just do a better job of incorporating more guys into the offense. The 49ers at times showed a willingness to throw it deep, but beyond VD, who did they have to throw it deep to?

In 2012, Kaepernick led the NFL in passer rating for throws over 20 yards. He's certainly got the ability and the arm, he just needs more targets to chuck it to downfield.

I would say it dropped because Crabtree was out for most of the year. He did have 15 20+ catches in 2012

Originally posted by buck:
Ole Miss Pro Day: WR Moncrief impresses during drills

http://lindyssports.com/nfl/article/headline/ole-miss-pro-day-wr-moncrief-impresses-during-drills/189366

Good stuff
I tend to think our wide receiver woes are extremely overstated. We were 30th in passing last year. Sounds terrible on paper but then you see that we were 7th in YPA, 9th in qb rating and you realize a lot of that is just our offense. An offense that did not have a healthy Crabtree last year either.

Would you really put a first round value on a slot receiver for a team that runs the fewest amount of multi receiver sets in the NFL? Personally I'd just be fine with Moncrief for insurance in case Crabs leaves or when Boldin retires.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I tend to think our wide receiver woes are extremely overstated. We were 30th in passing last year. Sounds terrible on paper but then you see that we were 7th in YPA, 9th in qb rating and you realize a lot of that is just our offense. An offense that did not have a healthy Crabtree last year either.

Would you really put a first round value on a slot receiver for a team that runs the fewest amount of multi receiver sets in the NFL? Personally I'd just be fine with Moncrief for insurance in case Crabs leaves or when Boldin retires.

Here's what we don't know: Did they run few multi-receiver sets because that's not part of their arsenal, or because they didn't have a 3rd WR they felt would be effective in the slot? Clearly, once Crabby and Patton got healthy, we saw more 3 WR sets, especially when we were behind.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

I tend to agree
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Draft both him and Beckham in the 2nd and Justin Gilbert in the first.

THIS!!
Share 49ersWebzone