LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

Donte Moncrief-WR-Ole Miss

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Now I understand what's at the root of your opposition to the guy.

Him hating on Moncrief as much as he does makes me want the 49ers to take him in the 2nd round even more just to see him be irate over it.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 3, 2014 at 10:33 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Three wide receivers might be considered overkill.

Next year we would be deep and that would give some protection against injury.

Boldin/Matthews--Matthews gives possession with good speed.
Crabtree/Moncrief--Moncrief has speed can take off the top and tough can go across the middle.
Patton/Janis--slot receiver--excellent short area quickness and fast

The draft is not just for the upcoming season. In two years, Crabtree is a FA and Boldin is one year older.

If the worst came to pass, we would still have Patton, Matthews, Moncrief, and Janis.

I've been advocating for three WR being selected for two reasons, 1) all three are unlikely to make it as rookies and having numbers ups the odds that one will be special, and 2) injuries to Crabtree, Manningham and Patton have really limited the passing game over the last three years...having three young, big, strong WRs would lend some much needed depth. Then if Crabtree plays hard ball next year, the team will still have a good number of young guys on the roster as known qualities.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

That's zone lol
But realistically Sherman would still line up vs Crabtree
Now I understand what's at the root of your opposition to the guy.

He's been sipping on that Haterade about Moncrief for awhile. I'd be even happier to see the 49ers take him in the 2nd round just to see this guy cry about it for awhile.

I think he's just playing Devil's advocate, which makes sense. I'm sold on Moncrief myself based on everything I've seen and I'm convinced he's a 1st round talent (though will likely go anywhere from 40-55th overall), but it never hurts to have a critic in the room to make sure you hear all sides of the argument.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 3, 2014 at 10:36 PM ]
I think he's just playing Devil's advocate, which makes sense. I'm sold on Moncrief myself based on everything I've seen and I'm convinced he's a 1st round talent (though will likely go in the mid-2nd), but it never hurts to have a critic in the room to make sure you hear all sides of the argument.

Which is fine if you're balanced, but he seems to be more a fan of Matthews, pushing down Moncrief to try and strengthen his argument. I don't see the issue with talking about a player's weaknesses but he's gone a bit over the top with Moncrief. He's a very good prospect that is definitely in the 2nd round range right now and in the conversation as one of the best WR's in this draft.

There's probably 7 or 8 different WR's in this draft I could be content with, I just don't see as big of a gap between Matthews and Moncrief or Cooks and Moncrief as some others.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 3, 2014 at 10:38 PM ]
I think he's just playing Devil's advocate, which makes sense. I'm sold on Moncrief myself based on everything I've seen and I'm convinced he's a 1st round talent (though will likely go in the mid-2nd), but it never hurts to have a critic in the room to make sure you hear all sides of the argument.

Which is fine if you're balanced, but he seems to be more a fan of Matthews, pushing down Moncrief to try and strengthen his argument. I don't see the issue with talking about a player's weaknesses but he's gone a bit over the top with Moncrief. He's a very good prospect that is definitely in the 2nd round range right now and in the conversation as one of the best WR's in this draft.

There's probably 7 or 8 different WR's in this draft I could be content with, I just don't see as big of a gap between Matthews and Moncrief or Cooks and Moncrief as some others.

Agreed, though I'm leaning towards Cooks as the pick, which means we'll need to trade up for him.
Do I like Matthews more? Hell yes I do. Why hide it. Dude has great hands, a good route runner, and the family work ethic.
His weakness was speed concerns.

He was super productive in the SEC, and the only WR threat for Vandy and he did it with a terrible QB every year. Yet he still performed!

Moncreif is a big fast WR. With reliable hands, sometimes he lets the ball get to his chest but not enough to make it a huge deal. Big play waiting to happen.
Weakness is route running, his bread and butter was screen, hitch, hitch and go, and go routes. Sprinkle in a post route when he's played off man.
Didn't really run many other routes, which is a concern.
Production is also a concern. He had all the tools to put up big numbers and had decent options around him to help him out. So why didn't he put up better numbers.
Easy answer is QB, but why where his targets going elsewhere?

Overall if Moncreif produced more I'd have no problem with him in the 2nd. He was a bit disappointing production wise but a great prospect to pick up and develop in the 3rd or later
[ Edited by solidg2000 on Mar 3, 2014 at 11:19 PM ]
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Do I like Matthews more? Hell yes I do. Why hide it. Dude has great hands, a good route runner, and the family work ethic.
His weakness was speed concerns.

He was super productive in the SEC, and the only WR threat for Vandy and he did it with a terrible QB every year. Yet he still performed!

Moncreif is a big fast WR. With reliable hands, sometimes he lets the ball get to his chest but not enough to make it a huge deal. Big play waiting to happen.
Weakness is route running, his bread and butter was screen, hitch, hitch and go, and go routes. Sprinkle in a post route when he's played off man.
Didn't really run many other routes, which is a concern.
Production is also a concern. He had all the tools to put up big numbers and had decent options around him to help him out. So why didn't he put up better numbers.
Easy answer is QB, but why where his targets going elsewhere?

Overall if Moncreif produced more I'd have no problem with him in the 2nd. He was a bit disappointing production wise but a great prospect to pick up and develop in the 3rd or later

I've said this before and I believe the numbers proved it out (as posted before). Matthews and Moncrief are very different types of WRs, so it's not a simple apples-to-apples comparison. Moncrief is more explosive, with a higher YPC average and more TDs per reception...he's your deep threat that forces teams to shade their safety over to. Matthews is the gritty, grinding move-the-chains guy who is athletic enough to get yards after the catch, but who makes his living within 5-10 yards of the LOS.

If I had to compare the two:

Moncrief=Marvin Harrison
Matthews=Reggie Wayne

Not exactly or in all ways (and more comparing styles than actual historical production), but close enough to paint the picture.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
I've said this before and I believe the numbers proved it out (as posted before). Matthews and Moncrief are very different types of WRs, so it's not a simple apples-to-apples comparison. Moncrief is more explosive, with a higher YPC average and more TDs per reception...he's your deep threat that forces teams to shade their safety over to. Matthews is the gritty, grinding move-the-chains guy who is athletic enough to get yards after the catch, but who makes his living within 5-10 yards of the LOS.

If I had to compare the two:

Moncrief=Marvin Harrison
Matthews=Reggie Wayne

Not exactly or in all ways (and more comparing styles than actual historical production), but close enough to paint the picture.

This.

Dont understand where the comparisons come from. I think it comes down to personal preference and who do you think is the better fit.
Matthews is the typical west coast possesion reciever. Moncrief is more of a deep threat.
Matthews would provide talented depth and could replace Boldin or Crabtree in a year or two. The downside is that unless someone goes down he will spent the year on the bench.
With Moncrief on the otherhand we would have a deep threat and Boldin could play his more natural position in the slot.

I personally lean towards Matthews but i think both are tremendous talents and will be productive at the next level.
Originally posted by Butter:
Where would u draft him? I think he'll be gone by the late 2nd

Trade up from the KC pick to Pick 15 in the 2nd and draft him there.

That's kind of what I was thinking too.

I think he's just playing Devil's advocate, which makes sense. I'm sold on Moncrief myself based on everything I've seen and I'm convinced he's a 1st round talent (though will likely go anywhere from 40-55th overall), but it never hurts to have a critic in the room to make sure you hear all sides of the argument.
Rarara. ;)

Have you emtpied your inbox yet?
You know, I get why everyone wants two different types of receivers and all, but when I think of lining up at DB, and having 3 Crabtrees across the line from me, or three Boldins, well, that's a big problem, too. You can't double them all. Boldin, Crabtree and a guy like Matthews, if he's as good as I think he'll be, fast and sure handed and physical..well, how do you cover these three. Maybe we don't hit the bomb much, but down the field we go. Hard to stop.
Been warming up more to Moncrief. I still wouldn't want him at the end of rd 1.. but would be happy if we selected him in rd 2. I am starting to think he goes in the 40's... but with this WR class.. I'd stay put with the late 2nds vs move up for him.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Agreed, though I'm leaning towards Cooks as the pick, which means we'll need to trade up for him.

I share the sentiment, but I remain tentative.

Would Baalke and company even consider throwing a future pick into a trade? Should they consider this?

I am convinced that the moves we make on a wide receiver or wide receivers have to be consensus moves--the result of a cooperative collaborative effort and understanding.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 4, 2014 at 6:27 AM ]
If we move up in the 1st or 2nd round I don't believe it will be for Moncrief.
Share 49ersWebzone