There are 173 users in the forums

Donte Moncrief-WR-Ole Miss

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I couldn't count on my hands and toes how many times his QB could not get the ball to him while he was wide open. His lack of a big statistical output stems far more from horrible quarterbacking than a lack of skill on Moncrief's part. He does have every tool, the QB just couldn't hit him in the hands. Or anywhere near his body for that matter much of the time.

As far as the proposition that he does not have quickness -- while not elite in that regard, I don't believe he lacks it. I am not concerned with his 3-cone and shuttle times. They compare well on the high-end to many of the recent top draft choices. See examples below.

Donte Moncrief times: 4.30 shuttle, 7.02 cone.
And this is at 6-2 221 pounds (how quick do you expect him to be?)

Robert Woods: 4.47 shuttle, 7.15 cone
Justin Hunter: 4.33 shuttle, 7.19 cone
DeAndre Hopkins: 4.50 shuttle, 6.83 cone
Rueben Randle: 4.36 shuttle, 6.99 cone
Michael Floyd: 4.37 shuttle, 7.11 cone
Sammy Watkins: 4.34 shuttle, 6.95 cone

So his shuttle was .04 fast and .07 slower than Watkins, the presumed #1 WR to be taken in this class. I see no issue with Moncrief's ability to move vertically or laterally, at his size especially.

He gets open, period. I think that is what some people are missing, whether or not the ball went to him is irrelevant, if you go back and look through his games, he was getting wide open consistently, you can't blame Moncrief because Wallace struggles to hit the broad side of a barn at times. The biggest, most important thing I look at with WR prospects is................A. Can he get open and B. can he catch the ball?

It seems pretty basic, but at the heart of everything, that is what a wide receiver does. That is what it boils down to, when you start critiquing a guy because he ran 3/100th's of a second slower on this or that, well you're really losing focus of what actually matters. Cutting through all the distractions and Combine numbers and everything, Moncrief is one of the very best in this class at getting separation from defensive backs. He showed the ability to do consistently and then to make some huge catches when the ball came his way. He's not a perfect prospect but he gets open and when he does, he makes plays on the ball reliably. He also fits this team as a very good blocker with the speed to be a vertical threat.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I couldn't count on my hands and toes how many times his QB could not get the ball to him while he was wide open. His lack of a big statistical output stems far more from horrible quarterbacking than a lack of skill on Moncrief's part. He does have every tool, the QB just couldn't hit him in the hands. Or anywhere near his body for that matter much of the time.

As far as the proposition that he does not have quickness -- while not elite in that regard, I don't believe he lacks it. I am not concerned with his 3-cone and shuttle times. They compare well on the high-end to many of the recent top draft choices. See examples below.

So his shuttle was .04 fast and .07 slower than Watkins, the presumed #1 WR to be taken in this class. I see no issue with Moncrief's ability to move vertically or laterally, at his size especially.

I like Moncrief. I hope we can get with our second pick in 2nd or first pick in the 3rd.

But speaking of size, speed, and quickness, we should not forget Jeff Janis.

Janis is 6-3 and 219. A little taller and a little lighter than Moncrief.

Jeff Janis did the short shuttle in 3.98 and the 3-cone in 6.64. Very good times.

I am stuck at Cooks/Matthews as our first wide receiver in the 2nd.
Moncrief as our 2nd in the third.

And if we go with three, I would add Janis in the 4th or 5th.
http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/09/06/matchup-breakdown-wr-donte-moncrief-v-cb-andre-hal/
Moncrief needs to just deal with the fact that he is not going to get every call and just go make plays anyway. He was certainly not awful by any stretch but it just seemed like Hal was able to get in his head too much and hurt his focus on being the star he should have been. Teams that have a corner capable are going to look at this tape and try to employ a similar strategy. Moncrief is going to see it again, so he needs to adapt and conquer it or will follow him the rest of his career. Donte Moncrief is the better prospect but the defensive scheme and Hal’s physical toughness ultimately propelled him to win the matchup
Originally posted by solidg2000:
http://withthefirstpick.com/2013/09/06/matchup-breakdown-wr-donte-moncrief-v-cb-andre-hal/

I counter with this vs Johnthan Banks, one of the top CB's in college at the time:

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 3, 2014 at 9:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Butter:
Where would u draft him? I think he'll be gone by the late 2nd

Trade up from the KC pick to Pick 15 in the 2nd and draft him there.

Personally I'd take him at the 30th pick in the first round. That's how much I like him but that's just me.
Originally posted by Mann716:
Personally I'd take him at the 30th pick in the first round. That's how much I like him but that's just me.

I trust the incompetence of other teams that he'll still be around in the middle of the 2nd round. If the 49ers could trade down twice, acquire an additional pick or two next year, as well as be able to move up into the 3rd round for a third pick in that round, that would be great. 3 picks in the 2nd, 3 picks in the 3rd round, get a WR or two, get a CB or two, add a safety, add a QB possibly?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I counter with this vs Johnthan Banks, one of the top CB's in college at the time:

Awesome deep post route and speed @ 2:15 mark. You people want a receiver that will beat Sherman and company, I think Moncrief is the guy.

If Moncrief runs a Post route like that on Sherman, no way he catches Moncrief.....can you say break away speed!!!
Originally posted by Mann716:

I trust the incompetence of other teams that he'll still be around in the middle of the 2nd round. If the 49ers could trade down twice, acquire an additional pick or two next year, as well as be able to move up into the 3rd round for a third pick in that round, that would be great. 3 picks in the 2nd, 3 picks in the 3rd round, get a WR or two, get a CB or two, add a safety, add a QB possibly?

If they feel like someone in the first round might be a star, they should draft them there. That year five option that comes with 1st rounders only is a big deal, IMO. It's gonna buy us some time to figure out the Aldon situation for sure.
Originally posted by buck:

I like Moncrief. I hope we can get with our second pick in 2nd or first pick in the 3rd.

But speaking of size, speed, and quickness, we should not forget Jeff Janis.

Janis is 6-3 and 219. A little taller and a little lighter than Moncrief.

Jeff Janis did the short shuttle in 3.98 and the 3-cone in 6.64. Very good times.

I am stuck at Cooks/Matthews as our first wide receiver in the 2nd.
Moncrief as our 2nd in the third.

And if we go with three, I would add Janis in the 4th or 5th.

Three big, fast strong receivers who showed the abiity to get open and catch the ball? Your lips to Baalke's ears!
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
He's not really quick (7.02 3 cone, 4.30 shuttle) but he is fast. He's tall but not big (32 3/8 arms, 9 1/8 hands), by consistent I'll give him that because he had 900+ yards back to back years, but he disappointed this season as most where expecting a big year. Drafting potential is fine, but there's always that chance he never develops. And the fact he didn't build on his sophomore year is a question mark especially since he had help from the break out freshman

He has deep speed not a change of direction type of WR but his hand size is a ? for me those are small hands for a guy his size especially at WR both Brandin cooks and Odell Beckham have bigger hands

I totally agree
I like the guy. I think if his work ethic is good and everything falls in place for him, he can be good. But having everyone talk like he's the best WR coming out of college and how he has no weaknesses and how amazing he is at everything makes it hard for me to root for him. I like him in the 3rd or later. His lack of a big year scares me. He had a lot of targets, and he had all the tools, so why didn't he make the jump into the next step

Now I understand what's at the root of your opposition to the guy.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Three big, fast strong receivers who showed the abiity to get open and catch the ball? Your lips to Baalke's ears!

Three wide receivers might be considered overkill.

Next year we would be deep and that would give some protection against injury.

Boldin/Matthews--Matthews gives possession with good speed.
Crabtree/Moncrief--Moncrief has speed can take off the top and tough can go across the middle.
Patton/Janis--slot receiver--excellent short area quickness and fast

The draft is not just for the upcoming season. In two years, Crabtree is a FA and Boldin is one year older.

If the worst came to pass, we would still have Patton, Matthews, Moncrief, and Janis.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 3, 2014 at 10:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Awesome deep post route and speed @ 2:15 mark. You people want a receiver that will beat Sherman and company, I think Moncrief is the guy.

If Moncrief runs a Post route like that on Sherman, no way he catches Moncrief.....can you say break away speed!!!

I counter with, how often does Seattle play off man coverage with 10 yards cushion lol
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Devils advocate, someone's who's not VP has to do it lol
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Devils advocate, someone's who's not VP has to do it lol

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM ]
I counter with, how often does Seattle play off man coverage with 10 yards cushion lol

Share 49ersWebzone