There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

AB81's 1st 1 Round 2014 NFL Mock Draft

• Liono
Originally posted by eonblue:
His arm is nowhere near as strong or accurate as kaeps. He's not as fast or athletic.

Kaep was a better prospect. Now think about that kaep/Nevada or mariotta/Oregon. How is mariiotta the 2nd overall while kaep was a 2nd round when one was much better?

Maybe it's the uniforms.

I mean this is ridiculous. Marietta is fast. He's benefitted from the spread doing just that - spreading things out for him to run.

ive watched a couple of his games and I rewatched every snap log I could find last night. He makes most of his throws on the run. New flash the NFL has kept kaep in the pocket. He has his moments but at least 3 times a drive he has to set in the pocket and throw for a down.

Mariotta can't do it. He couldn't do it against Stanford. He couldn't do it in most of the games I watched.

Here's what he does. Sets in pockets, makes one read, gets scared, bounces out, then throws on the run or runs it.

Or he sets in the pockets, makes his one read and forces it to that read. It's funny because he throws worse when he has to set in the pocket. He misses most of his throws when he has a clean pocket. Don't ask him to throw the deep ball.

Whoever he goes to better have the best run game/oline in the game because he's not going to be able collect yards with his arm. You're going to need stud WRs who have a 14 foot catch radius because mariotta likes to make it fun.

I just dint get it. The good attributes about this guy has never meant a top 10 pick in the past. He dominates discussions but if I was a GM I would be scared of this guy.

People think they're going to draft Oregons O. Even Chip Kelly has switched to a slower but more accurate QB to run his system. There's ton of those in this draft, Personally I don't care it just seems a little manufactured. The media inflates these things.

Mariota is every bit as fast and athletic as Kap, I can guarantee you that, not sure how much you've seen, but he has legit 4.4 speed and it shows up on the football field. He look eerily similar to Kap in terms of stride and build. And he has an arm, but his accuracy has been inconsistent. Kap fell to the 2nd round because scouts felt he was in a "gimmicy" offense, and his pocket passing and accuracy was in question too.

I honestly think the reason Mariota is projected to go so high is because teams are coveting super athletic QBs.
Originally posted by Liono:
Mariota is every bit as fast and athletic as Kap, I can guarantee you that, not sure how much you've seen, but he has legit 4.4 speed and it shows up on the football field. He look eerily similar to Kap in terms of stride and build. And he has an arm, but his accuracy has been inconsistent. Kap fell to the 2nd round because scouts felt he was in a "gimmicy" offense, and his pocket passing and accuracy was in question too.

I honestly think the reason Mariota is projected to go so high is because teams are coveting super athletic QBs.

You're probably right.
I'm looking at Kaep now and comparing him to much younger Mariotta.

Regardless even if their physique is equatable it didn't make Kaep a top 10 pick.

The NFL can covet whatever it wants but you still have to be bake to make hard throws to succeed in the league.

No amount of athleticism is going to matter when a dline contains and a LB spies. If you can contain a mobile Qb with a 4 man front and drop your spy into the crossing route zone it's over.

Mariotta had problems with the most medial throws this year. Out routes, bubble screens, screens, and corner. He absolutely has to go to a team with a running game because if you can't make these throws you can't run an offense. And the oline has to protect like a iron wall because this guy doesn't know how to spell footwork.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Dude Vick lost his spot. "Hamstring injury" or not - Chip gave up on him. Athleticism doesn't run his offense in the pros. He needs precise passing.

Anyways man continue laughing. This is my opinion. I'm allowed to have it.

You haven't attempted to refute it. You've just called it laughable and ignorant. Which is funny because your opinion is clearly based off experts who are just giving their opinion.

This stuff isn't science. There's no right or wrong opinion.

I've watched every piece of Mariotta tape I can find. I've reserved my judgements because I knew it would inflame west coasters. Well I've seen all I care to see and that's that.

Owell. I'm not an NFL team.

I'm a guy on a forum saying I don't like Mariotto. Prove me wrong. I would love to know if I'm missing something.

Yeah I did a few posts back and you didn't make a rebuttal.
Marcus Mariota:
-Good height, but needs to add some more weight to deal with NFL hits
-is a bit of a long strider, accelerates a bit slow but 5-6 steps in and he is at 4.5 speed
-Good scrambler, he can evade a rusher from the side and keeps his eyes downfield looking for a pass
-Looks a little bit stiff around the hips leading to a slow footwork off the snap. Could be a system issue that causes defenders to pause on whether Mariota is running or dropping back
-Great arm speed, he is really quick with "flinging" the ball out
-He seems to have 2 modes in the backfield. He stands still like a tree, or he is scrambling around. Would like to see him more fluid on his feet, more on the balls of his feet rather then sitting back on his heels and use the pocket more.
-Shows a great understanding of Oregon's offense, especially for a young guy. Good sign he can absorb NFL playbooks.
-He knows how to use his eyes and pump fakes to manipulate coverage
-On short throws he often shifts all his weight on to his back foot before he lets the ball out of his hands. Kind of an awkward lob rather then throw.
-ball security is a major issue, seems related to him sticking out his elbow often, which also comes up in his throwing motion
-He is not asked to many "NFL" throws, and when throwing into coverage its often an uncatchable ball for the defender and receiver
-Inconsistent throwing technique causes the ball to sail occasionally
-His accuracy is at its best in the middle of the field or throwing a bit of sidearm on short routes. Accuracy falls off when throwing deep or to the outside of hashmarks.
-In contested coverage where his man is only beating the defender by a smaller margin, consistently risks the overthrow for the incompletion or catch by receiver. Rarely ever underthrows on deeper pass patterns which is a big reason his interceptions are zero.
-arm strength is average, accuracy is great when technique is proper

If Mariota came out now? 3rd-4th round pick. If he goes before it, its because a team believes he will improve by leaps and bounds in the next 2 years and is gambling. No way can Mariota start at the NFL level next year.
I'm not sure I understand why the Rams wouldn't take Watkins
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Marcus Mariota:
-Good height, but needs to add some more weight to deal with NFL hits
-is a bit of a long strider, accelerates a bit slow but 5-6 steps in and he is at 4.5 speed
-Good scrambler, he can evade a rusher from the side and keeps his eyes downfield looking for a pass
-Looks a little bit stiff around the hips leading to a slow footwork off the snap. Could be a system issue that causes defenders to pause on whether Mariota is running or dropping back
-Great arm speed, he is really quick with "flinging" the ball out
-He seems to have 2 modes in the backfield. He stands still like a tree, or he is scrambling around. Would like to see him more fluid on his feet, more on the balls of his feet rather then sitting back on his heels and use the pocket more.
-Shows a great understanding of Oregon's offense, especially for a young guy. Good sign he can absorb NFL playbooks.
-He knows how to use his eyes and pump fakes to manipulate coverage
-On short throws he often shifts all his weight on to his back foot before he lets the ball out of his hands. Kind of an awkward lob rather then throw.
-ball security is a major issue, seems related to him sticking out his elbow often, which also comes up in his throwing motion
-He is not asked to many "NFL" throws, and when throwing into coverage its often an uncatchable ball for the defender and receiver
-Inconsistent throwing technique causes the ball to sail occasionally
-His accuracy is at its best in the middle of the field or throwing a bit of sidearm on short routes. Accuracy falls off when throwing deep or to the outside of hashmarks.
-In contested coverage where his man is only beating the defender by a smaller margin, consistently risks the overthrow for the incompletion or catch by receiver. Rarely ever underthrows on deeper pass patterns which is a big reason his interceptions are zero.
-arm strength is average, accuracy is great when technique is proper

If Mariota came out now? 3rd-4th round pick. If he goes before it, its because a team believes he will improve by leaps and bounds in the next 2 years and is gambling. No way can Mariota start at the NFL level next year.

The bolded are both because of the system he is in. Massoli, Thomas and Mariota have always done that. Why? I'm not sure, but they're not self-imposed habits.

As for the draft range, that is your opinion and not likely what would happen. He'd be a top-10 pick if he left this year, and most draft pundits would agree. Who knows what his draft stock is now, though.

And for people comparing his skill set to Kaps and claiming that Mariota shouldn't be a 1st round pick when Kap went in the second, the game has changed drastically since 2011. That was still an age where Rogers, Brady, Brees and Manning were all the rage, and still are to some extent, but the most popular QBs in the game today are the Kaps, RG III's, Wilsons and Newtons. This is one of the reasons why Mariota is gathering so much hype, but he does possess the tools to be included in that group of QBs listed above. Will he? Who the hell knows; I think every QB in this class has ?s, as none of them are "sure things" like Luck or Griffin.
Some thoughts on the draft:
-Mariota is too high, he isn't NFL ready
-Watkins should find a way to be higher than #10, like a way better Pierre Garcon
-I got a good look at Trevor Reilly, Utah. That kid is the real deal (built in the same mold as Barr). He is a 1st rounder, one of the most impressive edge rushers I've seen this year. So far I think he has looked better then Barr.
-I haven't been that impressed with Florida's CBs
-Not that high on Tajh Boyd
-Some other DT's to consider as possible 1st rounders are Aaron Donald Pitt, and the guy from Minnesota