There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

AB81's 1st 1 Round 2014 NFL Mock Draft

Really nice job AB...unfortunately our guy is going to be gone...we are picking 32nd.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Guy played with a strained MCL and that shows heart. He's still going top 5.

Im not impressed. That story may lighten his Heisman hit but if he was playing that bad because of injury they should've pulled him before the game. I mean my dude tried his best and played through the pain for his team but his "injury" isnt an excuse. He was pure hype. The Oregon/Pac12 media machine tried to paint this guy into something that he is not. Ive never seen such a meltdown since Jorden Jefferson in the 2011 CG. Mariotta literally displayed every characteristic you dont want to see in a prospect. His best play, the cross field throw, was a major no no. Yet again hes.nowhere near ready. Hes a 3-5th rd pick and thats generous. Its sad that theres so many pro ready QBs in this class and the media hype has this limp noodle going top 5.

I don't know if you've been watching the same Mariota I have, but judging him based off one game against an excellent Stanford D is pure ignorance if you ask me. Whether or not he's gonna be good in the NFL obviously debatable, as is with every college player. However, I've watched single one of his games and he's displayed time and time again that he was every tool you do want in a QB. He's extremely athletic and probably the best running QB in the country, excellent escapability and pocket presence, a very accurate passer from short to medium range AND his down field passing has drastically improved since last year, which was the one knock I had on him. He didn't really put any touch on his deep passes and would overthrow his targets continuously. He's worked on that and is now a very accurate downfield passer.

He's also a good decision maker and doesn't turn the ball over besides his 3-4 fumbles in two games against WSU and Stanford. He obviously didn't have a good game Thursday, but name one QB that has in the past couple years? They have a front 7 that is cluttered with NFL talent.

There's a reason he's getting hype that Darron Thomas never got, and it's because he's three times the player he was and has 1st round talent. Go back and watch his game against the Huskies if you want to see what type of player he is. Many draft pundits have him being a top-10 pick, and I'm going to listen to their opinion more than someone who says he has a "limp noodle".

The one ? I see about Mariota in the next level is the system he plays in at Oregon. He hasn't needed to throw into a lot of tight windows since our WRs are always able to get open, but that's more of a "yet to be determined" rather than a knock.

We shall see how he does, but you're pretty much the only person I've heard say he's a 2-3 round project player. That's just an ignorant comment, IMO.
Nice Mock AB. I would love to have Ha-Ha Dix.
we should be picking 32nd
Originally posted by eonblue:
Are you saying Hundley and Mett aren't talented? They're more likely to succeed than Manziel or Mariotta. Both are ready for the pros or as ready as you get.

I don't argue that they're not talented, I'm saying that drafting most QB's between 15-25 becomes a reach. If they were that good they'd go top 10.I will argue about Mariotta, this guy reminds me of Kaep. I believe he has a big future. We'll see how all of them pan out in the next few years.
I know Mariota didn't have his best game thursday night, but I did this prior to the game.

But I still stand by Mariota, I think he will be a good pro QB.

Hundley and Mettenberger are more pro ready. Also Aaron Murray is too. I believe this years QBs are much better than 2013.

I can see the following drafted in 1st 2 rounds.

Bridewater
Mariota
Boyd
Hundley
Mettenberger
Murray
Manziel

Darkhorse is Derek Carr.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Really nice job AB...unfortunately our guy is going to be gone...we are picking 32nd.

yeah. I dont expect Clinton-Dix to last to 26-32. I still think this is impossible without trades. We can see so many deals come draft night. I can see us giving up a 1st and 3rd for a guy like Clinton-Dix, or higher for Sammy Watkins or Marquise Lee. Would probably take a 1, 2 and 4 and a future pick. But if we go mid 1st round, I see it only costing a 3rd plus out 1st. Maybe a 7th, depending on the team. I believe the 49ers and Cowboys had the trade already done before draft night, depended on Reid being there.
  • Liono
  • Member
  • Posts: 359
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

He's also a good decision maker and doesn't turn the ball over besides his 3-4 fumbles in two games against WSU and Stanford. He obviously didn't have a good game Thursday, but name one QB that has in the past couple years? They have a front 7 that is cluttered with NFL talent.

There's a reason he's getting hype that Darron Thomas never got, and it's because he's three times the player he was and has 1st round talent. Go back and watch his game against the Huskies if you want to see what type of player he is. Many draft pundits have him being a top-10 pick, and I'm going to listen to their opinion more than someone who says he has a "limp noodle".

The one ? I see about Mariota in the next level is the system he plays in at Oregon. He hasn't needed to throw into a lot of tight windows since our WRs are always able to get open, but that's more of a "yet to be determined" rather than a knock.

We shall see how he does, but you're pretty much the only person I've heard say he's a 2-3 round project player. That's just an ignorant comment, IMO.

Darron Thomas didn't throw many pics either, that's because in the Oregon Duck style of offense, the QB doesn't force anything into coverage. IMO, the reason Mariota is getting so much attention is because scouts think he's going to be the next Colin Kaepernick. Mobile QBs have re-emerged as a big fad in the NFL because of Wilson and Kaep...crappy teams see it is a quick fix.

This is the only game I can remember where Mariota was forced to be a pocket passer (because of his injury). And he did not look good at all in that role. I can totally see this poor guy getting drafted onto a crappy team and get the snot knocked out of him every Sunday. His NFL passing skills are still a big unknown IMO...but he has the physical tools. So it's hard to tell sometimes with these athletic college QBs. Sometimes they blossom in the NFL and sometimes they don't.
[ Edited by Liono on Nov 10, 2013 at 8:00 AM ]
Originally posted by Liono:
Darron Thomas didn't throw many pics either, that's because in the Oregon Duck style of offense, the QB doesn't force anything into coverage. IMO, the reason Mariota is getting so much attention is because scouts think he's going to be the next Colin Kaepernick. Mobile QBs have re-emerged as a big fad in the NFL because of Wilson and Kaep...crappy teams see it is a quick fix.

This is the only game I can remember where Mariota was forced to be a pocket passer (because of his injury). And he did not look good at all in that role. I can totally see this poor guy getting drafted onto a crappy team and get the snot knocked out of him every Sunday. His NFL passing skills are still a big unknown IMO...but he has the physical tools. So it's hard to tell sometimes with these athletic college QBs. Sometimes they blossom in the NFL and sometimes they don't.

His arm is nowhere near as strong or accurate as kaeps. He's not as fast or athletic.

Kaep was a better prospect. Now think about that kaep/Nevada or mariotta/Oregon. How is mariiotta the 2nd overall while kaep was a 2nd round when one was much better?

Maybe it's the uniforms.

I mean this is ridiculous. Marietta is fast. He's benefitted from the spread doing just that - spreading things out for him to run.

ive watched a couple of his games and I rewatched every snap log I could find last night. He makes most of his throws on the run. New flash the NFL has kept kaep in the pocket. He has his moments but at least 3 times a drive he has to set in the pocket and throw for a down.

Mariotta can't do it. He couldn't do it against Stanford. He couldn't do it in most of the games I watched.

Here's what he does. Sets in pockets, makes one read, gets scared, bounces out, then throws on the run or runs it.

Or he sets in the pockets, makes his one read and forces it to that read. It's funny because he throws worse when he has to set in the pocket. He misses most of his throws when he has a clean pocket. Don't ask him to throw the deep ball.

Whoever he goes to better have the best run game/oline in the game because he's not going to be able collect yards with his arm. You're going to need stud WRs who have a 14 foot catch radius because mariotta likes to make it fun.

I just dint get it. The good attributes about this guy has never meant a top 10 pick in the past. He dominates discussions but if I was a GM I would be scared of this guy.

People think they're going to draft Oregons O. Even Chip Kelly has switched to a slower but more accurate QB to run his system. There's ton of those in this draft, Personally I don't care it just seems a little manufactured. The media inflates these things.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM ]
If they lose Whitner, Dix would be an awesome fit, even if he costs picks to move up.
Originally posted by Liono:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

He's also a good decision maker and doesn't turn the ball over besides his 3-4 fumbles in two games against WSU and Stanford. He obviously didn't have a good game Thursday, but name one QB that has in the past couple years? They have a front 7 that is cluttered with NFL talent.

There's a reason he's getting hype that Darron Thomas never got, and it's because he's three times the player he was and has 1st round talent. Go back and watch his game against the Huskies if you want to see what type of player he is. Many draft pundits have him being a top-10 pick, and I'm going to listen to their opinion more than someone who says he has a "limp noodle".

The one ? I see about Mariota in the next level is the system he plays in at Oregon. He hasn't needed to throw into a lot of tight windows since our WRs are always able to get open, but that's more of a "yet to be determined" rather than a knock.

We shall see how he does, but you're pretty much the only person I've heard say he's a 2-3 round project player. That's just an ignorant comment, IMO.

Darron Thomas didn't throw many pics either, that's because in the Oregon Duck style of offense, the QB doesn't force anything into coverage. IMO, the reason Mariota is getting so much attention is because scouts think he's going to be the next Colin Kaepernick. Mobile QBs have re-emerged as a big fad in the NFL because of Wilson and Kaep...crappy teams see it is a quick fix.

This is the only game I can remember where Mariota was forced to be a pocket passer (because of his injury). And he did not look good at all in that role. I can totally see this poor guy getting drafted onto a crappy team and get the snot knocked out of him every Sunday. His NFL passing skills are still a big unknown IMO...but he has the physical tools. So it's hard to tell sometimes with these athletic college QBs. Sometimes they blossom in the NFL and sometimes they don't.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/378502/darron-thomas

Thomas had 16 pics in his two years as a starter. And yeah I agree his NFL passing skills are unknown, but I feel like they are with every QB in the NFL. Brigewater has been playing bad competition throughout his career, Hundley actually has a noodle arm, and I think Manziel will be a star in the league, but he's got the biggest ?'s heading into the NFL.
Originally posted by ninergold:
If they lose Whitner, Dix would be an awesome fit, even if he costs picks to move up.

I'm not saying I don't want him but I think Dix could go as early as 11th. I don't want to trade the farm for a starter we can stay out and still pick up a starting CB. We would have to give up a 2nd and 3rd at least. Why not let our scouts boss another draft and will just keep getting richer. Plus If we're gonna trade up it should be wr because otherwise you're not getting maximum value.
Originally posted by eonblue:
His arm is nowhere near as strong or accurate as kaeps. He's not as fast or athletic.

Kaep was a better prospect. Now think about that kaep/Nevada or mariotta/Oregon. How is mariiotta the 2nd overall while kaep was a 2nd round when one was much better?

Maybe it's the uniforms.

I mean this is ridiculous. Marietta is fast. He's benefitted from the spread doing just that - spreading things out for him to run.

ive watched a couple of his games and I rewatched every snap log I could find last night. He makes most of his throws on the run. New flash the NFL has kept kaep in the pocket. He has his moments but at least 3 times a drive he has to set in the pocket and throw for a down.

Mariotta can't do it. He couldn't do it against Stanford. He couldn't do it in most of the games I watched.

Here's what he does. Sets in pockets, makes one read, gets scared, bounces out, then throws on the run or runs it.

Or he sets in the pockets, makes his one read and forces it to that read. It's funny because he throws worse when he has to set in the pocket. He misses most of his throws when he has a clean pocket. Don't ask him to throw the deep ball.

Whoever he goes to better have the best run game/oline in the game because he's not going to be able collect yards with his arm. You're going to need stud WRs who have a 14 foot catch radius because mariotta likes to make it fun.

I just dint get it. The good attributes about this guy has never meant a top 10 pick in the past. He dominates discussions but if I was a GM I would be scared of this guy.

People think they're going to draft Oregons O. Even Chip Kelly has switched to a slower but more accurate QB to run his system. There's ton of those in this draft, Personally I don't care it just seems a little manufactured. The media inflates these things.

First of all, half of your post is laughable.

Secondly, Kelly hasn't "switched" to the accurate QB, it's what he has on his roster since Vick sucks and gets injured every other quarter.
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Nov 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM ]
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/378502/darron-thomas

Thomas had 16 pics in his two years as a starter. And yeah I agree his NFL passing skills are unknown, but I feel like they are with every QB in the NFL. Brigewater has been playing bad competition throughout his career, Hundley actually has a noodle arm, and I think Manziel will be a star in the league, but he's got the biggest ?'s heading into the NFL.

Bridgewater is laser accurate and can make any throw. Hundley has a great throwing motion and a cannon arm but he makes bad descions. Their passing skills are far from unknown.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM ]
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
First of all, half of your post is laughable.

Secondly, Kelly hasn't "switched" to the accurate QB, it's what he has on his roster since Vick sucks and gets injured every other quarter.

Dude Vick lost his spot. "Hamstring injury" or not - Chip gave up on him. Athleticism doesn't run his offense in the pros. He needs precise passing.

Anyways man continue laughing. This is my opinion. I'm allowed to have it.

You haven't attempted to refute it. You've just called it laughable and ignorant. Which is funny because your opinion is clearly based off experts who are just giving their opinion.

This stuff isn't science. There's no right or wrong opinion.

I've watched every piece of Mariotta tape I can find. I've reserved my judgements because I knew it would inflame west coasters. Well I've seen all I care to see and that's that.

Owell. I'm not an NFL team.

I'm a guy on a forum saying I don't like Mariotto. Prove me wrong. I would love to know if I'm missing something.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM ]