LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 328 users in the forums

AB81's 1st 1 Round 2014 NFL Mock Draft

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
I would argue CB is more important than a SS.

I disagree strongly. If they could add Clinton-Dix to Reid....that'd be a nightmare for opposing offenses, truly scary. I would take that, especially since CB is deeper than safety in this draft. Clinton-Dix in the first, then add 2 CB's somewhere between the 2nd and 4th rounds and this secondary would be ready to rock next season.

Assuming we resign Brock, Wright, and restructure Carlos Rogers, that's a good tandem with Clinton-Dix.

CB: Culliver
CB: Brock/Wright
CB: Rogers/Cooper
FS: Clinton-Dix
SS: Reid
Originally posted by GEEK:
Assuming we resign Brock, Wright, and restructure Carlos Rogers, that's a good tandem with Clinton-Dix.

Cully coming off an ACL tear, Brock having a 1/2 a good season in his whole career, Rogers good one season than shaky the next plus making way to much $ next year, Cooper is in KC (you're thinking Morris who's unproven as a CB), and trying to rejuvenate Wright who's on a 1 year deal doesn't sound very solid to me. We need at least 2 CBs in this draft, even if 1 isn't taken in the 1st round.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Nov 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by GEEK:

Cully coming off an ACL tear, Brock having a 1/2 a good season in his whole career, Rogers good one season than shaky the next plus making way to much $ next year, Cooper is in KC (you're thinking Morris who's unproven as a CB), and trying to rejuvenate Wright who's on a 1 year deal doesn't sound very solid to me. We need at least 2 CBs in this draft, even if 1 isn't taken in the 1st round.

Well yes, we need to add talented young players to the roster. Agreed.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I like the pick. Clinton-Dix is a solid player. Safety is a need.... if we fail to resign Whitner (who I think deserves a modest extension after his play so far this season). WR and CB are bigger needs. But getting the right player is always more important than getting the right position.

That said, I'm not a fan of your projected draft order... I think 49ers - Broncos is a more likely super-bowl matchup than Chiefs - Seahawkes

Should of mentioned, not projected. It;s the current one based off record/opponents win percentage, from GBNReport.com
I have 2 qualms AB. First, I think your underrating Barr. He's the most explosive pass rusher in this class. What he does is more valuable than what Tuitt and Nix do and he does it better. Clowney is the first defensive player based on physical attributes but Barr is a top 5 pick. If I'm one of your team picking an online men in the top 10 I would pick Barr first hands down. He's a pass rusher of the highest calibre and those are picked at a premium. Second, did you see Mariota tonight? I have watched him all season, soaking his style in. I've noticed some things that can't be ignored. He can't make all the throws a qb needs to make. Awful at the back shoulder and corner. He doesn't shuffle his feet which makes him a statue in the pocket. He doesn't square his shoulders. His throwing motion is slow and awkward. He's not a #2 pick. He's barely a developmental pick in the 3rd rd. I mean literally all the traits you needs to have in the NFL he has the opposite of. Let me ask. What do you think of Hundley? I think him and Aaron Murray are the 3 & 4 behind bridgewater and Boyd.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
I have 2 qualms AB. First, I think your underrating Barr. He's the most explosive pass rusher in this class. What he does is more valuable than what Tuitt and Nix do and he does it better. Clowney is the first defensive player based on physical attributes but Barr is a top 5 pick. If I'm one of your team picking an online men in the top 10 I would pick Barr first hands down. He's a pass rusher of the highest calibre and those are picked at a premium. Second, did you see Mariota tonight? I have watched him all season, soaking his style in. I've noticed some things that can't be ignored. He can't make all the throws a qb needs to make. Awful at the back shoulder and corner. He doesn't shuffle his feet which makes him a statue in the pocket. He doesn't square his shoulders. His throwing motion is slow and awkward. He's not a #2 pick. He's barely a developmental pick in the 3rd rd. I mean literally all the traits you needs to have in the NFL he has the opposite of. Let me ask. What do you think of Hundley? I think him and Aaron Murray are the 3 & 4 behind bridgewater and Boyd.

I actually did this before Oregon/Stanford tonight.

I love Barr, and I hate Mocks at times. I have Barr top 10 in big board, I have a hard time fitting the guys in certain slots. Maybe my ND Homerism is kicking in, I love Tuitt and Nix a lot. I agree Clowney is top Defensive player taken.

I went basically need basis. I like Hundley, Idk if he declares though. He is a RS Sophomore I think.

I got caught up in the Rockets game, I missed the Oregon/Stanford game. How bad was he?

Murray I like a lot. I am even in the feelings he is better than Manziel as a pro prospect. idk, some of my rankings are gonna get shaken up. When I did this mock, I realized I had guys lower or higher than others do. Idk if I should care or not. I try to stay away from other sites rankings. like Kiper, McShay, GBNReport, Matt Miller, and draftcountdown.com. I dont wanna be swayed by those sites.

I think it's better to be original, and not copy others. Thats why I have a hard time with injured players. I like Easley a lot, he will likel end up like Tank. Get underlooked at first, then hyped up, and fall due to injuries. He has 1st round talent. I see a 2nd rd grade from me right now.
I also had a tough time with our pick. I thought Gilbert at 1st, but realized we probably retain Brock, we have Cully coming back, and Wright maybe back. Plus Morris has potential. But I would focus round 2, If I did one on CB and WR.

Likely picks from these guys.

WR

Jordan Matthews
Odell Beckham Jr.
Tevin Reese
Brandon Coleman
Jarvis Landry

If we were to trade up

Allen Robinson
Donte Moncrief
Paul Richardson

CB

Darqueze Dennard
Jason Verrett
Aaron Colvin
Ricardo Allen
Kyle Fuller
Antone Exum
Andre Hal

If we went CB in round 1, like Olomu, or Gilbert. Or one of my top 3(Roby-Roberson-Purifoy), I would take a SS, like Ahmad Dixon, Deone Buchannon, or Craig Loston in late rd 2.
Great mock but I'm not so sure the bucs would be eager to draft a qb first. Glennon has played well when he is playing and I think he can win them enough games to prove that he deserves to have a full season.

The jags though, they are getting the first pick. No explanation needed.

This. I see no way that Barr falls out of the top 10 short of killing someone before the draft.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

I love Barr, and I hate Mocks at times. I have Barr top 10 in big board, I have a hard time fitting the guys in certain slots. Maybe my ND Homerism is kicking in, I love Tuitt and Nix a lot. I agree Clowney is top Defensive player taken.

I went basically need basis. I like Hundley, Idk if he declares though. He is a RS Sophomore I think.

I got caught up in the Rockets game, I missed the Oregon/Stanford game. How bad was he?

Murray I like a lot. I am even in the feelings he is better than Manziel as a pro prospect. idk, some of my rankings are gonna get shaken up. When I did this mock, I realized I had guys lower or higher than others do. Idk if I should care or not. I try to stay away from other sites rankings. like Kiper, McShay, GBNReport, Matt Miller, and draftcountdown.com. I dont wanna be swayed by those sites.

I think it's better to be original, and not copy others. Thats why I have a hard time with injured players. I like Easley a lot, he will likel end up like Tank. Get underlooked at first, then hyped up, and fall due to injuries. He has 1st round talent. I see a 2nd rd grade from me right now.

Mariotta had a really bad night. He was killing drives with his inaccuravy. He fumbled it twice. The scoreline is generous as Oregon was shutout with 5min to go and Stanford started giving away garbage. I mean you know how good the NFL front 7 is. You have to be accurate and you have to shuffle your feet or you'll get eaten alive. Mariotta has clearly not memorized the basic skills a qb needs to succeed. This is why I love Murray. He's accurate, decisive, and he has that internal clock that makes those feet shuffle in the pocket snap after snap, He done so much with so little and I think he will be a steal for some team. He won't grab a 1st rd pick but whoever picks him is getting a pro style prospect. I like Murray more than Boyd to be honest. Hundley is a double edged sword. He makes a lot of mistakes but he has a huge arm and its pinpoint accurate. He can make the throws and has the footwork to navigate the pocket. He has a tendency to force it though. With Hundley you have the most physically impressive prospect but you also have a raw diamond so an early pick is not without risk. I would pick him top 10 based on potential alone. Yea I'm not trying to change your draft but putting the ND kids ahead of Barr felt like a crime. Anyways loved the draft. I love reading these and thinking about things like how badass the Niners would be with Clinton dix.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This. I see no way that Barr falls out of the top 10 short of killing someone before the draft.

I agree. Which I why I hate doing mocks without trades. I just did a basic one for the basis to get one out. I doubt Barr goes outside top 10. I am a homer for Tuitt and Nix. I view Barr as an elite pass rusher. I also view Tuitt as one too. Beasley is a question, Idk how far he goes. Others like Shazier, Murphy, Lynch, etc....

I view this as a defensive loaded draft or at least 1st 2 rounds. So many DT, DE, CB, and OLB prospects. with some good Safety, and ILB prospects. The class right now is deep at WR, QB, and OT. I always view Center, and Guard as top heavy at best. I like the top 3 OGs, Yankey, Richardson, and Jackson. Tackle seems top heavy and depth wise. Guys like Matthews, Lewan and Kouandjio are top 15 picks IMO. Erving, Tiny Richardson, and Hurst are other potential 1st round guys.

I personally cant wait for senior bowl, I love that time. I hope to tape it and disect it better than in past years. I have gone with Youtube as a helper. cause most dont have access to game tape, or coaches tape, like suppsedly McShay and Kiper do, or Mayock. And whatever I see on TV I usually make a note or 2. I have a excel file, well tab inside my SF49ersCap sheet with 2014 prospects, and rankings, past rankings, etc... Whatever you see on PigskinProspects.com I have in that file.

Mariotta had a really bad night. He was killing drives with his inaccuravy. He fumbled it twice. The scoreline is generous as Oregon was shutout with 5min to go and Stanford started giving away garbage. I mean you know how good the NFL front 7 is. You have to be accurate and you have to shuffle your feet or you'll get eaten alive. Mariotta has clearly not memorized the basic skills a qb needs to succeed. This is why I love Murray. He's accurate, decisive, and he has that internal clock that makes those feet shuffle in the pocket snap after snap, He done so much with so little and I think he will be a steal for some team. He won't grab a 1st rd pick but whoever picks him is getting a pro style prospect. I like Murray more than Boyd to be honest. Hundley is a double edged sword. He makes a lot of mistakes but he has a huge arm and its pinpoint accurate. He can make the throws and has the footwork to navigate the pocket. He has a tendency to force it though. With Hundley you have the most physically impressive prospect but you also have a raw diamond so an early pick is not without risk. I would pick him top 10 based on potential alone. Yea I'm not trying to change your draft but putting the ND kids ahead of Barr felt like a crime. Anyways loved the draft. I love reading these and thinking about things like how badass the Niners would be with Clinton dix.

Thanks eon for not killing me so badly, . I did see one pass he threw low to his WR early on.

My rankings will change from week to week. I plan on going up to top 200. I was at 190. But with new prospects everyone pointed out, I will be doing some work on them.

I didn't include Ego Ferguson, as I haven't seen him play, so I dont wanna act like I know him, when in fact I dont. So I dont look like a fraud.
Thanks eon for not killing me so badly, . I did see one pass he threw low to his WR early on.

My rankings will change from week to week. I plan on going up to top 200. I was at 190. But with new prospects everyone pointed out, I will be doing some work on them.

I didn't include Ego Ferguson, as I haven't seen him play, so I dont wanna act like I know him, when in fact I dont. So I dont look like a fraud.

No prob. It's hard for me to keep up with everyone too. To be honest I devote most of my time to the SEC and one conference is enough for me. I watch all the top 10 matchup and some individual tapes but I'm usually the last guy to learn about players from other conferences. I can give you a report on anyone in the SEC tho. That's why the forums and your lists are nice because they make scouting other conferences easy.

I know you didn't include trades but just for discussions sake I think we trade up. They targeted Reid with a 3rd round pick and I could see us trading off another for Purifoy or Clinton Dix. I've been win over for Purifoy. He's 6-1 189 with long arms and upper body strength. Purifoy is extremely athletic and physically imposes himself on the receivers. We can work on his coverage. Cully and Brock evidence that but purifoy is on another level. It goes without saying were drafting the most natural playmaker on ST in the country. What could go wrong?

With the late 2nd I've Ben considering guard/center. There's just so many good interior linemen. Goodwins contract expires this year. Iupatis next year. If all else why not add some quality and most likely a starter if we can't get goodwin/iupati figured out. Yet again this class has a lot of starting calibre interior linemen and some monster Run blockers. I feel like it would be smart business and step towards continue oline dominance.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM ]

No prob. It's hard for me to keep up with everyone too. To be honest I devote most of my time to the SEC and one conference is enough for me. I watch all the top 10 matchup and some individual tapes but I'm usually the last guy to learn about players from other conferences. I can give you a report on anyone in the SEC tho. That's why the forums and your lists are nice because they make scouting other conferences easy.

I know you didn't include trades but just fit discussions sake I think we trade up. They targeted Reid with a 3rd pick and I could see us trading off another for Purifoy or Clinton Dix. I've been win over for Purifoy. He's 6-1 189 with long arms and upper body strength. Purifoy is extremely athletic and physically imposes himself on the receivers. We can work on his coverage. Cully and Brock evidence that but purifoy is on another level. It goes without saying were drafting the most natural playmaker on ST in the country. What could go wrong?

With the late 2nd I've Ben considering guard/center. There's just so many good interior linemen. Goodwins contract expires this year. Iupatis next year. If all else why not add some quality and most likely a starter if we can't get goodwin/iupati figured out. Yet again this class has a lot of starting calibre interior linemen and some monster Run blockers. I feel like it would be smart business and step towards continue oline dominance.

I agree, we will likely trade up for whoever we like the most. I have no issue with a 1st and 3rd for the 18th pick again. If we need top 10, then our 1st, 2nd, and 4th I think is reasonable. I dont think trades are tough nowadays anymore.

If you wanna do just one conference thats cool. Any help would be awesome. SEC would work great, since most of the top guys are from those what 14 teams now.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I like the pick. Clinton-Dix is a solid player. Safety is a need.... if we fail to resign Whitner (who I think deserves a modest extension after his play so far this season). WR and CB are bigger needs. But getting the right player is always more important than getting the right position.

That said, I'm not a fan of your projected draft order... I think 49ers - Broncos is a more likely super-bowl matchup than Chiefs - Seahawkes

i think he went with how the draft would happen right now if the season ended. niners will draft 32nd on the official draft board u dont think we'll go WR in the 1st AB?
Share 49ersWebzone