There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

AB81's 1st 1 Round 2014 NFL Mock Draft

Here it is, http://pigskinprospects.com/2013/11/07/jasons-1st-2014-1-round-mock-draft-as-of-november-7th-2013/

Feel free to disect and critique it. Let me know thoughts. I took who I took, because he was the BPA and a need. While I dont agree with moving the other player, I do think both would make a dynamic tandem.

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – 0-8 - QB Teddy Bridgewater, Lousiville

The Buccaneers clearly need a franchise QB, and Bridgewater will bring that.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars – 0-8 - QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon

The Jags need to find a QB who can be the future, and it's clear neither Chad Henne or Blaine Gabbert are the answer.

3. Minnesota Vikings – 1-7 - DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina

The Vikings get a steal here, while they may be hoping Mariota or Bridgewater fall to them, they take makybe the best player in Clowney to take over for the likely departing Jared Allen.

4. Pittsburgh Steelers – 2-6 - OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M

The Steelers need to get younger on the O-Line, and Matthews will bring toughness to the O-Line, and is my top Tackle in this years class.

5. Atlanta Falcons – 2-6 - OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan

The Falcons need a new LT with the release of Tyson Clabo, so they turn to Lewan, who is my 2nd best Tackle, and bring a big body, and strong Tackle go their O-Line.

6. Houston Texans – 2-6 - QB Tajh Boyd, Clemson

The Texans are happy to land Boyd, who is my opinion is a francise capable QB.

7. New York Giants – 2-6 - OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama

The Giants need depth, and youth among the O-Line, and Kouandjio is a big body, and will be strength to the O-Line, and replace David Deihl.

8. Buffalo Bills – 3-6 - DE Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame

The Bills cut ties with Mark Anderson, only a year after landing him with a good sized deal. So they add a top notch DE and pass rusher to their D-Line, to go along with Mario Williams, Marcel Dareus, and Kyle Williams.

9. St. Louis Rams – 3-6 - DT Louis Nix III, Notre Dame

The Rams use this pick as sort of a luxury pick, and take my top DT/NT in Notre Dame's Louis Nix III. He is a huge guy, who has good speed for a guy his size.

10. Baltimore Ravens – 3-5 - WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson

The Ravens need more fire power at the WR spot, and Watkins has speed, and the length to be a dominant WR in the NFL.

11. St. Louis Rams (f/Washington Redskins) - OG David Yankey, Stanford

The Rams need Guard help. And Yankey is my top Guard, and my only OG in my top 32 rankings.

12. Oakland Raiders – 3-5 - WR Marquise Lee, USC

The Raiders get more dynamic at WR with Lee. Who may be having a down year, but my feelings are this is due to uncertainty at QB, and the lack of a good coaching staff.

13. Philadelphia Eagles – 4-5 - OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA

You can never have too many pass rushers, so the Eagles take my top OLB, Anthony Barr, and add size and speed to their linebacker core.

14. Cleveland Browns – 4-5 - QB Brett Hundley, UCLA

The Browns take the QB, who they believe is their franchise QB for the future.

15. Miami Dolphins – 4-4 - CB Bradley Roby, Ohio State

The Dolphins have many needs, Tackle, maybe a TE, but CB is a huge need, so they take the top Cornerback is taken here. He brings decent size, and good speed. And is a good cover corner.

16. Tennessee Titans – 4-4 - CB Marcus Roberson, Florida

The Titans take a good CB prospect. And they view him as the replacement for the departed Cortland Finnegan, who left a year ago to go to the Rams.

17. Arizona Cardinals – 4-4 - QB Zack Mettenberger, LSU

The Cards take a solid QB, who they hope is their future at QB. Mettenberger has become one of the best QBs in the nation, and because of that, he has risen up draft boards.

18. San Diego Chargers – 4-4 - OT Cameron Erving, Florida State

The Chargers take a Tackle to be their future at LT. They have no real long term answer their, so why not take a solid Tackle, who is the main protector of Florida State's Freshman QB Jamies Winston.

19. Green Bay Packers – 5-3 - ILB C.J. Mosley, Alabama

The Packers could very well make A.J. Hawk a cap casualty in the offseason, so Mosley makes sense, as he can play Inside or Outside. Another possibility is a NT.

20. Chicago Bears – 5-3 - OLB Vic Beasley, Clemson

The Bears could use a solid pass rusher, and Beasley is a high riser. While I have him ranked in the top 15, I usually do the big boards on the reasoing of I believe that certain player is the best at that spot, not certainly where they will be picked.

21P. New York Jets – 5-4 - OLB Khalil Mack, Buffalo

The Jets need a top notch pass rushing OLB, and Mack has risen up, he is from a small MAC school, and is a solid pass rusher. Good speed, and size.

22P. Dallas Cowboys – 5-4 - OT Antonio Rchardson, Tennessee

The Cowboys could move on from Doug Free, and take one of the best Tackles in Richardson. Known as Tiny, he surely is not Tiny. He is a big boy, and a massive force for the Tennessee Volunteer football team.

23P. Detroit Lions – 5-3 - OLB Trent Murphy, Stanford

The Lions could use a versatile opass rusher, who can play End and OLB.

24P. Carolina Panthers – 5-3 - OLB Ryan Shazier, Ohio State

The Panthers could use a pass rusher, with dynamic play abilities, and good speed.

25P. Cincinnati Bengals – 6-3 - CB Louchiez Purifoy, Florida

The Bengals have had major issues at CB, Leon Hall went down this season, and they are rellying on Dre Kirkpatrick, a 2nd year player from Alabama, and veterans Adam Jones, and Terrence Newman. So CB is a huge need.

26P. San Francisco 49ers – 6-2 - FS Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix, Alabama

The 49ers will use Clinton-Dix and Eric Reid, their 1st round pick in 2013 in the secondary as two dynamic play makers, and big hitters.

27P. New Orleans Saints – 6-2 - DE Aaron Lynch, South Florida

The Saints could be looking to cut ties with Will Smith, and by doing so, they get younger with Lynch.

28P. Cleveland Browns (f/Indianapolis Colts) - WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M

The Browns have already got, who they think is their franchise QB in Brett Hundley, so why not give him a big target in Evans. Plus they are gonna look to deal Josh Gordon, and if not, that gives Cleveland a dynamic dual threat at WR.

29P. New England Patriots – 7-2 - CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon

The Pats could use a young CB, who has speed, and good coverage skills.

30P. Denver Broncos – 7-1 - CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State

The Broncos need to get younger at CB, and Champ Bailey isn't getting any younger, and he may retire, so it's best to get a young stud CB in the late 1st round.

31P. Seattle Seahawks – 8-1 - DT Timmy Jernigan, Florida State

The Seahawks need to possibly replace Michael Bennett, so they bring in a big DT who could play DE if need be.

32P. Kansas City Chiefs – 9-0 - DT Anthony Johnson, LSU

The Chiefs need to improve their DT spot. And Johnson could play some End, which they could use, as they let Glenn Dorsey leave to go to San Francisco, where he has done a good job.
[ Edited by AB81Rules on Nov 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM ]
Good mock, if Ifo Ekpre-Olomu was available, like he is in your mock, he's a guy I hope we go for. I see CB being a bigger need than safety. We can always bring (W)hitner back on a 1 year. He's played well this year next to Reid. CB is thin though.

Edit: Forgot to say, good mock though.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Nov 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM ]
I like the pick and hope we go SS and CB early..along with WR in the top 2 rounds
Tuitt said he's returning to ND for his senior season didn't he?
Really like the Clinton-Dix pick but I'd also really like Ifo or Gilbert there.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Nov 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM ]
Sorry guys. Clinton-Dix is better footballer then Olomu or Gilbert. It's really no contest. Him and Reid would be a ruthless tandem.

If he's available you would be foolish to pass him up. He comes into the league and grades out top 5 his 1st year. He's like earl Thomas except taller stronger and faster.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Sorry guys. Clinton-Dix is better footballer then Olomu or Gilbert. It's really no contest. Him and Reid would be a ruthless tandem.

If he's available you would be foolish to pass him up. He comes into the league and grades out top 5 his 1st year. He's like earl Thomas except taller stronger and faster.
I would argue CB is more important than a SS.
AB how do you feel about Allen Robinson from PSU as a prospect? Ive been impressed by him so far this year
Originally posted by Travisty13:

He's a FS. One if the best FS prospects in the past 5 years. He can single high 4 wr sets but also release up field for 5 yard TFL. Him and Reid would cause offensive coordinators to commit suicide. He can actually cover like a CB so really you would be getting the best of both worlds. Plus a position of need is a position of need. Is there really a point to arguing which one is more important? Realistically we need both.

He's a FS. One if the best FS prospects in the past 5 years. He can single high 4 wr sets but also release up field for 5 yard TFL. Him and Reid would cause offensive coordinators to commit suicide. He can actually cover like a CB so really you would be getting the best of both worlds. Plus a position of need is a position of need. Is there really a point to arguing which one is more important? Realistically we need both.

Well than its irrelevant if he's that good. No way he gets to our pick in the 20s. He'd be a top 10 pick if he's "a taller, faster, stronger Earl Thomas".
Mariota ain't gonna be second after tonight...

Holy s**t, Reid and Ha'Sean would be one dangerous combo. Maybe even one of the most lethal safety tandems in the league.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if we picked him up or Ifo. S and CB are both big needs next year.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Nov 7, 2013 at 8:18 PM ]

I disagree strongly. If they could add Clinton-Dix to Reid....that'd be a nightmare for opposing offenses, truly scary. I would take that, especially since CB is deeper than safety in this draft. Clinton-Dix in the first, then add 2 CB's somewhere between the 2nd and 4th rounds and this secondary would be ready to rock next season.
Nice mock. That would give us a killer backend on defense there!
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Tuitt said he's returning to ND for his senior season didn't he?
Really like the Clinton-Dix pick but I'd also really like Ifo or Gilbert there.

Thanks everyone worked on it for about an hour.

Yeah Tuitt said it initially, but retracked it. Said he wasn't 100% sure. While the A&M OT said he was staying, not Matthews, the other one, I cant remember his name.
I like the pick. Clinton-Dix is a solid player. Safety is a need.... if we fail to resign Whitner (who I think deserves a modest extension after his play so far this season). WR and CB are bigger needs. But getting the right player is always more important than getting the right position.

That said, I'm not a fan of your projected draft order... I think 49ers - Broncos is a more likely super-bowl matchup than Chiefs - Seahawkes