LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 196 users in the forums

Jeff Janis- WR/HB SVSU

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
Yeah, Janis definitely helped his draft stock by showing up big at the combine. He's a [b]dark horse
type, whoever draft him will probably love his work ethic. I hope it's us who drafts him in the 3/4th rounds.

Originally posted by random49er:
I really hope we grab this dude. Plus, I always root extra hard for white wide receivers because they're so rare these days.

lol....do you root for black kickers as well then?

[/b]

A white wide receiver who is a dark horse????

The absurdity of racial thinking strikes again.
Originally posted by buck:
Yeah, Janis definitely helped his draft stock by showing up big at the combine. He's a [b]dark horse
type, whoever draft him will probably love his work ethic. I hope it's us who drafts him in the 3/4th rounds.

Originally posted by random49er:
I really hope we grab this dude. Plus, I always root extra hard for white wide receivers because they're so rare these days.

lol....do you root for black kickers as well then?

[/b]

A white wide receiver who is a dark horse????

The absurdity of racial thinking strikes again.

Lol, come on now. @random49er, if there was a black place kicker or punter Id totally root for them!
Origin of "dark horse" is not racial...but some of these comments have been. I'm assuming tongue in cheek?

Origin: The term began as horse racing parlance for a race horse that is not known to gamblers and thus is difficult to place betting odds on.

"The earliest-known mention of the concept is in Benjamin Disraeli's novel The Young Duke (1831). Disraeli's protagonist, the Duke of St. James, attends a horse race with a surprise finish: 'A dark horse which had never been thought of, and which the careless St. James had never even observed in the list, rushed past the grandstand in sweeping triumph.'"
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Origin of "dark horse" is not racial...but some of these comments have been. I'm assuming tongue in cheek?

Origin: The term began as horse racing parlance for a race horse that is not known to gamblers and thus is difficult to place betting odds on.

"The earliest-known mention of the concept is in Benjamin Disraeli's novel The Young Duke (1831). Disraeli's protagonist, the Duke of St. James, attends a horse race with a surprise finish: 'A dark horse which had never been thought of, and which the careless St. James had never even observed in the list, rushed past the grandstand in sweeping triumph.'"

Thank you. Shorter Oxford English Dictionary??

I was just being, or trying to be, funny. Sorry.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 2, 2014 at 12:31 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Thank you. Shorter Oxford English Dictionary??

I was just being, or trying to be, funny. Sorry.

No problem. I became curious where the term came from so thought I would share. Was pretty sure it wasn't racial but not certain.
Share 49ersWebzone