There are 134 users in the forums

Jeff Janis- WR/HB SVSU

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Dammit, now hes definitely not be there in the 5th or 6th like I had hoped.

Slowly, he is making his way up the draft boards.

Much is going to depend on how he does at the Senior Bowl. I think that he will do well.

If he shows good speed at the combine and does well at the Senior Bowl, he will be a third or fourth round pick.

[ Edited by buck on Dec 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM ]
I really hope we grab this dude. Plus, I always root extra hard for white wide receivers because they're so rare these days.
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Seems more like a big fast receiver. He definitely would be competition for Jon Baldwin next season. I see him doing that before I see him playing the Delanie Walker role unless he puts on more weight.

Why do we need someone to do Delanies old job when Vance is doing great? Vance has been incredible blocking this year, it's on the coaches to get him involved in the passing game. All that said, we need to draft at least 1-2 receivers in the 2014 draft. Early round receivers hopefully, let's hope Baalke does not wait until the 4th round to start thinking WR. That said, I'd love for them to give this dude a chance, could be our Jordy Nelson. Gotta give love to the white receivers, they are a rare breed.

Just getting back to this thread lol. I said he would be competition for Baldwin first and foremost. I still like him as a late round pick.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Hope he smokes the 40.
  • buck
  • Veteran
“Personally, I think the 40 is kind of overrated, but it’s going to be huge,” Janis said in a phone interview. “If I can run a 4.3 something at 220 pounds and at my height (6-foot-2), it doesn’t happen very often. It’s kind of unheard of, so I think that would really make teams really want me.”

As a junior, Janis said he ran the 40 in 4.36 seconds at a pro day event at Saginaw Valley, though it was timed by hand.

The Tawas City native said he’s also run it in 4.39 seconds multiple times when timed electronically.

Anything faster than 4.4 seconds will move Janis up draft boards while a time over 4.5 will hurt his stock.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140219/SPORTS0101/302200018#ixzz2trmnLtC1
Janis killed the combine:
6'3" 220, ran 4.4, his 1.47 10 yd split was faster than any WR. Ran a 4.3 on first try.
37.5" vertical, big, fast, strong, tough, big upside. 9" hands are not large, but also not tiny. Long arms. 20 lifts. 3-cone = 6.64 2nd among all WR at 220 lbs, (3-cone faster than Cooks, Beckham, Lee, and everyone else). 3.98 SS = 6th among WR's.

Ended up in DII because he played his HS senior year with a badly broken finger and a cast (=tough). Hard worker, good attitude. Makes big plays. Great deep threat to loosen up defenses (eg. Seattle). Averaged ~1550 yards and ~19 YPC his last two seasons despite getting double coverage. Haven't seen much film, but definitely a great athlete and potential.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Jeff Janis stands as the Rodney Dangerfield of wide receivers at the 201 Combine.
He just does not get any respect.

Here are the speeds and distances he achieved and how those numbers rank among the speeds and distances of the wide receivers at the combine.

1. 10 yard Split---1.49---(1.50 and 1.47) ---the fastest
2. 40 yard---4.42---4th fastest
3. 3.Cone---6.64---3rd fastest
4. Bench----20---3rd most
5. S. Shuttle---3.98---5th fastest
6. BJ---10'3"---5th longest
7. VJ---37.5"---7th highest

Janis finished in the top 10 in 7 of the measureables recorded for wide receivers at the combine. And six of his recorded measureables were in top 5.

Janis did have one of the best combines of any receiver at the draft.
Yeah, Janis definitely helped his draft stock by showing up big at the combine. He's a dark horse type, whoever draft him will probably love his work ethic. I hope it's us who drafts him in the 3/4th rounds.
Considering whatever WR we pick up will be in battle for the number 3 spot at best (with Quinton Patton), this isn't a bad pick at all. He dominated at his level and showed up at the combine. We could get a possible starter a year or two down the road, along with Herron or another speedster in the later rounds. This deep receiver class will give us a lot of flexibility, so we don't absolutely have to take one in the first.
Has anyone watched extensive film of him? How are his hands? Is he a natural hands catcher or does he let balls get into his body too often? Scouting report on NFL.com says that he doesn't attack the ball and let's it get into his body and has inconsistent hands. I love everything about him, but just don't like that analysis about his hands.

The size, speed, quickness, and production are all what you look for in a receiver. He did play D2, but he produced like he was suppose to, so can't knock him too hard for that.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Has anyone watched extensive film of him? How are his hands? Is he a natural hands catcher or does he let balls get into his body too often? Scouting report on NFL.com says that he doesn't attack the ball and let's it get into his body and has inconsistent hands. I love everything about him, but just don't like that analysis about his hands.

The size, speed, quickness, and production are all what you look for in a receiver. He did play D2, but he produced like he was suppose to, so can't knock him too hard for that.

In the last two years, he played in 23 games. He had 189 receptions for 3207 yards.

He averaged 16.97 yards a catch and averaged 139.43 yards a game.

The talking heads of the internet may question his hands, but his production indicates that he catches the ball.

His hands are small, but that does not mean his hands are bad.

He is known as a hard worker and willing to learn. We should not assume that he cannot improve his skill set.
9 inches isn't that small. Not massive, but by no means small. After all, Crabtree's hands are only 9.25 inches.
Has become the most overblown prospect on the webzone. There's a reason he was considered a late round guy. He's got small hands and is a body catcher. <---that is from people who have actually watched him play football and not just watched him run in underwear. Does he have good measurables, yeah. But the kid was just another guy at the Senior Bowl, didn't use that speed or agility to do anything. Is he moving up draft boards? Somewhat. Instead of a 6-7th, maybe he's moved up to a late 5th-6th. But you guys are hyping him way to much.
Originally posted by K1ngCoopa24:
I really hope we grab this dude. Plus, I always root extra hard for white wide receivers because they're so rare these days.

lol....do you root for black kickers as well then?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Has become the most overblown prospect on the webzone. There's a reason he was considered a late round guy. He's got small hands and is a body catcher. <---that is from people who have actually watched him play football and not just watched him run in underwear. Does he have good measurables, yeah. But the kid was just another guy at the Senior Bowl, didn't use that speed or agility to do anything. Is he moving up draft boards? Somewhat. Instead of a 6-7th, maybe he's moved up to a late 5th-6th. But you guys are hyping him way to much.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/175553-jeff-janis-wr-hb-svsu/page3/#druCyZsfZhEK0YR5.99

I am hyping him. I do not think that he gets enough recognition. I am giving him some.

At the Senior Bowl, Janis held his own against the big boys. He did not do anything great, but which of the receivers did.

Players that come into the NFL almost always have a lot to learn. The talking heads say he is a body catcher.

Vernon Davis had problem, and maybe still does, with being a body catcher.

I think he will be a fourth to fifth round pick, but what he does in the NFL, not where he is drafted, will be interesting to see.

Oh, I will continue to hype him.
Share 49ersWebzone