There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jeff Janis- WR/HB SVSU

  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,466
After nine games, Janis is second among wide receivers eligible for the upcoming draft.

This year he has 60 receptions for 1,89 yards. He is averaging 19.82 yards per reception.

At some point, doubting his potential just because he is a division 2 player, does not make much sense.
He is a great WR, but competition does count for something in scouts eyes. He will have to have an insane combine to go higher than a 5th IMO. Not saying its right, just the way it is. Could be wrong though, all it takes is one team.

Love the kid though.
8 receptions, 230 yards, and 4 TD today. Guy is a man among boys out there. The rest of the WR group for saginaw combined for 4 receptions.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,466
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
He is a great WR, but competition does count for something in scouts eyes. He will have to have an insane combine to go higher than a 5th IMO. Not saying its right, just the way it is. Could be wrong though, all it takes is one team.

Love the kid though.


Without a doubt the level of competition counts, but there is no denying Janis's production.

Janis has size. He has produced. He is fast.

. In my estimation, he would be a solid third or fourth round pick.

In my estimation, he is similar to Jordy Nelson
So I understand this is a little late, but this guy was one of my better friends throughout high school so obviously I want him to be successful with his football career but hear me out.
He did run a 4.32 for his low on his junior pro day but averaged low 4.4. He is only getting faster and stronger. He has the motivation to prove any doubters wrong, and take the guy's position that is slotted above him. He was barely 185 when he arrived to SVSU, but was built like a brick house. I understand so.e might be worried about his size in the NFL, but his athleticism makes up for that and then some. He isn't the guy you will have to worry about in the locker roo., because he is quiet and just gets the job done. He doesn't brag or ahowboat. I have seen this man take some criticism in his life and he has always proved wrong. He is a true gem, and would make a great slot reciever hos first year in the league, and don't be surprised when he is a WR1 somewhere soon.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,466
Originally posted by zachadams40:
So I understand this is a little late, but this guy was one of my better friends throughout high school so obviously I want him to be successful with his football career but hear me out.
He did run a 4.32 for his low on his junior pro day but averaged low 4.4. He is only getting faster and stronger. He has the motivation to prove any doubters wrong, and take the guy's position that is slotted above him. He was barely 185 when he arrived to SVSU, but was built like a brick house. I understand so.e might be worried about his size in the NFL, but his athleticism makes up for that and then some. He isn't the guy you will have to worry about in the locker roo., because he is quiet and just gets the job done. He doesn't brag or ahowboat. I have seen this man take some criticism in his life and he has always proved wrong. He is a true gem, and would make a great slot reciever hos first year in the league, and don't be surprised when he is a WR1 somewhere soon.

Nice to hear from someone who knows the man.

If he averages in the low 4.4s in the 40, he is fast--a 4.32 is beyond fast.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,466
Saginaw Valley's season is over.

His final numbers are 12 games,83 receptions,1,572 yards and 14 receiving touchdowns.

He also had 2 rushing touchdowns this year.
Originally posted by buck:
Nice to hear from someone who knows the man.

If he averages in the low 4.4s in the 40, he is fast--a 4.32 is beyond fast.



Yea like I said, he took a lot of criticism in High School about how he wasn't big, fast, or strong enough to play football at the next level. Granted he played D2, but the GILAC, is one of the better conferences in D2 and still blew away the competition. His vertical is ridiculous, somewhere in the high 30s low 40s. He broke his finger one game in HS, so coach put him at HB, and Jeff scored 5 touchdowns with one arm. Ha! He is a sleeper, and 31 teams this year are going to be unlucky.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Here is a small school kid i really like. Could see him make the transition to HB in the NFL. (im a bit obsessed with finding an HB to fill delanies roll right now, not exactly sure why but why not i guess?)

Late round/UDFA prospect.

6-3 218. Had a 331 yard, 15 reception, 4 TD game against Hillsdale two weeks ago. Has put up real solid numbers the last two seasons. Good athlete. Played basketball and football in high school. Had 100+ receptions last season.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=94124&draftyear=2014&genpos=WR

http://www.mlive.com/cardinals/index.ssf/2013/10/svsu_notebook_defenses_playing.html

http://www.mlive.com/cardinals/index.ssf/2013/08/season_preview_jon_jennings_an.html

http://www.mlive.com/sports/bay-city/index.ssf/2013/04/tawas_area_alum_jeff_janis_rea.html




Whats da name of the song on the highlights ??/ jamming !
Janis is hard to evaluate based strictly on a highlight video. You can tell his physical gifts, but something I was keying on was his route running. I didn't see him have to beat press-man coverage on any of these throws.

That said, his production is stellar, his physical attributes are terrific, and he catches the ball well in traffic and with defenders in his vicinity. He looks tough as well and doesn't appear to be afraid of contact.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,466
Jeff Janis is going to play with the big boys--well, the kids from the big schools.
This should also mean that he will get invited to the combine.



Jeff Janis invited to play in 2014 Senior Bowl

Thirty percent of the NFL is made up of players who competed in the prestigious collegiate all-star game including Colin Kaepernick, Jimmy Graham, Arian Foster, DeMarcus Ware, Russell Wilson and Clay Matthews.

"It's such a great honor," Janis said. "My agent called me two days ago, and asked do you like eating fried fish because that's what they serve down in Mobile. I knew it was a possibility, but it wasn't something I was counting on."

http://www.mlive.com/cardinals/index.ssf/2013/12/svsu_wide_receiver_jeff_janis.html
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,466
In four years at Saginaw Valley State, Jeff Janis has played in 44 games.

He has had 246 receptions for 4,305 yards and 46 touchdowns.

In his career at SVS, he has accounted for 35.77% of the team receiving yards and 42.2% its receiving touchdowns.


In the last two years, his junior and senior year Janis has played in 23 games.

Even though everyone knew he was coming, he had 189 receptions for 3,2076 yards and 31 touchdowns in his last two years.

In his last two years, he had 47.34% of the team's receiving yards and 52.54% of its receiving touchdowns.
[ Edited by buck on Dec 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM ]
thats really impressive!!! With all our extra picks and Comps.... I cant see why we cant give him a roster spot and let some of the other WR's that havent produced walk... Only Boldin should get a contract, let Manningham walk.

Draft a 1st or 2nd round WR, (Lee, Adams, or Matthews)
Draft Montcrief or Beckham JR if he slides to us in 3rd
Trade a few late picks to get Janis in the late 4th

Crabs, Boldin, Patton, (Lee,Adams,Matthews), Montcrief, Janis

2 amazing possession recievers in Boldin and Crabs and size and speed in the rest
I hope we draft this guy. Like him a lot, reminds me of Jordy Nelson quite a bit. I think he could make this team and maybe even contribute a little. He's that speed guy we need running deep posts and go routes and catching those bombs and walking into paydirt.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,436
Dammit, now hes definitely not be there in the 5th or 6th like I had hoped.