LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Ra'Shede Hageman DL Minnesota

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Honestly, I'd love to see the 49ers snag him with their 1st rounder. The athleticism at his size would make him a ferocious DE on the front 7. I don't think they 49ers would place him at NT with a healthy combo of Williams-Dorsey-Dial. Dorsey was rock solid after getting into a groove, Williams was good early, and Dial is still developing so he should only improve. Not to mention Jerod-Eddie is in there as a tweener who can play NT in a pinch as well. I like our DL prospect farm right now.

Going into training camp, how exciting would it be to have the following on the roster battling it out?:

Justin Smith
Ray McDonald
Rashede Hageman
Tony Jerod-Eddie
Ian Williams
Glenn Dorsey
Tank Carradine
Quinton Dial
Mike Purcell (I actually really like this kid as a developing NT prospect, if he doesn't get a shot here, he may get one elsewhere)
Lawrence Okoye

That's 4 starting-caliber veterans. One monster rookie DL. One young DL starting to tap into their potential. One promising youngster with untapped potential. And three strong development guys. I'd be excited for that. Let the best men win to have a dominant rotation, and keep any on the PS that you can for the future. Get it done.

I'd have a very hard time accepting us taking a defensive lineman at 30th overall, but my goodness, what a pick.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I think Dial will be the primary backup. But we only activate 5 on game days, so the new DE wouldn't see the field in year 1. Dial wouldn't of had it not been for injuries. Same for Tank. Ideally we would activate, Justin, Ray Mac, Dorsey, Tank, Dial, and Ian in 2014, with any draft pick being a inactive on sunday's.

With the number of picks that we have in the first three rounds, we have an incredible degree of flexibility in this draft.

The draft is just not about the next year. If I remember correctly Baalke has made this point--and he is in charge of the 40ers draft.

The 49ers draft board will, in great part, determine who we draft in the first.

I would not be surprised if we took a DE in the first three rounds.

Tuitt and Quarles intrigue me the most.
Originally posted by eonblue:
yea I agree on Dial and Tank.

I just wonder where we have room for another DL. Ray Mac, Justin, Dorsey, Ian, Dial and Tank seem locked in, thats 6 guys, so I guess 1 more for a developmental guy, either 3rd round or later. But Hageman is a early round pick right now. I dont see him dropping, unless he tanks it, and shows up in terrible shape at Combine in February.

I dont see him dropping either. I think we need another developmental guy.

Nvninerfan is right. RayMac and Cowboy are not getting younger. I dont mean that as a negative. Its merely an observation. RayMac is going to have bicep surgery and JS has tricep surgery. Clearly theyre playing to much.

A backup in the 2-3rd round gives us a guy that can spell the starters. We dont have another pure DE outside of Tank. Im not counting TJE or Dodd.

Depth chart:

RDE-Smith, Carradine
NT-Dorsey,Williams,Dial
LDE-RayMac, 2014 pick

I mean you could rotate any of the NTs for the DEs while were in the 4-2 but ultimately I want a long term replacement for our ageing starters. Its just a plus that they provide depth and preserve the guys they will one day replace. Maybe this is a late rd pick though. Tomsula made 3rd rounder RayMac into a starter so 3-7 rd pick could probably feel the need.

I think Dial will be the primary backup. But we only activate 5 on game days, so the new DE wouldn't see the field in year 1. Dial wouldn't of had it not been for injuries. Same for Tank. Ideally we would activate, Justin, Ray Mac, Dorsey, Tank, Dial, and Ian in 2014, with any draft pick being a inactive on sunday's.

This makes Dominique Easley an even more appealing prospect. I like what I've seen from Hageman, but I don't see us taking a defensive lineman at the moment with our first pick for "depth."
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This makes Dominique Easley an even more appealing prospect. I like what I've seen from Hageman, but I don't see us taking a defensive lineman at the moment with our first pick for "depth."

I don't see a problem with it at all, I would not be mad. 49ers could have the best defensive line rotation in the NFL next season. We've seen what being deep on the DL has done for Seattle. If you can rotate between Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Tank Carradine, Hageman, Dorsey and Williams, that would monstrous.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 31, 2014 at 9:16 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
With the number of picks that we have in the first three rounds, we have an incredible degree of flexibility in this draft.

The draft is just not about the next year. If I remember correctly Baalke has made this point--and he is in charge of the 40ers draft.

I also don't think its necessarily safe to assume that a rookie wouldn't see the playing field but Dial would. Dial was a late round pick for a reason. If you take a monster like Hageman, you find a way to utilize him.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by xcfan:
in the interview i saw, he sounded unintelligent. it's nice to have a mentally sharp player.

By that same token, there's a whole lot of players who should never have been drafted. Football intelligence doesn't require one to be well-spoken, nor do you have to possess a large degree of book smarts.

What he's saying in that we probably should've passed on Frank Gore in 2005. Did you hear him speak back then?

ok, you got me...
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I just don't see taking DL early when:

- Ian Williams comes back from injury in 2014
- TJE really stepped up and played well at DE and NT
- Dial and Carradine will be at 100% at the start of camp.

So right now, we have the following depth chart entering training camp:

LE: Smith/Carradine/Okoye
NT: Dorsey/Williams/Purcell/Tupou
RE: McDonald/TJE/Dial

I really don't see the justification of an early round draft pick when the depth and talent looks pretty damn good.
Originally posted by GEEK:
I just don't see taking DL early when:

- Ian Williams comes back from injury in 2014
- TJE really stepped up and played well at DE and NT
- Dial and Carradine will be at 100% at the start of camp.

So right now, we have the following depth chart entering training camp:

LE: Smith/Carradine/Okoye
NT: Dorsey/Williams/Purcell/Tupou
RE: McDonald/TJE/Dial

I really don't see the justification of an early round draft pick when the depth and talent looks pretty damn good.

When you have a shot at a monster like Hageman, you don't pass it up because of Tony Jerod-Eddie or Quinton Dial. I'm not expecting them to go DL, but if they did, I would be neither shocked nor disappointed.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by buck:

I also don't think its necessarily safe to assume that a rookie wouldn't see the playing field but Dial would. Dial was a late round pick for a reason. If you take a monster like Hageman, you find a way to utilize him.

I agree--not making that assumption.
This is a guy that i wouldnt be mad at if we took, even though hes not exactly a need, i certainly wouldnt mind taking a Dlineman with his potential at the end of the first. There are two things you can never have too many of in the nfl, Dline, and Oline.

But we are really deep at Dline right now. I guess it would really depend on how the first round falls, and how it goes with resigning our guys in the secondary.

is this cats value slipping?
like i mentioned in another thread, as much as i do like Hageman, i'd much prefer trading up for DB help by grabbing either HaHa, Gilbert, or Dennard. Our D-line rotation is pretty good, and unlike Seattle, our linebackers are the terror of our defense.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Keep hearing about how we are pretty set or good enough on d line.i want unstoppable
Originally posted by bors:
Keep hearing about how we are pretty set or good enough on d line.i want unstoppable

Yup. I don't know why people are content with Jerod Eddie, Dobbs, and Dial as our depth. I want guys that just get after it and dominate. Guys with a knack for getting to the QB and who are explosive. We need more than just Aldon. Brooks, Justin Smith, Skuta, and Lemonier are all decent to good at getting to the QB. Carradine should add to that mix, but we need one or two more guys. Seattle has an abundance of pass rushers and always has fresh legs going in and getting after the QB. That's a good formula right there that we need to use.
You have to draft great players, regardless of position. I am not a fan of Hageman because question his love for the game. All the physical tools are there, but he is maddenly inconsistent.
Share 49ersWebzone