There are 237 users in the forums

Jalen Saunders WR Oklahoma

Like the idea of adding this kid. He offers something a bit differant to the WR core. Discuss

5'9 and 164 POUNDS, lighter than Tavon Austin yet he wishes he had Tavon Austin's athleticism. Once again, not sure what you see in this guy, it'd be one thing if he had tremendous deep speed, he doesn't. He's extremely light, even for a slot receiver, if you're looking for a slot guy, Campanaro is a far better choice. He also isn't much as a vertical threat.

I guess IMO if you add a guy that small, he'd better be able to fly past everyone else right off the line and Sanders can't do that, he has short area quickness and explosiveness but considering that Patton or Boldin can both play in the slot, I think a true deep threat is more of a need than an extremely undersized slot receiver.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM ]
Not big on Hobbits anymore.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
5'9 and 164 POUNDS, lighter than Tavon Austin yet he wishes he had Tavon Austin's athleticism. Once again, not sure what you see in this guy, it'd be one thing if he had tremendous deep speed, he doesn't. He's extremely light, even for a slot receiver, if you're looking for a slot guy, Campanaro is a far better choice. He also isn't much as a vertical threat.

I guess IMO if you add a guy that small, he'd better be able to fly past everyone else right off the line and Sanders can't do that, he has short area quickness and explosiveness but considering that Patton or Boldin can both play in the slot, I think a true deep threat is more of a need than an extremely undersized slot receiver.

Once again, two articles that i found in a simple google search about his speed. I would not be suprised in the slightest if he outruns Herron.

http://bulldogbounce.blogspot.com/2010/08/position-breakdown-2010-wide-receivers.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1180112-oklahoma-football-what-you-need-to-know-about-transfer-wr-jalen-saunders

Sure his size could be an issue, but for all the talk about size, the kid has been durable throughout his career, and never shys from contact.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Once again, two articles that i found in a simple google search about his speed. I would not be suprised in the slightest if he outruns Herron.

http://bulldogbounce.blogspot.com/2010/08/position-breakdown-2010-wide-receivers.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1180112-oklahoma-football-what-you-need-to-know-about-transfer-wr-jalen-saunders

Sure his size could be an issue, but for all the talk about size, the kid has been durable throughout his career, and never shys from contact.

Blog articles are your source material? I'm telling you,he's a 4.5-4.6 guy all the way, watching him out on the field doesn't lie, I don't know of anyone who sees him as a deep threat type receiver. I've seen him caught and dragged down from behind enough to know that if he really truly has 4.3 speed, he doesn't play like it.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM ]

Blog articles are your source material? I'm telling you,he's a 4.5-4.6 guy all the way, watching him out on the field doesn't lie, I don't know of anyone who sees him as a deep threat type receiver. I've seen him caught and dragged down from behind enough to know that if he really truly has 4.3 speed, he doesn't play like it.

Im providing material for you. You can tell me all you want he is a 4.5-4.6 guy, but your wrong, flat out wrong. I find it funny you bring up my "source material" while always making staements like " i dont know anyone that sees him as a deep threat Wr" WTF does that even mean? My material is having seen him IN PERSON. How much have you actually watched him Phoenix? Be 100% honest. FWIW i have seen Herron play IN PERSON as well.

Since you like bets so much, and you are so insistant that he is "average" speed, how about this, Name change bet, he runs a sub 4.5 and you change your name, if he doesnt i change my name. Otherwise your just blowing smoke about his speed.

Aawww u dont like tha midgets now lol
Im providing material for you. You can tell me all you want he is a 4.5-4.6 guy, but your wrong, flat out wrong. I find it funny you bring up my "source material" while always making staements like " i dont know anyone that sees him as a deep threat Wr" WTF does that even mean? My material is having seen him IN PERSON. How much have you actually watched him Phoenix? Be 100% honest. FWIW i have seen Herron play IN PERSON as well.

Since you like bets so much, and you are so insistant that he is "average" speed, how about this, Name change bet, he runs a sub 4.5 and you change your name, if he doesnt i change my name. Otherwise your just blowing smoke about his speed.

Deal.

I actaully watched this guy quite a bit when he was at Fresno State. He seemed fast. I would guess hes a 4.4s kind of guy.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

I actaully watched this guy quite a bit when he was at Fresno State. He seemed fast. I would guess hes a 4.4s kind of guy.

Like i said, in practice, he always hung with Wylie, who ran a 4.39. He is certainly a sub 4.5 40 runner.

Deal.

You got it, Mr. "49ersMVPmanlove". Has a nice ring to it.

Kyle Williams is a 4.4 kind of guy, but I wouldn't label him as a deep threat either. Saunders has always seemed more quick than fast to me, a guy who gets separation, has lightning quick feet, but not someone a defense will put a safety over the top on.

Kyle Williams is a 4.4 kind of guy, but I wouldn't label him as a deep threat either. Saunders has always seemed more quick than fast to me, a guy who gets separation, has lightning quick feet, but not someone a defense will put a safety over the top on.

At this point I wouldn't be a big fan of the 49ers drafting him. If we are going to draft a guy at that size, he needs to be an absolute playmaker with blazing speed. Saunders is fast and like I said looks like a 4.4 kind of guy, but that's not going to scare any defenses in the NFL. Might not mind him later in the draft, but I wouldn't look at him as the answer for our deep threat.

Deal.

Kind of a side note, but we can change our username on this forum?
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

Deal.

Kind of a side note, but we can change our username on this forum?

No.
Share 49ersWebzone