There are 192 users in the forums

Darqueze Dennard-CB-Michigan State

Originally posted by Scoots:
He got charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct last offseason and OVI just recently. He says both didn't happen, but they are still red flags for the 49ers.

He wasn't charged with an OVI.

...but back to Dennard: he'll be a bust.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Apr 27, 2014 at 12:02 PM ]
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
He wasn't charged with an OVI.

...but back to Dennard: he'll be a bust.

Because he doesn't have "long" arms? You spend all this time defending Roby who looked silly at times out on the field this past season. If anything I'd say he has far more bust potential than Dennard. Measurables and athleticism don't mean much when you have two hamsters playing cricket upstairs.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Because he doesn't have "long" arms? You spend all this time defending Roby who looked silly at times out on the field this past season. If anything I'd say he has far more bust potential than Dennard. Measurables and athleticism don't mean much when you have two hamsters playing cricket upstairs.

So Roby has no brains because he's been arrested or disorderly conduct & assault? Tyrann Matthieu was literally a drug addict, and people couldn't stop talking about how great a pick he was (before his injury). Janoris Jenkins made Roby look like a choir boy, and he's working out great for the Rams.

I'll take the guy with far superior talent who's extremely quick & violent over the guy who holds every other play to be able to keep up with the crappy WRs he covered this season.
So Roby has no brains because he's been arrested or disorderly conduct & assault? Tyrann Matthieu was literally a drug addict, and people couldn't stop talking about how great a pick he was (before his injury). Janoris Jenkins made Roby look like a choir boy, and he's working out great for the Rams.

I didn't say brains because he was arrested, I said he looked lost out on the football field at times. The guy seemed to lack fire, he didn't seem to have that chip on his shoulder that all great CB's play with. He lost focus and got lit up as a result. You see Tarzan, I see Jane.

Dennard on the other hand played his ass off and was dominant, made a lot of plays and never once got beat up on the way Roby did.

"I'll take the guy with far superior talent who's extremely quick & violent over the guy who holds every other play to be able to keep up with the crappy WRs he covered this season."

I'll take the guy who actually performed out on the football consistently this past season and wasn't looking up at the video screen, scratching his head and wondering just how his guy managed to blow right past him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 27, 2014 at 2:22 PM ]
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Revis ran a 4.38 at his pro day and ran a 6.56 3 cone and 4.08 shuttle. His arms were 32 3/8" which is pretty good for a corner and he was roughly 5'11.5 and bigger than Dennard. He was a similar athlete to Gilbert and has very good hips. He is known as a technician, but is (was) an elite athlete on top of that. Sherman is 6'3 with 32" arms. He has been successful as a press corner because of his size, length, and ball skills in addition to his technique and ability to read receivers' routes.

Dennard's upside is nowhere near those guys. I'm not sure he should be a first round pick and plenty of analysts are coming around to that school of thought which is why he's being ranked as the 5th corner and not invited to the draft.

Dennard was invited to the draft, he declined so he could stay with his family. Most analysts and draft sites still have Dennard as the #1 CB in the draft and its simply because the guy performed, he made plays, he doesn't have the size or measurables of some others but he has the best football instincts of any CB in this draft. Amazing awareness and vision that allows him to get away with average athleticism.
Phoenix ... "Most analysts and draft site still have Dennard as the #1 CB" ... that means more than 50% of them collectively ... I just don't see anything CLOSE to that consensus. For instance, I randomly picked 20 of these http://walterfootball.com/draftdata.php ... and found that in 20 out of 20 Gilbert was the first corner drafted ... I know not all of those mock drafts are by professional analysts but you included "draft sites" in your statement so I think the test is reasonable. Can you show me where your "most" comes from?
Originally posted by Scoots:
Phoenix ... "Most analysts and draft site still have Dennard as the #1 CB" ... that means more than 50% of them collectively ... I just don't see anything CLOSE to that consensus. For instance, I randomly picked 20 of these http://walterfootball.com/draftdata.php ... and found that in 20 out of 20 Gilbert was the first corner drafted ... I know not all of those mock drafts are by professional analysts but you included "draft sites" in your statement so I think the test is reasonable. Can you show me where your "most" comes from?

I meant, most real analysts. I don't consider WalterFootball or Bleacher Report to be credible at all.

ESPN Scouts Inc has Dennard as their #1 CB, Mayock has Dennard as his #1 CB, McShay has Dennard as his #1 CB, CBS has him as their #2 CB......I'm not seeing where analyst's are ranking him 5th like the other poster stated.
I know Mel Kiper, who is part of ESPN, also has him as #1.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/04/mel_kiper_michigan_states_darq.html

"He's a Steeler. Rough, tough, aggressive football player, plays with a chip on his shoulder, very good in coverage, plays faster than he timed. Just a whale of a football player."
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Apr 27, 2014 at 2:47 PM ]
"I think the ideal pick if you're the Steelers is Darqueze Dennard," Kiper said. "He's a Steeler. Rough, tough, aggressive football player, plays with a chip on his shoulder, very good in coverage, plays faster than he timed. Just a whale of a football player."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/04/mel_kiper_michigan_states_darq.html

He sounds a lot like an ideal 49er too.
Because he doesn't have "long" arms?

Short arms don't help you when you're bad at tackling in the open field (also an indication of bad balance / quickness):

[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Apr 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM ]

Isn't DD regarded as one of the better open field tacklers in the draft?

"Physical and reliable open-field tackler who wraps his arms to secure the stop."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1785846/darqueze-dennard
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Apr 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM ]
I said he looked lost out on the football field at times.

This looks pretty lost to me:

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Because he doesn't have "long" arms?

Short arms don't help you when you're bad at tackling in the open field (also an indication of bad balance / quickness):

I don't think that has any thing to do with having short arms, that looks more like a bad angle. Getting back to coverage though......
This looks pretty lost to me:

That look's like cover 3 or quarters. need to see the play.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Apr 27, 2014 at 3:06 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I don't think that has any thing to do with having short arms, that looks more like a bad angle. Getting back to coverage though......

Long arms help a lot when tackling in the open field. Ask Aldon Smith. When they have momentum & you're coming from a long way away, sometimes all you can do is catch the guy's leg or foot with one hand.
Share 49ersWebzone