LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Darqueze Dennard-CB-Michigan State

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I would rather have a Sherman type than anybody else. Can you not say the same? Look at the last play. He bats that ball because he is tall with super long arms. He can reach it at 6'3" with very long arms. A shorter DB might not reach it. Which makes a difference in the game.

Except he doesn't have super long arms, for his height, his length is actually average, only 32 inches.

Unless the 49ers are going to start playing the same sort of pass interference on every play type system, their best bet is a high quality cover guy that can play equally well in man or zone coverage. Dennard is the type of player that you can leave the other team's best receiver on an island and not worry about it. As a replacement for Brown, he might very well be an improvement with his skills. Terrific player that I think may wind up in the Top 10 even after all is said and done.
I hope we grab him or Gilbert round 1.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
9ers gonna have to trade up for this playmaker.

Carlos Rogers is a goner and it looks like my man-crush for Jarvis Landry will be gone with the wind.

I have a feeling they are going to trade up for a corner and get a WR in the 2nd round (or trade back into 1st who knows) this draft is hella deep in receivers and I'm betting we let Brown/Wright walk and either cut or trade Rogers making CB the priority heading into the draft.
I hope he slips in the draft to around the 18-22 range. It looks like there are some who rate Gilbert as the #1 corner, so this might help Dennard drop to spot where we could potentially trade up to get him.
  • WiL7
  • Veteran
What is the majority opinion on this guy?? I've been doing a bunch of Fanspeak.com mock drafts and he slips to us at 30. I think he would be a solid pick for us, and a solid slot corner. Thoughts??
No chance in hell for this guy -- his arm length, 30 and 1/4 inches! Way too short for Baalke's taste. Small hands too at barely 9'.
i like the way he plays. aggressive, physical, and really sticks to the receivers, but his speed is in question
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
New video out there.

Originally posted by WiL7:
What is the majority opinion on this guy?? I've been doing a bunch of Fanspeak.com mock drafts and he slips to us at 30. I think he would be a solid pick for us, and a solid slot corner. Thoughts??

I don't know about other people but I see him as the best CB in the draft. Others may have more impressive measurable but this guy gets it done out on the football field during games consistently. Strong leader out on the football field, tough, extremely competitive, doesn't get beat very often but when he does he shows a vary short memory and comes back strong.

He was the clear #1 CB when the season ended. Don't let all the workouts and measurables fool you. He's probably the best cover man in the draft. If he slides, we be lucky to draft him. I can't remember the last time we had a CB with his talent.

Just look what our mid-late round CBs have done for us over the years.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't know about other people but I see him as the best CB in the draft. Others may have more impressive measurable but this guy gets it done out on the football field during games consistently. Strong leader out on the football field, tough, extremely competitive, doesn't get beat very often but when he does he shows a vary short memory and comes back strong.

D. Dennard, D. Buchanon and L. Joyner in the first three rounds and I would be ecstatic.
Well it sounds like his stock is going wayyyy down, he might be there for us at 30! That would be a steal in my mind. That being said Baalke has never drafted a CB in the 1st and if we do move up in the draft it will most likely be for a WR....Hopefully Beckham or Evans
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Well it sounds like his stock is going wayyyy down, he might be there for us at 30! That would be a steal in my mind. That being said Baalke has never drafted a CB in the 1st and if we do move up in the draft it will most likely be for a WR....Hopefully Beckham or Evans

Starting cornerback>>>>.#3 or #4 WR.

To be fair, if we draft a WR in the first, that prospect would likely be expected to be a #1 or #2 down the road. He will be the 3rd or 4th WR this year, but the draft is usually about the future more than the present. Boldin and Crabtree are not in their long term plans imo.
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 13, 2014 at 12:15 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:

To be fair, if we draft a WR in the first, that prospect would likely be expected to be a #1 or #2 down the road. He will be the 3rd or 4th WR this year, but the draft is usually about the future more than the present. Boldin and Crabtree are not in their long term plans imo.

Very true especially if Crabtree gets injured again we have NO depth at the WR position after those Crabtree and Boldin. CB our defense is legit our offense is NOT
Share 49ersWebzone