There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The WR Sleepers Thread

Instead of making a separate thread, here are some sleepers, smaller school and otherwise, who I am keeping an eye on, prospects that you may find interesting.

Ify Umodu-6'2", 210-Northern Arizona University. He's had injury issues that have kept him out of action so far this season and kept him from moving up any further. He's a dual sport guy, football and basketball. With that in mind, he has the sort of leaping ability and wide catching radius that you may expect. Good physical receiver, a good YAC guy too.

Je'Ron Hamm-6'3", 230-Louisiana-Monroe. For all those who want BIGGER wide receivers, Hamm is about as big as it gets. He's also a possibility as an H-back type, has a well developed body with some room to grow. He's improved year by year and presents a big physical target, a possession receiver for sure but one with solid, reliable hands who runs solid routes and attacks the ball with ferocity when it is in the air.
Gerald Ford-6'3", 210-Valdosta State. Had a monster 2012 season, won several awards, is a nicely talented receiver with better than ideal size and a big play threat down the field. One of the best small school WR's in the nation.
Matt Hazel-6'2", 200-Coastal Carolina. Outstanding small school WR, great route runner, terrific hands, looks to be a possession receiver at the next level, doesn't have the greatest speed but runs very smooth, precise routes.
DJ Coles-6'4", 235-Virginia Tech. Monster VT receiver, has been plagued with injury issues. He essentially hasn't played in about 2 years considering how limited his 2012 season is, to make it worse, he came in out of shape to start the season. He's an interesting prospect because of his size but a guy who will very likely go undrafted, still would be worth a look in the preseason.
Chris Boyd-6'4", 210-Vanderbilt. Another big, physical Vanderbilt receiver. Not as physical as Matthews but looks to have better overall speed. A high quality WR in his own right, well built, allows the ball to get into his body a bit too often but is pretty reliable as a receiver. Has tremendous balance and attacks the ball in the air, uses his size and length well to keep the defensive back away.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM ]
wow no midgets
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
wow no midgets

Not really a sleeper anymore but Antwan Goodley of Baylor has blown up this year after starting the year as an unknown. He's only a redshirt Jr. though, but may declare.

Jeremy Johnson, SMU
Ryan Grant, Tulane
Alex Amidon, Boston College
Alex Neutz, Buffalo
Bernard Reedy, Toledo
Jeff Janis, Saginaw Valley State
Another guy I like is Michael Campanaro out of Wake Forest. A smaller, hyper-competitive, very tough slot receiver in the mold of an Amendola. He looks like he can be a heck of a slot guy in the NFL, runs very precise routes, isn't afraid to go over the middle, highly intelligent, finds weak spots in the defense, decent prospect overall. He's a Belichick player if I ever saw one, hard working, studious, versatile, terrific hands to go along with a no-fear attitude and a running back's vision.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Brelan Chancellor North Texas 5-9 185

6 games 27 receptions for 397 yards (an average of 14.7 yards per catch)

He has 9 punt returns for 177 yards-19.67 yards per punt return.
Chancellor is 3rd in the nation in punt return average.

He has 12 kick off returns for 379 yards--an average of 31.58 yards per kick off return.

Chancellor is 7th in the nation in kick-off return average, but among draft eligible players, he is 3rd in the nation.

Among FBS players, Chancellor is 10th in the nation in all purpose yards.
[ Edited by buck on Oct 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Shaq Evans from UCLA is probably a sleeper, haven't heard much "next level buzz" about him though.

6-1 210+

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/480216/shaquelle-evans

2013 current stats
20 receptions
289 yards
14.5 YPC
4 TDs

projected
52 receptions
751 yards
10 TDs

2012 stats
60 receptions
877 yards
14.6 YPC
3 TDs

also some reps at punt returner
8 returns
115 Yards
36 long

projected
21 returns
299 yards
14.3 YPR

8 returns
85 yards
10.6 YPR
43 long
What's with all the huge dudes? If there is a desean jackson type of player I would love to have him.
Love the Big receivers. Tired of weak small guys who can't get separation.

That's a lot of work Phoenix - thanks.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Love the Big receivers. Tired of weak small guys who can't get separation.

That's a lot of work Phoenix - thanks.

T.Y. Hilton (5'9", 183lbs) got plenty of separation against Seattle's "Legion of Boom".

DeSean Jackson (5'10" 175lbs) routinely separates from DB's and is the #1 fantasy receiver so far (Non PPR).

I could go on listing good WR's who are small in stature (Welker, Cruz, Antonio Brown, Reggie Wayne, Randall Cobb), but I won't (Oops, I just did).

Remember, it's not the size of the gun, it's the gunner!
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
T.Y. Hilton (5'9", 183lbs) got plenty of separation against Seattle's "Legion of Boom".

DeSean Jackson (5'10" 175lbs) routinely separates from DB's and is the #1 fantasy receiver so far (Non PPR).

I could go on listing good WR's who are small in stature (Welker, Cruz, Antonio Brown, Reggie Wayne, Randall Cobb), but I won't (Oops, I just did).

THIS. Size can be so overrated.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

Route-running skills are crucial, but in the 49ers case, so is speed. They need a major deep threat, a guy like Hilton who can essentially get past his coverage and get wide open downfield. When an offense has a player like that and a QB with a strong arm to get the ball downfield, the defense has to base a large portion of its strategy on containing that threat, focusing on that opens up other areas of the field. Right now 49ers don't have that type of deep threat at receiver. I don't care if he's tall or short, I just want someone with ridiculous wheels and solid route running ability.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Not really a sleeper anymore but Antwan Goodley of Baylor has blown up this year after starting the year as an unknown. He's only a redshirt Jr. though, but may declare.

Jeremy Johnson, SMU
Ryan Grant, Tulane
Alex Neutz, Buffalo
Bernard Reedy, Toledo

I like Goodley, he's got retarded measurables and super strong legs, very hard to take down in the open field, he's got some Boldin to his game. Had a huge game yesterday. He's pretty raw, has a lot of work to do, very limited route tree, erratic hands but freakish potential.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 20, 2013 at 8:33 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Jeremy Johnson, SMU
Ryan Grant, Tulane
Alex Neutz, Buffalo
Bernard Reedy, Toledo

I like Goodley, he's got retarded measurables and super strong legs, very hard to take down in the open field, he's got some Boldin to his game. Had a huge game yesterday. He's pretty raw, has a lot of work to do, very limited route tree, erratic hands but freakish potential.

Yeah Goodley has definitely exploded onto the scene. Everyone knew Reese would be Baylor's main target, but Goodley has actually taken that from him. Both Reese and Goodley are guys I wouldn't mind drafting. Goodley is really intriguing, he's only 5'10 but about 225 but fast and powerful. I don't know if he'll come out this year, but he'd be a guy to keep an eye on.

On another note, Baylor is producing some crazy amount of WRs. Think of the guys currently in the NFL and the potential on the roster:
Josh Gordon
Kendall Wright
Terrance Williams
Tevin Reese
Antwan Goodley
Robbie Rhodes
Not sure if a "sleeper"

But I'm really digging L'Damian Washington, 6-4, 205lbs, Mizzou

Tall, lanky, great speed, body control, great hands etc.