There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Robert Herron-WR-Wyoming

Looks great in that video but how does he fit our offensive scheme? 3rd and long and our 1 WR set where the wideout runs deep decoy our the only times I see the 49ers using him. Because of the 9ers offensive philosphy probably won't draft him til late in the 3rd after they have already selected a WR.
Didn't know much about him until I saw him in one of your mocks Phoenix. After watching him, I'm sold on spending a third on him.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Looks great in that video but how does he fit our offensive scheme? 3rd and long and our 1 WR set where the wideout runs deep decoy our the only times I see the 49ers using him. Because of the 9ers offensive philosphy probably won't draft him til late in the 3rd after they have already selected a WR.

I'll assume your 1-WR set on 3rd and long was sarcasm, but sadly it's not too far from the truth. I definitely think our slot WRs are incredibly underutilized, especially in that situation even though your best chance of beating teams on 3rd and long is with your slot WR (usually matched up against their 3rd best cover guy).

A more interesting scenario is to get someone like Herron, Richardson, Moncrief, etc., who can stretch the field vertically on the outside, then run Boldin in the slot to that side and watch him abuse nickel CBs. That's something I'd like to see....but with our 1950's offense, I'm not sure we ever will.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 12, 2014 at 1:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Agree with all of this... but are we even a team that will utilize such a deep threat? would he be just a decoy that defenses bother to cover over the top? Kaep sure has a cannon, but.... well... forget the rest...

Even as a decoy he has value because let's face it, who else do the 49ers have at WR who presents that sort of downfield threat? I do think if he developed chemistry with Kaepernick, that could make for some explosive offense plays, a guy like that who can get behind a defense and Kaepernick with a cannon for an arm, it would be a scary new element added to the 49ers offense.

And this is the chess match that is football. It would be nice to have a real deep threat out there that would make teams keep both of their safeties deep. Good route design and connecting on those deep passes from time to time opens up things for everyone, including the running backs.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

I'm honestly not sure of what our philosophy is in the passing game. For three years, we've seen three different offenses. Now it could be because of available personnel, but whatever the reason, it there isn't any true philosophy that I see consistently over these last three seasons.
It's been a long time since we've had a burner who could actually catch the football...I'd love to see them get Beckham or Cooks, but not sure they'll be willing to spend an early pick to do it. Interesting to note it was smaller, quick WR's that gave Sherman the most problems last season. The really good ones get off the LOS so fast the CB's have a hard time altering their routes.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It's been a long time since we've had a burner who could actually catch the football...I'd love to see them get Beckham or Cooks, but not sure they'll be willing to spend an early pick to do it. Interesting to note it was smaller, quick WR's that gave Sherman the most problems last season. The really good ones get off the LOS so fast the CB's have a hard time altering their routes.

I think with one of our two seconds or the first third we can get someone that fits that mold.
ESPN/Scouting Inc Report on Herron. So much want.

Intangibles-1-Well respected and liked by teammates and coaches. Outgoing personality. Loves the game. Outstanding work ethic. Vocal leader that also leads by example as well.

Separation Skills-2-Excellent combination of quickness and speed. Above-average feel for routes and works defenders in stem. Quick transition out of breaks to create separation. However, can do a better job of sticking cuts at times. Uncovers well against zone coverage. Quick feet and hands to gain clean release against press.

Ball Skills-3-Average to above-average ball skills. Limited catching radius. Flashes a natural pluck away from frame but will also allow ball into frame on occasion. Flexible and smooth athlete that displays above-average body control adjusting to throws. Tracks the ball naturally over the shoulder.

Big play ability-2-Quick starter that has a 5th gear to run by defenders and stretch the field vertically. Good leaping ability but lacks the size and strength to consistently win one-on-one downfield battles. Silky smooth after the catch. Flashes ability to maneuver out of traffic and has the top-end speed to hit the homerun.

Competitiveness-2-Fearless working the middle of the field from the slot. Above-average focus in traffic. Strong field awareness and work to find open area off of a broken play. Determined runner that fights for yards. Gives good effort as a run blocker. Not an overpowering blocker but works to sustain blocks.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 19, 2014 at 3:43 PM ]
  • DeUh

Crazy how 2 different scouts can see a player sometimes.

Source NFL.com

Overview
Two-time honorable mention All-MWC (2012-13) selection. 2013: Started all 12 games. Led team with nine receiving touchdowns and was second on the team with 72 receptions and 937 yards. 2012: Played in and started eight games. Missed four games due to a shin injury. 2011: Played in 12 of 13 games with eight starts. 2010: Played in 10 of 12 games with one start.

Strengths
Good athlete. Exceptional straight-line timed speed -- can accelerate and get on top of DBs vertically. Quick-footed. Above-average hands. Has return capability (despite not being used as a returner because of offensive value).

Weaknesses
Does not play fast. Marginal toughness -- does not like crossing the middle or extending across his frame. Drifts in his routes. Short-arms the ball. Does not adjust to or track the deep ball well. Lacks physical strength and is jarred on contact after the catch. Carries the ball loosely. Disinterested blocker, especially on the backside. Regularly matched up vs. inferior competition. Has been dinged a lot and long-term durability is a concern.

Draft Projection Rounds 5-6

Bottom Line
Very diminutive, outside receiver with the timed speed to threaten the field vertically and potentially contribute in the return game. Needs to prove he can bow up against better competition and is more than a track athlete.

-Nolan Nawrocki
[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 19, 2014 at 4:43 PM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:

Source NFL.com

Overview
Two-time honorable mention All-MWC (2012-13) selection. 2013: Started all 12 games. Led team with nine receiving touchdowns and was second on the team with 72 receptions and 937 yards. 2012: Played in and started eight games. Missed four games due to a shin injury. 2011: Played in 12 of 13 games with eight starts. 2010: Played in 10 of 12 games with one start.

Strengths
Good athlete. Exceptional straight-line timed speed -- can accelerate and get on top of DBs vertically. Quick-footed. Above-average hands. Has return capability (despite not being used as a returner because of offensive value).

Weaknesses
Does not play fast. Marginal toughness -- does not like crossing the middle or extending across his frame. Drifts in his routes. Short-arms the ball. Does not adjust to or track the deep ball well. Lacks physical strength and is jarred on contact after the catch. Carries the ball loosely. Disinterested blocker, especially on the backside. Regularly matched up vs. inferior competition. Has been dinged a lot and long-term durability is a concern.

Bottom Line
Very diminutive, outside receiver with the timed speed to threaten the field vertically and potentially contribute in the return game. Needs to prove he can bow up against better competition and is more than a track athlete.

-Nolan Nawrocki

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/february/extended-painful-nfl-draft-season-opens-with-nolan-nawrocki-s-annual-troll-venture.html

Nolan Nawrocki is like the Punxsutawney Phil of the football world. Ignored all year until he suddenly emerges each February, usually to piss everyone off. The former senior editor at Pro Football Weekly, who is now at NFL.com, unofficially ushers in draft hype season on an annual basis by throwing at least one promising quarterback prospect under the bus in exaggerated, sensational fashion.

You may remember what he did to Cam Newton in 2011, when a scouting report turned into what felt like a personal attack. Last year, he blasted Geno Smith in somewhat similar fashion. This year, he's going after Johnny Manziel, who is of course an easy target based on his lack of prototypical quarterback measurements and his off-the-field image.

It's nice when media types tell it like it is, but there's a difference between doing that and saying things merely for the sake of saying things. It's clear at this point that Nawrocki relies on anonymous second-hand sources, potentially with agendas and axes to grind. We give him attention each year at this time because he works for a major outlet and goes where few others do, but the analysis itself is lacking so dearly that it's kind of an indictment on our sports media culture that he continues to get attention.

Of course, we won't stop anytime soon. Nawrocki is the draft's version of Skip Bayless. He's a shock jock. He entertains us because he's extreme, and I suppose we crave that. It's unfortunate, because it's not likely to disappear. Even if Nawrocki eventually disappears and stops using cherrypicked sources to draw broad, unfair conclusions about specific prospects, someone else will be there to replace him.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 19, 2014 at 5:00 PM ]
I personally take Nawrocki's opinion with a grain of salt and prefer to see what others might be saying about Herron as well as see for myself.
Originally posted by DeUh:

Source NFL.com

Overview

Strengths

Weaknesses

Bottom Line

-Nolan Nawrocki

No comparison between Scouting Inc and Nawrocki, one I've found to be consistently reliable in terms of their player rankings, the other should be heavily medicated and made to wear a straitjacket.
He looks to be the same size as Kyle Williams and run and play about the same way. If he can hang on to the ball on returns and be smarter on the field, he would be better than Kyle Williams.
  • DeUh
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/february/extended-painful-nfl-draft-season-opens-with-nolan-nawrocki-s-annual-troll-venture.html

Nolan Nawrocki is like the Punxsutawney Phil of the football world. Ignored all year until he suddenly emerges each February, usually to piss everyone off. The former senior editor at Pro Football Weekly, who is now at NFL.com, unofficially ushers in draft hype season on an annual basis by throwing at least one promising quarterback prospect under the bus in exaggerated, sensational fashion.

You may remember what he did to Cam Newton in 2011, when a scouting report turned into what felt like a personal attack. Last year, he blasted Geno Smith in somewhat similar fashion. This year, he's going after Johnny Manziel, who is of course an easy target based on his lack of prototypical quarterback measurements and his off-the-field image.

It's nice when media types tell it like it is, but there's a difference between doing that and saying things merely for the sake of saying things. It's clear at this point that Nawrocki relies on anonymous second-hand sources, potentially with agendas and axes to grind. We give him attention each year at this time because he works for a major outlet and goes where few others do, but the analysis itself is lacking so dearly that it's kind of an indictment on our sports media culture that he continues to get attention.

Of course, we won't stop anytime soon. Nawrocki is the draft's version of Skip Bayless. He's a shock jock. He entertains us because he's extreme, and I suppose we crave that. It's unfortunate, because it's not likely to disappear. Even if Nawrocki eventually disappears and stops using cherrypicked sources to draw broad, unfair conclusions about specific prospects, someone else will be there to replace him.

That is so on point !

To make it clear i think Herron is a heck of a player. Just thought it would be funny to see Nawrocki strike again.
[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 19, 2014 at 6:04 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He looks to be the same size as Kyle Williams and run and play about the same way. If he can hang on to the ball on returns and be smarter on the field, he would be better than Kyle Williams.

Herron is a better overall receiver, better as a route runner, much more fluid with better hands and a lot faster to boot. Comparing guys simply based on their size is fallacious. Williams was never a good route runner, its one of the reasons he struggled in the NFL in spite of having some pretty good athletic ability. He was 5'10" but ran pretty imprecise routes that telegraphed to defenders where he was going. From the time he was at ASU all the way into the NFL, that was a major knock on him. Herron is a lot more fluid, much better as a receiver which would explain why Williams was a 6th rounder and Herron will be gone by the end of the 3rd round.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM ]