LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

Robert Herron-WR-Wyoming

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by DVDA:
He doesn't have bad hands, I think his drops are due to focus. When he is focused, like this week, he is one hell of a receiver. I think he his ceiling is Steve Smith with a little less top end speed. His floor is a solid #3 or #4 for a team that passes the ball around. I don't know that Harbaugh and Roman would use him properly though.

Wouldn't they be equal in speed if not tilted in Herron's favor? Everybody, meaning nfl media and supposedly scouts, is talking about Herron running 4.3s and Smith ran a 4.41 at the 2001 combine.

I didn't know Steve Smith ran a 4.41. He has always been one of the fastest guys on the field when I've watched him. I think Herron will run closer to a 4.4 than a 4.3 with a really good 10 yard split. Anyway, maybe his ceiling is Steve Smith.
Make it happen Baalke.

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Make it happen Baalke.

Yes that video is sick ! I almost forgot about him till Senior Bowl week.
I remember in the 2012 Draft I really liked TY Hilton but I knew when we drafted AJ Jenkins we wouldnt draft TY. I know there is concern about Herron's size but while he is shorter than alot of WR, his frame is similar to TY. I would be more worried if his weight in college was around 160 to 170 pounds but he should be solid in the NFL.
that video made me not want Dixon even more then want Herron more..id like to see him lined up against a cb not ss..pretty sure hes not doing that if any of the tops cbs are guarding him..just saying..
Originally posted by jersey49er:
that video made me not want Dixon even more then want Herron more..id like to see him lined up against a cb not ss..pretty sure hes not doing that if any of the tops cbs are guarding him..just saying..

Exactly... I have Dixon ranked MUCH lower than most. Dude looks like an overstuffed OLB with stiffness in coverage. He must play downhill with eyes on the QB to make any impact.

... and Herron reminds me of a prospect that get drafted later than he should (5th rd), but can really be productive with opportunities and a timing-rhythm QB.

Herron made some of the top CB's at the Senior Bowl look just as silly as Dixon. He beat out Jean-Baptiste a few times and a couple of the others.

In the end, you're not drafting him to be a #1WR, you're not even drafting him to be a #2WR, you're drafting for his ability to stretch the field vertically, to get open and to be an offensive threat that a defense absolutely has to account for at all times.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 12, 2014 at 11:47 AM ]

Herron made some of the top CB's at the Senior Bowl look just as silly as Dixon. He beat out Jean-Baptiste a few times and a couple of the others.

In the end, you're not drafting him to be a #1WR, you're not even drafting him to be a #2WR, you're drafting for his ability to stretch the field vertically, to get open and to be an offensive threat that a defense absolutely has to account for at all times.

Agree with all of this... but are we even a team that will utilize such a deep threat? would he be just a decoy that defenses bother to cover over the top? Kaep sure has a cannon, but.... well... forget the rest...
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Exactly... I have Dixon ranked MUCH lower than most. Dude looks like an overstuffed OLB with stiffness in coverage. He must play downhill with eyes on the QB to make any impact.

... and Herron reminds me of a prospect that get drafted later than he should (5th rd), but can really be productive with opportunities and a timing-rhythm QB.

I agree with what your saying about Herron..i can see him on the Packers and him and Rodgers connecting..as for Dixon I agree..obviously his coverage skills are off and need work..his best bet is to get drafted by a team who will always keep him up in the box playing the run..maybe Pittsburgh..

If Herron runs around 4.40/4.45, I don't see him getting out of the 3rd round. He might even rip off a sub 4.40.

Agree with all of this... but are we even a team that will utilize such a deep threat? would he be just a decoy that defenses bother to cover over the top? Kaep sure has a cannon, but.... well... forget the rest...

Even as a decoy he has value because let's face it, who else do the 49ers have at WR who presents that sort of downfield threat? I do think if he developed chemistry with Kaepernick, that could make for some explosive offense plays, a guy like that who can get behind a defense and Kaepernick with a cannon for an arm, it would be a scary new element added to the 49ers offense.

i wont lie i like Jean Baptiste a lot..and i have nothing against Herron and like his speed..i can see us taking him if he its like a Quinton Patton situation like last year..a 2nd rd talent dropping to the 4th..i wouldn't take him over Beckham..Cooks..Bryant..Adams..even Ellington..
i wont lie i like Jean Baptiste a lot..and i have nothing against Herron and like his speed..i can see us taking him if he its like a Quinton Patton situation like last year..a 2nd rd talent dropping to the 4th..i wouldn't take him over Beckham..Cooks..Bryant..Adams..even Ellington..

You had me until that point. Another tall, long-legged stiff like Baldwin, but less polished.

You had me until that point. Another tall, long-legged stiff like Baldwin, but less polished.

lol i agree..but in my mind its like he was stuck behind 2 great wrs his whole time in college..i kno he is goin to tear up the combine..def have a top if not the top 40 time..all his measurable of course remind me of the wr freaks we already have in the league..id take a chance and draft him
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If Herron runs around 4.40/4.45, I don't see him getting out of the 3rd round. He might even rip off a sub 4.40.

Interesting, indeed... can't wait for the Combine!
Share 49ersWebzone