There are 213 users in the forums

Robert Herron-WR-Wyoming

I'm open to looking at any receivers that have some real speed that teams have to respect. Next season we will have Michael Crabtree, Quinton Patton, and Jon Baldwin. None of those three have speed that any teams would truly fear. I'm hopeful that we will resign Mario Manningham to a longterm deal and Anquan Boldin to a short one. Once again, no speed. For those mentioning getting a Julo Jones or AJ Green type, I'm assuming they are willing to give up many of our top draft picks to get into the top 10 so we can draft such a receiver. I'm not in favor of that. We are going to need to draft a lot of talented guys and have them on rookie contracts to replace all the players I expect to be gone after this season. I'm not saying that we shouldn't go for a bigger receiver, but considering we already have three guys under contract for 2014 who do not fit that mold and could realistically have two more, don't you all think it's time we drafted a true deep threat with some speed? It's not a good thing to have Kyle Williams as your speedy deep threat at receiver. Looking at that lineup, I'd like to see us going for two big play guys in the first and third round and drafting a bigger bodied guy later if we resign Boldin. If we do not, one of each in the first three rounds and get a speed guy in the late rounds to develop.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Rather have Jalen Saunders,

Weighs less than I did as a high school sophomore with average speed, no thanks bro. That's like the worst of both worlds. For the life of me I have no clue what it is you see in Saunders. Nobody has him rated over Herron, I think given the chance you would exclusively draft people connected to the Fresno program.

The whole point of drafting Herron is to add a true deep threat to this offense, a guy with mid 4.3 speed who can beat teams vertically. Saunders is a 160 pound slot receiver who is about as much of a deep threat as Kyle Williams, possibly even less so.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Rather have Jalen Saunders,

Weighs less than I did as a high school sophomore with average speed, no thanks bro. That's like the worst of both worlds. For the life of me I have no clue what it is you see in Saunders. Nobody has him rated over Herron, I think given the chance you would exclusively draft people connected to the Fresno program.

The whole point of drafting Herron is to add a true deep threat to this offense, a guy with mid 4.3 speed who can beat teams vertically. Saunders is a 160 pound slot receiver who is about as much of a deep threat as Kyle Williams, possibly even less so.

Average speed? Really?

I know most of it is tongue in cheek, but sometimes you come off a bit arrogant with your assessments.

And as far as "No one" having him ranked above Herron, its simply not true, hell even though its early he is ranked ahead of Herron on cbssports.

Also, the only other Fresno State player i was high on in recent years was Thomas last season.

Fact is he was a very proficient deep threat at Fresno. Then when transfering to Oklahoma, was able to adapt his game to their program and show proficient route running ability. He is versitile, not a one trick pony, but he certainly can stretch the field. Also he is not shy of contact.

BTW Saunders runs a mid-low 4.3. I wouldnt be supprised if he is faster than Herron in the slightest.

Again, i respect and enjoy reading your opinions, but sometimes your off when it comes to player evaluations, as we all are, and in this case your flat out wrong.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1180112-oklahoma-football-what-you-need-to-know-about-transfer-wr-jalen-saunders

http://bulldogbounce.blogspot.com/2010/08/position-breakdown-2010-wide-receivers.html
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Oct 19, 2013 at 12:42 PM ]
Just in a quick google search, Saunders is listed higher than Herron on every list i have seen thus far, including cbs, walter, sbnation, etc. In fact i couldnt find a single article listing Herron higher than Saunders.

Who is this "Nobody" you are referring to when you say nobody has him ranked higher than Herron?

Once again man, i love 99% of your postings, but every once in a while you have one like this. If you dont like him fine, but dont spread disinformation or falsities simply because he isaint your cup of tea.

BTW, i have actually had the opportunity to see both WR's play in PERSON.

Again, i respect and enjoy reading your opinions, but sometimes your off when it comes to player evaluations, as we all are, and in this case your flat out wrong.

That all remains to be seen of course, depending on how the draft goes, depending on how Saunders performs. I'm just not a big fan at all, average speed, not a vertical threat, built with a very slight frame, 160 pounds, a slot guy all the way, but once again if that is my intention, I'd rather go with Campanaro who is far better built for the beating they'd receive in the NFL.

Gil Brandt, ESPN, DraftCountdown, all have Herron ranked higher. Just from watching myself I see a guy who is simply a better football player all around. Tell you what, we'll bet $50 for the next draft, if Saunders goes before Herron, you'll make some money, deal?

Also, the only other Fresno State player i was high on in recent years was Thomas last season.

You just made a Carr thread below. I just think you get a little carried away with guys who play(ed) for your favorite teams at times. I just don't see anything about Saunders that makes him special in anyway. Undersized slot receiver? Why Saunders when the 49ers can have a full-sized guy such as Patton play the slot?

And as far as "No one" having him ranked above Herron, its simply not true, hell even though its early he is ranked ahead of Herron on cbssports.

Like I said, I'll bet you $50, we can do it via mail or Paypal if you really think Saunders goes before Herron. I don't.

BTW Saunders runs a mid-low 4.3. I wouldnt be supprised if he is faster than Herron in the slightest.

I don't buy that at all, Joe Haden supposedly ran a 4.32 in college, how did that turn out? When I watch Saunders, I see 4.5-4.6 speed all the way. If he really runs that fast in shorts then he certainly doesn't play like it. He's not a deep threat. Combine that with him weighing 160 pounds and the first time some NFL safety buries him, dude might not get up ever again. At his weight I don't know that there's a receiver that is lighter in the NFL right now.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 19, 2013 at 1:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

That all remains to be seen of course, depending on how the draft goes, depending on how Saunders performs. I'm just not a big fan at all, average speed, not a vertical threat, built with a very slight frame, 160 pounds, a slot guy all the way, but once again if that is my intention, I'd rather go with Campanaro who is far better built for the beating they'd receive in the NFL.

Gil Brandt, ESPN, DraftCountdown, all have Herron ranked higher. Just from watching myself I see a guy who is simply a better football player all around. Tell you what, we'll bet $50 for the next draft, if Saunders goes before Herron, you'll make some money, deal?

You just made a Carr thread below. I just think you get a little carried away with guys who play(ed) for your favorite teams at times. I just don't see anything about Saunders that makes him special in anyway. Undersized slot receiver? Why Saunders when the 49ers can have a full-sized guy such as Patton play the slot?

Like I said, I'll bet you $50, we can do it via mail or Paypal if you really think Saunders goes before Herron. I don't.

I don't buy that at all, Joe Haden supposedly ran a 4.32 in college, how did that turn out? When I watch Saunders, I see 4.5-4.6 speed all the way. If he really runs that fast in shorts then he certainly doesn't play like it. He's not a deep threat. Combine that with him weighing 160 pounds and the first time some NFL safety buries him, dude might not get up ever again. At his weight I don't know that there's a receiver that is lighter in the NFL right now.

LOL, i love you man, but you are coming across so arrogant its not even funny. As far as the $50 goes, i dont feel the need to bet you, its kind of childish if you ask me, but if you insist ill gladly do a name change bet based on his 40 time. He runs sub 4.5 and you change yours, he doesnt i change mine. Since your so sure he is a 4.5-4.6 runner, you'll have no problem with that?

So because i started a thread about a phenomenal QB who may be available in the second that makes me a homer? It just so happens that Derek Carr is a very proficient passer, with a great head on his shoulders, and athletic ability. He would fit into harbaughs/romans offense really nicely, and i also think Adams, as well as Saunders have NFL talent. Its one draft. What does me being from Fresno have to do with these players abilities?

TBH it doesnt sound like you have watched or followed Saunders career at all, your just blowing smoke man, and you know it. Saunders was regularly out running, and at the very least keeping up with Wylie while at fresno, who ran a 4.39 at the combine. Saunders is a sub 4.4 40 runner easy. Again, i have seen both WR's play IN PERSON.

Your saying he is not a deep threat, and that he has average speed, which is flat out false.

You could say i have an unhealthy bias towards Fresno state, but at the same time anyone that has read your posts recently can easily see you have an unhealthy bias on wr "type" based on one performance (Hilton) against one player (sherman).
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Oct 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM ]
LOL, i love you man, but you are coming across so arrogant its not even funny. As far as the $50 goes, i dont feel the need to bet you, its kind of childish if you ask me, but if you insist ill gladly do a name change bet based on his 40 time. He runs sub 4.5 and you change yours, he doesnt i change mine. Since your so sure he is a 4.5-4.6 runner, you'll have no problem with that?

So because i started a thread about a phenomenal QB who may be available in the second that makes me a homer? It just so happens that Derek Carr is a very proficient passer, with a great head on his shoulders, and athletic ability. He would fit into harbaughs/romans offense really nicely, and i also think Adams, as well as Saunders have NFL talent. Its one draft. What does me being from Fresno have to do with these players abilities?

TBH it doesnt sound like you have watched or followed Saunders career at all, your just blowing smoke man, and you know it. Saunders was regularly out running, and at the very least keeping up with Wylie while at fresno, who ran a 4.39 at the combine. Saunders is a sub 4.4 40 runner easy. Again, i have seen both WR's play IN PERSON.

Your saying he is not a deep threat, and that he has average speed, which is flat out false.

You could say i have an unhealthy bias towards Fresno state, but at the same time anyone that has read your posts recently can easily see you have an unhealthy bias on wr "type" based on one performance (Hilton) against one player (sherman).

Like I said, we can bet $50 on who gets drafted first, if you want to bet on Saunders running a sub 4.5 40, I'm in as well. I have no problem with that. I simply don't care for the player, I don't think he'll do well in the NFL at all, I think his body frame is going to be a limitation, especially after seeing some other guys such as Desean Jackson, who is a damn Abrams tank in comparison, have problems with injuries. He's a jitterbug slot receiver, not a deep threat.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
I'm going to school here and I can tell you Herron is a late rounder at best. He can be explosive on occasion but he drops a lot of balls and can't catch the deep ball when covered. Watch his game today against CSU and you'll see what I'm talking about. I don't know if he has ever played special teams either which limits his value as a third-sixth receiver.
Not a great night from Herron. I admit i havent watched him much, but what i have seen of him has never impressed me much.

The best i have personally seen from him was his game against Idaho this season, and i know he had a big week against san jose last week, but i wouldnt spend more than a 5th personally. He is just simply not reliable enough game in and game out. Shows up one game then disappears for several at a time. I know its not all his fault, but some is.
Not a great night from Herron. I admit i havent watched him much, but what i have seen of him has never impressed me much.

The best i have personally seen from him was his game against Idaho this season, and i know he had a big week against san jose last week, but i wouldnt spend more than a 5th personally. He is just simply not reliable enough game in and game out. Shows up one game then disappears for several at a time. I know its not all his fault, but some is.

You win this round

He seems bigger than 5-9 .. or he plays like it. Not sure he has the shiftiness that a smaller receiver needs to play the slot

https

[ Edited by kronik on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:02 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
too small, too slow.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
too small, too slow.

Dude's likely to run somewhere in the 4.3-4.39 range. If Herron is your definition of slow, then there's about 5 or 6 fast guys in the NFL total.

For what it's worth, I think he could be a good #3 NFL WR and a major deep threat.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 3, 2014 at 7:38 AM ]
Fits the bill and we don't have to move anywhere to get him.which is key.
Bewm. Quick and fast and they are struggling to find someone who can cover this guy thus far at the Senior Bowl practices. He looks exactly like what the doctor ordered for the 49ers in order to have a long ball/deep downfield threat with truly elite speed and quickness. You can't stop what you can't catch and Herron has consistently been described as looking slippery, too quick out of his breaks, too fast downfield for the defense to have much luck pressing him, he looks like a perfect guy for the slot who can force a safety to stay way back in case he gets loose. He's never going to be a #1 type of WR but as a complementary guy, like Hilton of the Colts, he can put up some big numbers and teams would always have to account for his speed.

WR Robert Herron, Wyoming - There's something about a guy that just gets open. All. The. Time. Wyoming slot WR Robert Herron did that all day long. Outside of Abbrederis, Herron was the most impressive receiver for the North squad, even though he measured in only at less than 5'9" and 187 pounds.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46053/351/senior-bowl-notes-monday?pg=2

This Wyoming WR Robert Herron reminds us of a Steve Smith. Really wiry and seems to get separation at just the right time. Can't cover him.

— RosterWatch (@RosterWatch) January 20, 2014

Been telling you all about Robert Herron for months. Welcome aboard.

— Benjamin Allbright (@AllbrightNFL) January 20, 2014

Wyoming receiver Robert Herron forced a hold, then made tough catch on Utah State CB Nevin Lawson + mismatched S Ahmad Dixon on double-move.

— Dion Caputi (@nfldraftupdate) January 20, 2014

No one can cover Robert Herron and when he gets held he still catches it

— Mike Loyko (@NEPD_Loyko) January 20, 2014
Share 49ersWebzone