LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Robert Herron-WR-Wyoming

Quite a diminutive WR but a deep threat in every sense of the word. Herron is a senior out of Wyoming who has been a big play wide receiver for them and is having his best season yet. He goes about 5'9" and 185, decently built for his height but he's never going to be a pure physical wide receiver, simply a guy who can go deep and stretch out a defense that has to allow for his considerable speed. As far as his speed goes, he's basically got track star speed and it shows out on the football field as he has made some HUGE plays for Wyoming throughout the years. He especially lit up Texas last season, had a massive game that caught nationwide attention.

He doesn't have outstanding lateral quickness, but pure speed that makes him a dangerous vertical threat, he can blow by pretty much anyone and win any foot race down the field. Beyond that he's got very good hands, catches with his hands, not his body, he needs to improve a lot as a route runner but in terms of a weapon to stretch a defense, he looks like a good one. Appears to be a mid 3rd rounder currently. He does tend to shy away from physical contact at times, but for what he does, being a true deep threat, he does very well and could be an instant contributor in the NFL.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 18, 2013 at 4:46 PM ]
ill never understand why everyone wants us to have N draft a bunch of midgets ..... Yea i know they're speedy N what not but we have enough midgets already that aint cuttin it..
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
ill never understand why everyone wants us to have N draft a bunch of midgets ..... Yea i know they're speedy N what not but we have enough midgets already that aint cuttin it..

What midgets are those? Patton, Boldin and Crabtree are all 6 foot plus. Do you mean midget like TY Hilton who had 140 yards receiving against Seattle....more than the 49ers entire team had earlier this season.....that kind of midget?

This team has no real deep threat at WR but a farkload of possession receivers. What I dont understand is those who want bigger receivers, just on the basis of them being bigger and little else. Not sure if people are thinking that because you have a 6'5" WR, you can have a huge advantage when going over the top on a 6'4" CB? Personally I'd rather have receivers that can go where the CB's can't, guys with speed who can blast through coverage and get down the field in a hurry.

Now if you can find a guy with great size AND great speed as well as the necessary skills as a receiver, then so much the better but those guys are far and few between, the majority of bigger wide receivers tend to be possession type guys, exactly like what the 49ers already have. You have your super-freaks such as Calvin Johnson and AJ Green who almost always go super early in the draft. Beyond that, I'll take an explosive smaller receiver who can stretch a defense vs a bigger possession receiver who plays perfectly into what teams like Seattle want to do on defense.

You don't draft a guy like Herron expecting him to be a frontline starter, you have him as your #3 or #4 WR, a guy you can put out on to the field and instantly the defense has to respect his speed and put someone over the top just in case he flies right past his coverage. That sort of spacing opens things up for others inside, across the middle and so on.

49ers fans of all people should be quite familiar with it since that formula worked so well for Baltimore last season. 49ers need a deep threat(s), no way around it, they have VD and that is it basically. Patton, Boldin and Crabtree are all possession type WR's, they need someone with breakaway speed that the defense will respect. Doing so would change the entire dynamics of how teams approach defending this offense and put them at a bigger disadvantage.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 18, 2013 at 5:34 PM ]
Guess everyone here would want TY Hilton over "super freaks" like Demaryius thomas julio jones brandon marshall aj green larry fitzgerald calvin johnson ... but me id luv a bigg 6'3+ 220+ WR instend of a 5'10 185 probably when wet guy or at least a good mix of both like ive said in tha past...
I also like Wyoming's QB, Brett Smith, as an option for us in the draft.
Guess everyone here would want TY Hilton over "super freaks" like Demaryius thomas julio jones brandon marshall aj green larry fitzgerald calvin johnson ... but me id luv a bigg 6'3+ 220+ WR instend of a 5'10 185 probably when wet guy or at least a good mix of both like ive said in tha past...

whats wrong with Hilton, he is on fire for Indy. Julio, Marshall, Thomas, Fitz, and Megatron are great too. Doesn't mean you can't have a mixture of talent.

Most of those guys you listed were all top picks and for good reason 49ers simply need to add some speed, they have physicality in spades with Crabtree and Boldin, they need guys who can stretch the defense, I don't care whether those guys are big or small, I'm just showing what is available and not throwing out random comparisons. If you can show me where the 49ers can get Calvin Johnson in the 2014 draft, I'll be glad to listen .
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

whats wrong with Hilton, he is on fire for Indy. Julio, Marshall, Thomas, Fitz, and Megatron are great too. Doesn't mean you can't have a mixture of talent.

Im good with a mix of WRs just sick of everyone alway wantin us to draft midgets .. we need bigg WR N small guys im down with that but we have a bunch of average height guy besides baldwin which i dont thinkany of us have high hopes for...
Im good with a mix of WRs just sick of everyone alway wantin us to draft midgets .. we need bigg WR N small guys im down with that but we have a bunch of average height guy besides baldwin which i dont thinkany of us have high hopes for...

Crabtree is 6'1", 210, Boldin is 6'1", 218, that's hardly average, those are some big, physical receivers. Compare that to Justin Hunter who is 6'4" and about 200 pounds, the same build as an NBA point guard. The point is that the 49ers have A LOT of possession receivers, they need some true deep threats. Being obsessed with size in receivers is silly, New England has had a legion of midgets that they've been incredibly successful with. Its all about how you utilize the talent you have.

But feel free to suggest players, most of the big WR's I see in the upcoming draft, guys like Brandon Coleman, Mike Evans, I see them as possession receivers with fairly average speed, long striders that take awhile to build up to top-speed, just as Baldwin does, against big, physical cornerbacks, this is a major negative.

Devante Parker is a guy that I think can stretch a defense out, but he's only 6'1", so he doesn't count right? Sammy Watkins can definitely stretch a defense out, but he's also a 6'1" midget. Damn.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM ]
No 6'1 is average not midget ... i dont watch much college ball but frm what ive read on other threads im thinkin about Brandon coleman jordan matthews N devin street ...

I've seen several of his games. As much as I want to be impressed, I came away pretty underwhelmed. If this were a deep WR draft, he'd fall in the 5th-7th round tier.

This is a horrendous senior class of receivers overall. I can't remember the last time I came away so unimpressed watching the majority of these players. I've tried to give them chances to show me something, but overall, with several weeks of game reviews, I am giving up. This is just a bad WR class. A real crap shoot more than ever to find the few that will be successful in the NFL.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I've seen several of his games. As much as I want to be impressed, I came away pretty underwhelmed. If this were a deep WR draft, he'd fall in the 5th-7th round tier.

This is a horrendous senior class of receivers overall. I can't remember the last time I came away so unimpressed watching the majority of these players. I've tried to give them chances to show me something, but overall, with several weeks of game reviews, I am giving up. This is just a bad WR class. A real crap shoot more than ever to find the few that will be successful in the NFL.

I think you need to give him another chance, he seems to be drawing a lot of interest and Gil Brandt had him ranked as his #2 senior WR. Yeah, its not a deep class of WR's but I think Herron is a solid prospect if your expectations are reasonable. He's not going to be Wes Welker but he can stretch the field like a TY Hilton.I think he'll wind up in a similar spot as Goodwin did last season. I'm looking at Herron as a #3 WR at best, a guy to throw out on the field and force the defense's hand due to his speed.
No 6'1 is average not midget ... i dont watch much college ball but frm what ive read on other threads im thinkin about Brandon coleman jordan matthews N devin street ...

Coleman.....slow-footed possession receiver, hasn't been very productive this season, not sure how he's much different from Baldwin other than being slower. Jordan Matthews, great physical receiver, excels on slants, but not a deep threat receiver. Devin Street, not very quick or fast, about 3-4 inches taller than AJ Jenkins but weighs even less than he did...you do the math. At best he's another possession receiver.

Once again, 49ers have plenty of possession receivers, they need speed to stretch the field.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM ]
Will we dont really know what will happen with crabtree (after 2015) N boldin(after this season) so i think it would be smart to spend 2 of our first 5 picks on WRs N we can take a midget N a bigg ...
Rather have Jalen Saunders,

Share 49ersWebzone