There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sammy Watkins-WR-Clemson

1. Houston is good at WR, but they need help on defense and at QB. Clowney or QB here, I think, but def not Watkins.

2. STL won't take a DB/LB this early, and they are good on the edge, so they won't go defense here. They need a #1 WR, a legit OT, and (in my mind) a new QB. They are the biggest threat to take Watkins before #5, IMO.

3. JAX is a mess. They need help pretty much everywhere, so it comes down to value and positional importance. If they like one of the QBs, I think that is their first move, if they don't trade down. Defense is a real possibility, as DC to HC guys hate having a crappy defense (makes it harder to scapegoat your OC when the team sucks). They need WR with Blackmon's mess, but I don't think they'll see this as the top priority. They are more than one draft away, and they should draft like it.

4. CLE might be willing to wait out Hoyer's recovery, as they aren't exactly SB contenders this (or any) year. Watkins woulb be scary next to Gordon, but I don't see that being a the move. They could go QB or edge rusher here. They might be desperate enough for picks to give us a deal that is close to what we could negotiate with the Raiders, so we could conceivably trade up to here, but only if their desperation and the depth of this draft coerce them to give us a good deal. They could conceivably come away with 3 very good players and a solid one for one exceptional WR. Not a bad deal for a team that is garbage almost all the way down the roster.

5. They're the likeliest team to take Watkins, IMO. They're also the likeliest to need a trade down. The roster is a mess, and the coach/gm have been around long enough to feel the heat. They are more than one draft away from being good, but a handfull of extra picks gives them 1.5 drafts, in essence. The desperate nature of the GMs employment could get us a good deal on the trade up (maybe 1,2,3,3 and a day 2 pick next year).

I don't see Watkins making it past 5, however things shake out. I honestly don't see us trading up for him, either, but it seems possible if STL goes another way (OT). It's something fun to think about in the longest draft wait ever, at least.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
1. Houston is good at WR, but they need help on defense and at QB. Clowney or QB here, I think, but def not Watkins.

2. STL won't take a DB/LB this early, and they are good on the edge, so they won't go defense here. They need a #1 WR, a legit OT, and (in my mind) a new QB. They are the biggest threat to take Watkins before #5, IMO.

3. JAX is a mess. They need help pretty much everywhere, so it comes down to value and positional importance. If they like one of the QBs, I think that is their first move, if they don't trade down. Defense is a real possibility, as DC to HC guys hate having a crappy defense (makes it harder to scapegoat your OC when the team sucks). They need WR with Blackmon's mess, but I don't think they'll see this as the top priority. They are more than one draft away, and they should draft like it.

4. CLE might be willing to wait out Hoyer's recovery, as they aren't exactly SB contenders this (or any) year. Watkins woulb be scary next to Gordon, but I don't see that being a the move. They could go QB or edge rusher here. They might be desperate enough for picks to give us a deal that is close to what we could negotiate with the Raiders, so we could conceivably trade up to here, but only if their desperation and the depth of this draft coerce them to give us a good deal. They could conceivably come away with 3 very good players and a solid one for one exceptional WR. Not a bad deal for a team that is garbage almost all the way down the roster.

5. They're the likeliest team to take Watkins, IMO. They're also the likeliest to need a trade down. The roster is a mess, and the coach/gm have been around long enough to feel the heat. They are more than one draft away from being good, but a handfull of extra picks gives them 1.5 drafts, in essence. The desperate nature of the GMs employment could get us a good deal on the trade up (maybe 1,2,3,3 and a day 2 pick next year).

I don't see Watkins making it past 5, however things shake out. I honestly don't see us trading up for him, either, but it seems possible if STL goes another way (OT). It's something fun to think about in the longest draft wait ever, at least.

The Rams don't NEED an OT. Saffold can play LT until Long is ready and Barksdale was decent at RT. They could still take one (BPA) though. SLB is their weak link at LB'er, where Mack could line up in the base D, then using him as a rush end in sub packages which allows Long to slide inside. This improves an already good pass rush and teams can never have to many good pass rushers. Watkins is also in play even with the addition of Britt. Watkins, Austin and Givens would be a whole lot of speed, but I personally question the fit given Brian Schottenheimers conservative playcalling and offensive scheme.

Jacksonville has been heavily rumored to wait till the 2nd round for a QB. Watkins makes sense here, and gives the offense a needed boost of talent at the skill positions, it is also a pick that can excite the fan base. He also would be a heckuva target for Henne and a QB they can grab later. Mack is also in play but not because their HC is a defensive guy, as often coaches pick players on the other side of the ball likely confident in their ability to coach up what they have. The Jags got better on D via FA (at least on paper) but Mack appears to be an excellent fit to play the LEO role in Bradley's D.

Also Buffalo and Detroit have been rumored to love Watkins and could jump up to 2 or 3 to grab him.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

The Rams don't NEED an OT. Saffold can play LT until Long is ready and Barksdale was decent at RT. They could still take one (BPA) though. SLB is their weak link at LB'er, where Mack could line up in the base D, then using him as a rush end in sub packages which allows Long to slide inside. This improves an already good pass rush and teams can never have to many good pass rushers. Watkins is also in play even with the addition of Britt. Watkins, Austin and Givens would be a whole lot of speed, but I personally question the fit given Brian Schottenheimers conservative playcalling and offensive scheme.

Jacksonville has been heavily rumored to wait till the 2nd round for a QB. Watkins makes sense here, and gives the offense a needed boost of talent at the skill positions, it is also a pick that can excite the fan base. He also would be a heckuva target for Henne and a QB they can grab later. Mack is also in play but not because their HC is a defensive guy, as often coaches pick players on the other side of the ball likely confident in their ability to coach up what they have. The Jags got better on D via FA (at least on paper) but Mack appears to be an excellent fit to play the LEO role in Bradley's D.

Also Buffalo and Detroit have been rumored to love Watkins and could jump up to 2 or 3 to grab him.

1) I'm not impressed with Saffold, and he appears to be made of glass. I wouldn't trust him with the safety of my often-injured QB, if I was the Rams.

2) I don't trust internet rumors (or any rumors, for that matter) leading up to the draft They could leak those rumors intentionally to prevent someone from jumping them for the pick, for all we know. It means nothing to me.

3) Buffalo, I could see, but Detroit can't be THAT stupid, can they?
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Jags would take a QB before WR.

Only if there is a QB that they think is worth it. Right now Clowney, Mack, Watkins and Robinson are considered universally pretty much the top 4 players in this draft, I see all those guys being gone in the Top 5 picks.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Only if there is a QB that they think is worth it. Right now Clowney, Mack, Watkins and Robinson are considered universally pretty much the top 4 players in this draft, I see all those guys being gone in the Top 5 picks.
Not disagreeing but many (including myself) see Matthews going before Robinson. He is pro ready and the safer pick of the two. Robinson has more upside but struggles as a pass blocker at this point. I think Robinson slides to 6 and the Falcons take him or trade out for someone to jump for him.

One of the top four will take a QB. There are just too many teams with a QB need. Hell even St. Louis has been linked to Manziel.

I think it plays out like:

1. Houston- Clowney
2. St. Louis- Robinson/Matthews
3. Jacksonville- Mack
4. Cleveland- Manziel
5. Oakland- Watkins
With the Blackmon drama in Jax, I think that's where Sammy lands. They come back an grab a QB, so a receiver to throw to makes sense.

If I were the GM in Jax, I'd trade back and target Evans. If he's gone, try moving back again and loading up on players. Sammy alone can't make that team good. Even with Blackmon going over 100 yds/gm, they were garbage.

Donald and Shazier would drastically tighten up that defense. A lot of option in Jax, but I think that where Sammy will be calling home for the next 5 years.
Originally posted by strickac:
Donald and Shazier would drastically tighten up that defense. A lot of option in Jax, but I think that where Sammy will be calling home for the next 5 years.

I think Shazier has hall-of-fame potential, but I'm not as convinced about Aaron Donald. In fact, I think he might be a very disappointing pick. He has all the speed you'll ever want, but I don't know that he has lower-body & core strength. In fact, I think LDE in a 4-3 might be his best position. He's much better at getting off a block rushing the passer than pushing the OL back or holding contain at the point of attack.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Jags would take a QB before WR.

Could be, but with all the Jags needs, who's to say they aren't thinking about trading down??

They could easily trade down and land much more that would help them. Much more than just Watkins...

I don't see them thinking Watkins solves their problems, with or without Blackmon.
[ Edited by CWin4949 on May 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM ]
IM starting to have this strong feeling that if Watkins is there at #5 when the Raiders pick, the 49ers will make the move.
Originally posted by xela510:
IM starting to have this strong feeling that if Watkins is there at #5 when the Raiders pick, the 49ers will make the move.

Watkins has put out some tweets that indicate he thinks somebody is going to trade up and make a move for him. I wouldn't be completely shocked if it ended up being the Niners.
Originally posted by matt49er:

Watkins has put out some tweets that indicate he thinks somebody is going to trade up and make a move for him. I wouldn't be completely shocked if it ended up being the Niners.

Surprised, but not shocked...

It will definitely have to be the Raiders. We aren't going to trade any higher than that.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

It will definitely have to be the Raiders. We aren't going to trade any higher than that.

I doubt the Raider would deal with us but who knows.
I will literally s**t my pants then sit in it if we trade up to #5.

Not remotely possible imo.
I would absolutely LOve for the 49ers to get Watkins! What would it take?? I'm thinking #30,#56,#77#94 and a 2nd Next year.