There are 48 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sammy Watkins-WR-Clemson

Watkins explodes after the catch in the open field. His breakaway speed is better than anyone I've seen in many years.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
If he was bigger and was the next Fitz or Megatron than that would be different.

He has a good chance to be overall better than those guys. He is a weapon on screens, hand-offs etc. He is not as tall as those guys, but he is twice as explosive.
[ Edited by BrianGO on May 1, 2014 at 12:27 AM ]
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
We can't keep acquiring 10+ picks every year without using some of them to move up. That's the point in acquiring them. We aren't a team with a bunch of holes so it makes sense to use them for targeted players.

This years draft is extremely talented compared to prior years. That's what makes me hesitant to deal some of the picks this year. I can see a package of picks from this year and '15.

I would love to see us move this years 1st (30), 2nd (61), 3rd (94) and next years 1st (even comfortable adding '15 3rd if needed) to Oakland if Watkins is sitting there at 5. The guy is a stud and there is no denying the FO trying to acquire another receiver this offseason.

With a trade to #5 we could concievably still have a 2,3,3,4,5,7,7 and 7.

Im all in for it.

If we only have to give up that, I would do it. Watkins can take this team to the next level. This isn't just a tall and fast receiver. This guy's mind and feet move so fast and naturally it is something special.

I have seen players who are fast and / or big, but Watkins is THINKING fast. Those feet of his move through traffic at light speed. His first step is ridiculous, faster than anybody his size in the NFL today. He has Devin Hester athleticism, with Michael Crabtree body control.

He is such a natural football player it is uncanny and rare.
Hopefully Baalke's smarter than Atlanta was when they traded so many picks to get Julio Jones. JJ's a great player, but you pay a very heavy price to move up that far. Baalke's smarter than that...
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Hopefully Baalke's smarter than Atlanta was when they traded so many picks to get Julio Jones. JJ's a great player, but you pay a very heavy price to move up that far. Baalke's smarter than that...

Some of you guys act like we are a team with a lot of needs...

What's a heavy price for a franchise #1 WR? We're sitting on a ton of picks and we can't keep all those players. Why is it not better to use what we have to land IMPACT players that make a difference right now to whats already a very strong team.

Yeah, if you walk into a Porche dealership and you're looking at a $100,000 car, but you have $90,000 in your pocket, financing $10k isn't crap.

We already have solid depth from last years draft from players that are already going to contribute to depth and we're going to lose at least 4-5 of our drafted players this year because they will not make the 53 man roster. Signing guys to our practice squad is not a secure bet anymore.

So why not just lose those 4-5 picks and land players that are going to make the team MUCH stronger right now when we have the ability to make a Super Bowl run?

Difference is we have a surplus of picks and a surplus of talent at other positions. Atlanta never had that going for them. We can't sign all the draft picks anyway, need to consolidate into higher picks.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I would be happy if we traded up, however I would not be willing to give up next year's first.
Originally posted by fryet:
I would be happy if we traded up, however I would not be willing to give up next year's first.

I have no problem giving up next years first if we could walk into next years draft with 2 or 3 2nd rounders and it means we landed players that can make an immediate impact and get us to the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by CWin4949:

What's a heavy price for a franchise #1 WR? We're sitting on a ton of picks and we can't keep all those players. Why is it not better to use what we have to land IMPACT players that make a difference right now to whats already a very strong team.

Yeah, if you walk into a Porche dealership and you're looking at a $100,000 car, but you have $90,000 in your pocket, financing $10k isn't crap.

We already have solid depth from last years draft from players that are already going to contribute to depth and we're going to lose at least 4-5 of our drafted players this year because they will not make the 53 man roster. Signing guys to our practice squad is not a secure bet anymore.

So why not just lose those 4-5 picks and land players that are going to make the team MUCH stronger right now when we have the ability to make a Super Bowl run?

QFT
Well according to the draft value chart http://footballguys.com/pickvalue.htm, the value of our 30th, 56th, and 77th picks would equate about to the value of the 4th overall pick. Teams are going to want a hell of a lot more than that probably because of past trades, but that is what the value of those picks adds up to. That'd be pretty darn good if we could make that trade, then we'd have a first, a second, and still two third. And we get Sammy Watkins! lol, never going to happen though.

I have no problem giving up next years first if we could walk into next years draft with 2 or 3 2nd rounders and it means we landed players that can make an immediate impact and get us to the Super Bowl.

We could trade away next year's first (plus our first this year plus one of our 2nds) to trade up and get him.

Then, trade our other 2nd and our 4th for a next year's 1st.

Then, trade our two tradeable 3rds to move into the 2nd...

All in all:
Sammy Watkins
2nd rounder
3rd rounder (comp)
Another teams' 1st next year.
[ Edited by NinerBuff on May 1, 2014 at 10:21 AM ]
Yea not even a fair comparison. Atlanta didn't have the ammo we have with 11 picks. They also had several other holes, in particular, on the offensive line and several spots on the defensive side. It's a simple math equation, we don't have enough spots to continue to field 10+ picks year after year. Why not use them to get an impact player like Watkins?

I'd also be for trading up to get Beckham in the 14-17 range if Watkins goes top 4. I'm on the fence with Evans. He looks and plays like a premier talent but there is just something that makes me hesitate. Don't know what it is.

Either way, I think we need to get one of the top 3 receivers this year. We can go CB at 2 or 3 and accomplish roster needs.
Originally posted by ghostrider:

QFT

GFYMSM
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

We could trade away next year's first (plus our first this year plus one of our 2nds) to trade up and get him.

Then, trade our other 2nd and our 4th for a next year's 1st.

Then, trade our two tradeable 3rds to move into the 2nd...

All in all:
Sammy Watkins
2nd rounder
3rd rounder (comp)
Another teams' 1st next year.

Realistic, and definitely would be an immediate impact.
No doubt whatsoever that he'd be an impact on day one.

Really nervous that the Rams will pick him at #2.