There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sammy Watkins-WR-Clemson

Jeez, for the last time. We are not getting Sammy Watkins! We need our picks, we're pushing the salary cap limits every year and we still have important players to resign in the next couple of years. We need a lot of good, cheap, young players. We could move up like last year, maybe move up furthrr, but I'm not expecting a blockbuster.
Originally posted by jimrat:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/29/sammy-watkins-starting-to-think-outside-the-box/
Sammy Watkins has made some trips to see teams who shouldnt be able to get him, such as the Lions, picking 10th.

But someone might be willing to make even more of a move for the Clemson wide receiver.

He tweeted out an intriguing message this afternoon, which included a few emoticons but what might be an interesting underlying meaning.

All those teams in top 10 might draft me but I been thinking outside the box interesting phone calls, he wrote.

There are several teams with great need at the position outside the top 10, among them the 49ers. But while they have draft picks to spare, it would take quite a haul to go from 30th to the top five.

Watkins is an explosive player, who could make an immediate impact. For a team which might be a player away, he could well be worth it

You can tell Florio didnt write that because there wasnt the word "surely" in it.
Lol we're not getting Watkins. I wish
Would not hesitate one bit to trade up for Sammy. Going to be a special player.
I dont know why people think its so crazy to trade up for Watkins, its a fact that 11 draft picks will not make the roster aand theres not going to be the option of tucking them away on the PS.

The 53 man roster can't hold all our picks.

That being said, we're not trading up for Watkins.
[ Edited by CWin4949 on Apr 30, 2014 at 7:38 PM ]
lol...
Originally posted by CWin4949:
I dont know why people think its so crazy to trade up for Watkins, its a fact that 11 draft picks will not make the roster aand theres not going to be the option of tucking them away on the PS.

The 53 man roster can hold all our picks.

That being said, we're not trading up for Watkins.

Its not crazy. We have an array of picks with limited needs and Watkins is the type of a receiver that only a handful of teams have. Baalke likes to trade up and he will trade up to get him if he thinks its worth the price.
We can't keep acquiring 10+ picks every year without using some of them to move up. That's the point in acquiring them. We aren't a team with a bunch of holes so it makes sense to use them for targeted players.

This years draft is extremely talented compared to prior years. That's what makes me hesitant to deal some of the picks this year. I can see a package of picks from this year and '15.

I would love to see us move this years 1st (30), 2nd (61), 3rd (94) and next years 1st (even comfortable adding '15 3rd if needed) to Oakland if Watkins is sitting there at 5. The guy is a stud and there is no denying the FO trying to acquire another receiver this offseason.

With a trade to #5 we could concievably still have a 2,3,3,4,5,7,7 and 7.

Im all in for it.
We'd have to trade next years' first round pick.... Might still be worth it.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
We'd have to trade next years' first round pick.... Might still be worth it.
I agree. Our 1st next year is likely to be in the 25-32 range. It's not like we would be giving up a top 10 pick. We will also be looking at several 3rd's via compensatory with Crabtree and/or Iupati leaving.

His catch and run against Georgia @ about the :50 second mark is filthy. He puts his shoulder down in the middle of the field and shakes the man off while breaking away for the TD.
If he was bigger and was the next Fitz or Megatron than that would be different.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
If he was bigger and was the next Fitz or Megatron than that would be different.

what's with peoples fetishes with big receivers? Dude is clearly a talented guy regardless of his size.
Originally posted by Buchy:
I would trade this years first, a 2nd and next years first to move up for him. We're likely to be picking late on in 2015 again anyway.

We have a loaded roster and we are stacked with draft picks and have been for 2 years, we can't add all our drafted players to the 53 man roster and other teams sign our lower round picks off the practice squad so we essentially waste them.

This year we have two second round picks, likely to have two 3rd round and two 4th round picks (Goldson and Walker compensatory picks), we have more than enough ammo to move up and fill our actual needs with real talent. Our needs are WR, CB, S, backup QB and C/G. Don't forget we have Carradine and Dial coming into the mix next season along with Ian Williams returning and TJE and Dobbs having played well. Not only that, I think Okoye under Tomusula could become something as a very disruptive DE. Beyond CB and Safety we don't have any glaring defensive needs, we do however need quality in the WR position and on the OLine.

Yes RG3 was a horrible trade, but julio Jones worked out and look at what Josh Gordon has done for a horrible Browns team, we have the ammo in the draft, there's no point in wasintg a conglomeration of lower round picks on guys that we try and stash on the PS or lose on the waiver wire.

If we could get the Raiders to accept that I'd be all in. I think Sammy is worth it. That would leave 2,3,3,3,4,5,7,7,7
FWIW I think Baalke ate dinner with Breeland with the idea of discussing Watkins. Makes it look like Breeland is the target and doesn't show his cards.

Still may not get him if St. Louis / Jacksonville / Cleveland pounces. If he lasts to Oakland, Baalke may move. We shall see. Only a week away fellas.