LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Sammy Watkins-WR-Clemson

• Buchy
  • Veteran
I would trade this years first, a 2nd and next years first to move up for him. We're likely to be picking late on in 2015 again anyway.

We have a loaded roster and we are stacked with draft picks and have been for 2 years, we can't add all our drafted players to the 53 man roster and other teams sign our lower round picks off the practice squad so we essentially waste them.

This year we have two second round picks, likely to have two 3rd round and two 4th round picks (Goldson and Walker compensatory picks), we have more than enough ammo to move up and fill our actual needs with real talent. Our needs are WR, CB, S, backup QB and C/G. Don't forget we have Carradine and Dial coming into the mix next season along with Ian Williams returning and TJE and Dobbs having played well. Not only that, I think Okoye under Tomusula could become something as a very disruptive DE. Beyond CB and Safety we don't have any glaring defensive needs, we do however need quality in the WR position and on the OLine.

Yes RG3 was a horrible trade, but julio Jones worked out and look at what Josh Gordon has done for a horrible Browns team, we have the ammo in the draft, there's no point in wasintg a conglomeration of lower round picks on guys that we try and stash on the PS or lose on the waiver wire.
[ Edited by Buchy on Jan 7, 2014 at 8:19 AM ]
SAMMY!!!! Is a beast!!! Runs like a beast!!would love to see the niners trade up for him.
Originally posted by wailers15:
SAMMY!!!! Is a beast!!! Runs like a beast!!would love to see the niners trade up for him.

he is all of that but the cost would be too much. im all for trying to move up into the early 20's if somebody is slipping
I've given up on my Sammy Watkins dream. Too many good receivers and there is no need to pass up talent available next year. We could be looking for one of the top guards available if we let Iupati walk. Or maybe Tank Carradine doesn't show enough or Vance McDonald. I say pick the quality talent available at 32. Make a move into the 20s or low teens if necessary, but no higher.

All I ask is that the Rams don't take him.

P.S. Any chance Houston shocks the world and drafts Sammy Watkins? I doubt it but it's a slight possibility. Andre Johnson is still the man and they finally have a number two in DeAndre Hopkins.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Jan 7, 2014 at 11:45 AM ]
Consolation - we may get to see him play real close in Oakland.
I'm puzzled by people being so hesitant to trade multiple picks for an impact player. The Niners are deep at most positions. Adding 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th rounders to the roster doesn't really do much except allow you to flip current depth for other players. How much, really, have the Niners gotten out of the last few drafts? In 2012 they scored one player, who is used as a returner. In 2013 they got a starting safety (but traded up to do it), a bust of a TE, and a bunch of depth. MAybe Lattimore turns out great, but that's a 4th round flyer.

Taking 3 players in the first 2 rounds of this draft, with none of them likely to make an immediate impact, does nothing for a team with a limited, current SB window. Trading volume for quality, and quality that is NFL ready, is what they need to do to give the team the best chance to win before salary cap issues cause serious problems.
Although I'm not against trading picks for Watkins, I disagree on the point that the later round picks are only roster fillers.

The later round picks are far more important that 1st round picks. That is where rosters are built. Look at our current roster. Bowman was a 3rd, Culliver a 3rd, Gore a 3rd, etc.

There is significant talent that later in drafts. It is flawed talent but that is where gm's make their hay. Those picks are valuable.
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
I'm puzzled by people being so hesitant to trade multiple picks for an impact player. The Niners are deep at most positions. Adding 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th rounders to the roster doesn't really do much except allow you to flip current depth for other players. How much, really, have the Niners gotten out of the last few drafts? In 2012 they scored one player, who is used as a returner. In 2013 they got a starting safety (but traded up to do it), a bust of a TE, and a bunch of depth. MAybe Lattimore turns out great, but that's a 4th round flyer.

Taking 3 players in the first 2 rounds of this draft, with none of them likely to make an immediate impact, does nothing for a team with a limited, current SB window. Trading volume for quality, and quality that is NFL ready, is what they need to do to give the team the best chance to win before salary cap issues cause serious problems.

I understand the logic behind wanting to move up, however I don't believe in giving up a boatload a picks, even if we are deep, because one, you never know who may come from those picks, but also with the amount of talent we have, we are going to need cheaper options on rookie contracts in the event that we can't resign our own guys. For example, suppose we lose Michael Crabtree, we'd have Watkins, an aging Bolding, and Patton. Not exactly a deep receiving corps. Also, the Green Bay Packers have demonstrated you can find receiving talent at all levels of the draft. There is no need to roll the dice on one pick.

With our draft, I'd say our picks are more so about the long term future of the team. They may not be starters in 2014, but who's to say they won't be in 2016 or 2017? It happened to Ian Williams, Alex Boone, Ray McDonald, and Daniel Kilgore or Joe Looney could possibly be up next. You just never know.
I would rather trade up for a CB. The WR class is really deep this year, a really good WR will slip, like Robinson, Matthews, Adams, Moncrief, or Beckham comes to mind in one of the WRs that'll slip because of the talented WR class.
maybe we could trade our pick and iupati to move up if we need to. i dont think we'll have the space to resign him anyway so we might as well alex smith him and get something in return

• jimrat
  • Veteran
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/29/sammy-watkins-starting-to-think-outside-the-box/
Sammy Watkins has made some trips to see teams who shouldnt be able to get him, such as the Lions, picking 10th.

But someone might be willing to make even more of a move for the Clemson wide receiver.

He tweeted out an intriguing message this afternoon, which included a few emoticons but what might be an interesting underlying meaning.

All those teams in top 10 might draft me but I been thinking outside the box interesting phone calls, he wrote.

There are several teams with great need at the position outside the top 10, among them the 49ers. But while they have draft picks to spare, it would take quite a haul to go from 30th to the top five.

Watkins is an explosive player, who could make an immediate impact. For a team which might be a player away, he could well be worth it
The 49ers met with him but talked to him about Breeland and Bryant, not about his own game.
Smoke and mirrors.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
We will find out in 9 days
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Rams
Share 49ersWebzone