There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sammy Watkins-WR-Clemson

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Watkins' QB made some nice passes so you have to take that into account. Those sideline passes were very well placed for YAC. One Mock I saw on here, sorry I can't remember who to give credit, had the niners taking Boyd in the third. He's definitely worth that spot, if not higher. The interview after the game was impressive...articulate guys.

I believe it was Matt Miller in his full seven round mock. I don't see Boyd being on the board that late though.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Your expectations for articulate may differ from mine when it comes to college football players! LOL! Boyd was not smooth, but articulate...said what he wanted to say clearly. Watkins was much less comfortable but didn't mumble and stumble as most players do after a big game. RGIII was perhaps the most articulate player I have ever seen in the college ranks, so he sets my high bar...too many to select a player for the low bar! The fact that you judge Watkins to be unintelligent after hearing his interview somewhat diminishes your credibility.

I judge a lot of players to be unintelligent after hearing them in interviews and most of the time I'm correct. We'll find out when the Wonderlic scores are released if it's leaked. RG3 came across as very rehearsed when I heard him in college which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't agree with you that he is the one setting the bar (and I wasn't surprised he had a low Wonderlic score for a QB). I judged Watkins as unintelligent because he either did not understand the questions he was being asked or he was afraid he would look bad if he answered in his own words rather than with a rehearsed script. If you paid attention to the interview, you would have noticed there was a complete disconnect at times between what Watkins was asked and what he answered. Whether or not he stuttered is irrelevant to me.

The Wonderlic is a joke and tells nothing of a person's intelligence.
I'm on the trade up for Watkins bandwagon.

unless Patton does something special in the playoffs.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Your expectations for articulate may differ from mine when it comes to college football players! LOL! Boyd was not smooth, but articulate...said what he wanted to say clearly. Watkins was much less comfortable but didn't mumble and stumble as most players do after a big game. RGIII was perhaps the most articulate player I have ever seen in the college ranks, so he sets my high bar...too many to select a player for the low bar! The fact that you judge Watkins to be unintelligent after hearing his interview somewhat diminishes your credibility.

I judge a lot of players to be unintelligent after hearing them in interviews and most of the time I'm correct. We'll find out when the Wonderlic scores are released if it's leaked. RG3 came across as very rehearsed when I heard him in college which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't agree with you that he is the one setting the bar (and I wasn't surprised he had a low Wonderlic score for a QB). I judged Watkins as unintelligent because he either did not understand the questions he was being asked or he was afraid he would look bad if he answered in his own words rather than with a rehearsed script. If you paid attention to the interview, you would have noticed there was a complete disconnect at times between what Watkins was asked and what he answered. Whether or not he stuttered is irrelevant to me.

The Wonderlic is a joke and tells nothing of a person's intelligence.

Not sure why anyone should be invested in labeling a college guy's intelligence without knowing him. A risky proposition at best...unnecessary in all cases.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANTWANT WANT WANT WANT

WANT
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:

That's like Boldin catches. Goes up and gets it. Patton too.....
Watkins should be the 1 and only target for the niners in this draft. If you have to deal your 1st and both 2nds to move up and get him, you do it. I almost exclusively scout receivers for the draft, and I'll know more once I get to see all the combine footage, but Watkins is SPECIAL. Go watch highlight film, and don't pay attention to the highlight parts. Watch his hands. He ALAWYS snags the ball with his hands. Never with the body if its at all feasible. This is how you tell a true catcher of the ball, a guy who will have very limited drops and makes catches that others do not. Perfect hand-triangle catches on every ball.

Throw in the Harvin-like versatility, solid size, good speed, terrific run-after-catch skills, and the only thing I don't know about him is the route running...but it looks good. Again, I'll know more after the combine. But right now, he's head and shoulders better than Evans (really big red-zone guy but not nearly the all-around guy that Watkins is).

Watch below. On catches where other receivers would let the ball get into the body for a basket catch, watkins raises his hands and snags the ball. The second play is a perfect example.

[ Edited by DarkKnight1680 on Jan 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM ]
I've been saying it for a long time, Watkins SHOULD be a top 3 pick. His talent is off the charts.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I've been saying it for a long time, Watkins SHOULD be a top 3 pick. His talent is off the charts.

Yep. Sadly he will cost way too much to move up to get. It would be pretty hard to imagine him not being a top 5 pick now unless 3 QBs go that early.
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
Watkins should be the 1 and only target for the niners in this draft. If you have to deal your 1st and both 2nds to move up and get him, you do it. I almost exclusively scout receivers for the draft, and I'll know more once I get to see all the combine footage, but Watkins is SPECIAL. Go watch highlight film, and don't pay attention to the highlight parts. Watch his hands. He ALAWYS snags the ball with his hands. Never with the body if its at all feasible. This is how you tell a true catcher of the ball, a guy who will have very limited drops and makes catches that others do not. Perfect hand-triangle catches on every ball.

Throw in the Harvin-like versatility, solid size, good speed, terrific run-after-catch skills, and the only thing I don't know about him is the route running...but it looks good. Again, I'll know more after the combine. But right now, he's head and shoulders better than Evans (really big red-zone guy but not nearly the all-around guy that Watkins is).

Watch below. On catches where other receivers would let the ball get into the body for a basket catch, watkins raises his hands and snags the ball. The second play is a perfect example.

It would cost more than a first and 2 2nds to go from 32(hopefully) to a top 5 pick. More likely it would cost all that plus our first next year too.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

It would cost more than a first and 2 2nds to go from 32(hopefully) to a top 5 pick. More likely it would cost all that plus our first next year too.

Come on that's way too much. We have CB, S, DL, C needs as well. WR is a need yes but Kaep needs to start seeing the whole field which he is getting slightly better at. Boldin will probably be gone but we can still have Crabtree. VD is still around. He has weapons. A WR would be good but I don't want a Ditka draft either. Trade the entire draft for one player.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Come on that's way too much. We have CB, S, DL, C needs as well. WR is a need yes but Kaep needs to start seeing the whole field which he is getting slightly better at. Boldin will probably be gone but we can still have Crabtree. VD is still around. He has weapons. A WR would be good but I don't want a Ditka draft either. Trade the entire draft for one player.

I didnt say I would do it. I just said that is what it would take to get to a top 5 spot from a pick in the 30s. I agree that we have too many needs to trade what would amount to 4 possible starters.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Watkins is the #4 overall prospect according to ESPN. Don't expect to change too much, even with combine risers, Watkins should be no worse than the 7th overall pick IMO.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 5, 2014 at 8:08 PM ]
Yea this dude is a beast