LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 215 users in the forums

Odell Beckham Jr-WR-LSU

That guy is not bad. I wouldn't be upset if the 49ers picked him.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
i'd be more at ease if michael irvin was drafting our receivers instead of baalke.
Originally posted by xcfan:
i'd be more at ease if michael irvin was drafting our receivers instead of baalke.

Baalke's 0 for 1 in the first round on WRs, and then he's spent 2 late-6th-round picks on WRs (and what do you really expect out of a late-6th-ronud WR?) and he's drafted Patton in the 4th. Not exactly a huge sample size to convict him of wide-receiver-ineptitude. And Jenkins is Baalke's only bust in the first round so far.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Baalke's 0 for 1 in the first round on WRs, and then he's spent 2 late-6th-round picks on WRs (and what do you really expect out of a late-6th-ronud WR?) and he's drafted Patton in the 4th. Not exactly a huge sample size to convict him of wide-receiver-ineptitude. And Jenkins is Baalke's only bust in the first round so far.
imo, it's a qualitative thing, not quantitative.
it's the monumental misjudgment of jenkins' ability that makes me question his eye. when your eye picks a would-be golden-ticket big dog who turns out to be an inferior child, then it is absolutely justified to question your judgement.
Just heard from Casserly that he is a better Crabtree

uhhh i see why he has no gm job at the moment.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Just heard from Casserly that he is a better Crabtree

uhhh i see why he has no gm job at the moment.

they both get in and out of breaks with authority, but crabs is quite a bit stronger and beck is much faster.

as much as I hated the guy during his playing days but I wouldn't mind if he was our WR coach. still got the passion
Terrific player who won't be on the board at 30. Not sure he will be on the board at 20., so the team is going to have to move up to get him
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
ya know, the more lsu video i watch, the more i want landry.
  • Andra
  • Veteran

Your right , but the AJ Jenkins pick was a Huge swing and a miss gotta make you wonder

this. reminds me of a Hines Ward/Anquan Boldin type of player
Originally posted by Andra:

Your right , but the AJ Jenkins pick was a Huge swing and a miss gotta make you wonder

Absolutely. Drafting a 1st round bust is outrageous. No other team ever does it.

Can't help feeling there needs to be an expectation readjustment round here. To touch base with the real world.

Wouldn't be terrible but not the game breaker Beckham is! I actually wouldn't mind getting Beckham in 1st, Landry in 2nd/3rd, and Loston in 3rd/4th to pair with Reid. We would have a young and solid core of WR's and safeties who are familiar with each other! Not a LSU homer but those are 4 solid players!
Originally posted by English:

Absolutely. Drafting a 1st round bust is outrageous. No other team ever does it.

Can't help feeling there needs to be an expectation readjustment round here. To touch base with the real world.

Seriously, even 1st round picks bust out ~50% of the time. Baalke's track record is MUCH better than that. Some Zoners should do actual research, comparing Baalk's draft record to other teams' GMs. The guy is impressive, and it is much tougher to add new pieces to as talented a roster as ours.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

1 bad 1st round pick out of 3. Let's see that's a 66% success rate. Thats a D. But the question is not his ability to pick 1st round talent but his evaluation of WR's. AJ Jenkins was not ranked above a 3rd round talent on anyone's board as far as I know. That is cause for concern. It doesn't mean that he can't evaluate WR's but it does leave room for questioning in the real world
Share 49ersWebzone