There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Odell Beckham Jr-WR-LSU

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Haha, I too had been in debate with myself over this. If you want a Boldin replacement, you want Landry. If you want a field-stretcher that gets separation and has great k/p return ability, then ODB.

I think a field-stretcher is a much bigger need for the 49ers right now, especially if Boldin is re-signed. Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, all possession receivers, a nice deep threat would really balance that out.

Can't disagree.
How does Beckham compare/contrast to Patton? I like the idea of a small/quick TY Hilton burner, but Im a little learry if adding another small/shifty WR with mediocre down field speed.
I like the idea of bringing in Beckham, he is a team oriented receiver who I think will acclimate to the game faster than Patton (who was fed the rock at LouTech).
Yea gotta get that eigth man out of the box so that both Gore and Kap and become better runners.
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:
I like the idea of bringing in Beckham, he is a team oriented receiver who I think will acclimate to the game faster than Patton (who was fed the rock at LouTech).

We really don't know anything about Patton at this point since he's barely played. As stubborn as this team is when it comes to playing younger players over vets, we might not know until next season.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
We really don't know anything about Patton at this point since he's barely played. As stubborn as this team is when it comes to playing younger players over vets, we might not know until next season.

Very true...they really haven't seemed open to giving much PT to rooks.

I only say that I would expect Beckham to acclimate faster because he seems to have a more team oriented skillset (blocking, rub routes, decoy routes, etc) right away, as opposed to Patton, whose role in college was to get the ball A LOT. And I'm just making the assumption that that value could get him on the field, I could be wrong.
[ Edited by TommyFrazier on Dec 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM ]
I like Beckham a lot. Wouldn't mind him at all.
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:
Very true...they really haven't seemed open to giving much PT to rooks.

I only say that I would expect Beckham to acclimate faster because he seems to have a more team oriented skillset (blocking, rub routes, decoy routes, etc) right away, as opposed to Patton, whose role in college was to get the ball A LOT. And I'm just making the assumption that that value could get him on the field, I could be wrong.

So you're saying that Patton couldn't have been a great blocker or route runner in college because he got the ball a lot?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Can't disagree.

Also, as far as Landry goes, he's 2 inches taller and weighs about 5 pounds more than Beckham, so its not a huge difference. 6'1, 195 vs 5'11, 190.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,680
Beckham is a much better blocker .
He had some great catches today.
Originally posted by jimrat:

That catch was pretty ridiculous, dude has some reach.
Give me this guy or Brandin Cooks over kelvin benjamin and mike evans every time! Yeah it's nice to have big bodied recievers who can go up for the ball but we need a guy who can take the top off of a defense. Seattle's d is praying we draft a reciever like the latter two so they can keep up with them! We need a game-breaker to beat them deep a couple times so their safety and corners have to retreat more which will in turn open up the intermediate routes for crab/patton/boldin; this will make the linebackers back out of box into coverage which will open up the run! Or we can continue to be stubborn and think we can beat them up with the run and convert an intermediate route on 3 and 12 with man coverage......
Once people see his combine numbers I believe this kid will be in the spotlight cause right now he is under the radar