LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Odell Beckham Jr-WR-LSU

• mayo49
  • Veteran
If we got Beckham, I'd have no problem letting Crabtree walk next year.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Smokescreen 49ers dont show their hand

exactly.

which makes me sad, cuz i wanted Beckham.

Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Smokescreen 49ers dont show their hand

exactly.

which makes me sad, cuz i wanted Beckham.

Maybe the smokescreen is a smokescreen?

Whoaa

DRAFTCEPTION!!!
Originally posted by mayo49:

Not ready to replace a Pro Bowl caliber receiver for a guy who has yet to play a single snap in the NFL.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 4, 2014 at 10:36 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Not ready to replace a Pro Bowl caliber receiver for a guy who has yet to play a single snap in the NFL.

LOL, I'm what I'm saying is Crabtree won't be back anyways, so we'd have Beckham as his replacement.
[ Edited by mayo49 on May 4, 2014 at 10:49 AM ]
LOL, I'm what I'm saying is Crabtree won't be back anyways, so we'd have Beckham as his replacement.

Was there some secret Webzone vote to determine this? How are people coming up with this exactly? I don't see why Crabtree wouldn't be back, especially with the salary cap increasing once again. When and why did people begin automatically accepting that he's just going to be gone. Did people really not see what the offense looked like without him?

I don't see how they let the best receiver this team has had since T.O., just walk right out the door.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 4, 2014 at 11:19 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Was there some secret Webzone vote to determine this? How are people coming up with this exactly? I don't see why Crabtree wouldn't be back, especially with the salary cap increasing once again. When and why did people begin automatically accepting that he's just going to be gone. Did people really not see what the offense looked like without him?

I don't see how they let the best receiver this team has had since T.O., just walk right out the door.

Is he going to be worth what him and his agent are going to demand? We still have Aldon and Iupati to consider. Unless, Crabtree gives us a hometown discount he's probably a goner.

Not necessarily the team's choice. I don't know Crab at all, but he and Eugene Parker really busted our nuts over a slotted rookie contract. Parker is still his agent. Whoever you choose to blame for that rookie holdout, they're both still involved now. If he wants QB money, how could they keep him? Even Franchising him could bust our cap, if Paraalke work something out with Aldon, franchise WR money could be tough to come by.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Rascal:
I just don't see the need to trade up to get him. If we want speed and explosiveness, I would take Paul Richardson over Beckham any day.

I think that I would take Beckham.

Paul Richardson--In his last 25 college games,Richardson he had 122 receptions for 1898 yards
He averaged 15.56 a reception and 75.92 yards a game.

Odell Beckham Jr.--In his last 26 college games, Beckham he had 102 receptions for 1865 yards.
He averaged 18.28 a reception and 71.73 yards a game.

The overall stats are very similar. Beckham has a better average per catch, but Richardson has more catches and more yards.

But, Beckham brings more to the table. Beckham is also a very good return man. He returns both punts and kick offs.

Richardson has not demonstrated that he has any return skills. We need a player with good return skills.

Beckham also played against tougher competition.

I would take Beckham before Richardson.

I like a lot about Ricardson, but Beckham can block and return well. The difference is that we could get two very good players for what it might cost to secure Beckham.

The difference is it won't cost us a 1st round pick which could be used on a top corner. As for Beckham's return game, well I have that covered cos Dri Archer is in my draft.

I was agreeing with you on the value, but Archer doesn't return punts. Maybe he could Learn like LMJ did, but LMJ was garbage at it his rookie year.
Is he going to be worth what him and his agent are going to demand? We still have Aldon and Iupati to consider. Unless, Crabtree gives us a hometown discount he's probably a goner.

Once again, I don't see the 49ers letting that happen. If someone has to walk, Iupati can walk, much easier to find a starting left guard than a true upper echelon receiver.
If we draft one more short receiver, I am done with this team. The whole freaking roster is filled with tiny receivers. We need a beast that can go up and get balls in the redzone. Maybe free up VD a little for christ sake.

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Not necessarily the team's choice. I don't know Crab at all, but he and Eugene Parker really busted our nuts over a slotted rookie contract. Parker is still his agent. Whoever you choose to blame for that rookie holdout, they're both still involved now. If he wants QB money, how could they keep him? Even Franchising him could bust our cap, if Paraalke work something out with Aldon, franchise WR money could be tough to come by.

I don't see anything like that happening, I think if he gets a deal along the lines of what Percy Harvin got from Seattle, then I don't see it being an issue. If the cap was remaining flat, sure I'd agree with you but with the 49ers having some more flexibility now, I can see Crabtree, Aldon and Kaepernick all being with the 49ers for at least the next 4-5 years.
Originally posted by Nicks240:
If we draft one more short receiver, I am done with this team. The whole freaking roster is filled with tiny receivers. We need a beast that can go up and get balls in the redzone. Maybe free up VD a little for christ sake.

Once again. Patton-6'0", Crabtree-6'1", Boldin-6'1", Baldwin-6'4". Tiny??
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Once again, I don't see the 49ers letting that happen. If someone has to walk, Iupati can walk, much easier to find a starting left guard than a true upper echelon receiver.

Oh, I agree, but is Crabtree still an upper echelon receiver or is he now damaged goods?
Oh, I agree, but is Crabtree still an upper echelon receiver or is he now damaged goods?

Clearly still an upper echelon receiver. He was making big plays shortly after coming back from injury. I expect him to perform even better this season.
I don't see anything like that happening, I think if he gets a deal along the lines of what Percy Harvin got from Seattle, then I don't see it being an issue. If the cap was remaining flat, sure I'd agree with you but with the 49ers having some more flexibility now, I can see Crabtree, Aldon and Kaepernick all being with the 49ers for at least the next 4-5 years.

What if Crab gets hurt again? What if he signs a giant deal, gets hurt and misses TC again? These questions matter. We can't support a player getting Percy money and Percy playing time. I'd like to have him back, but I'm more interested in the team protecting itself. Jonas Jennings was a dominant football layer who got paid a lot of money to play 6-10 games a year for us. Our cap could absorb it okay then, because we had 2-3 elite players, and Frank and Pat were still on their rookie deals. We are bursting with developed talent that needs to be paid now, and I'm not convinced that we can get 16 games a year out of Crab. If Paraalke can work out a contract that pays him at an elite level, but only if he plays, I'd be on board, but I can't imagine ANY football player signing off on that contract. Too much risk for the player.
Share 49ersWebzone